Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proof barrels worth it?

So 2 part question, slowly getting parts for a couple builds

Are brood barrels worth picking up a carbon for a bolt action? Going to end up doing a .280ai or 28nosler. Is it better to wait till I decide on and buy the action?

Are the ar barrels worth getting their steel or carbon. Finishing an ar10 and at 15, both are for longer (500+) range plinking and the 10 will probably come on a couple deer hunts.

Have never completely built a rifle and for ar’s usually just buy complete uppers so turning to the knowledge of the green screen.

First Proof barrel I’ve shot and now we have 2 more on the way. I’m a big fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mine have all been .3 or less

Comment

Depends on what you want. For pure accuracy needs no not worth it. They look awesome though so it could be worth it for that

Comment

Hunting rifle yes, they are great. For pure accuracy or target shooting, not worth it.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeGraves View Post
            Hunting rifle yes, they are great. For pure accuracy or target shooting, not worth it.
            The bolt action will be a hunting rifle which is what started me looking at them. Then I saw they did ar barrels too

Comment

Originally posted by hooligan View Post
              The bolt action will be a hunting rifle which is what started me looking at them. Then I saw they did ar barrels too
              I have never owned a Proof AR barrel. However, I have seen several guys experience zero shift as it heats up. If you slow fire your AR-10, they should do okay. However, look into dracos barrels for your AR as they have a lifetime warranty and will replace them once shot out.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeGraves View Post
                I have never owned a Proof AR barrel. However, I have seen several guys experience zero shift as it heats up. If you slow fire your AR-10, they should do okay. However, look into dracos barrels for your AR as they have a lifetime warranty and will replace them once shot out.
                Thanks, just checked their site and some good deals going right now

Comment

Junk

Comment

Originally posted by Rem40x View Post
                    Junk
                    Care to give some details?

Comment

I have an 18” on my ar10 build and it combined with a few other lighter weight parts it is pretty light comparable to some ar15’s I went with it becuase I was going to carry my ar10 a lot and wanted the weight reduction, the accuracy was a plus

Comment

Junk
                        LOL.

Shooter or the smith. Not the barrel.

Comment

Junk
                          Do you have any actual experience with them?

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                            LOL.

Shooter or the smith. Not the barrel.
                            kinda what i was thinking

Comment

Unless you are competing with either gun I do not think you will care about what accuracy is lost while you lose the weight.

I have been testing a carbon barrel for a while now. I will say that the accuracy is not as good as a steel barrel, but I expected that. However, the gun that I am testing with is much lighter with the carbon wrap barrel.

The carbon wrap barrel tends to have the first round out of the group by a smidge. It also reacts in a much less predictable way to the suppressor weight. On the bright side, the suppressor seems to tighten groups up with some ammo.

Accuracy comparison- the carbon barrel was tough to find a factory load that it shot well. This is typically not an issue as I reload, but for this test, I left it at factory options. Once I found a consistent load the barrel settled into the .5 range with some .3's and it opened up with other loads.

The steel barrel was much less 'picky' when it came to ammo and it is a reliable .3x gun in almost all cases with it shooting the factory Berger hunting rounds into one hole, including the cold bore shot.

*disclaimer on my results - the carbon wrap is a SAMI chamber. The original barrel is a tighter neck match chamber Bartlien. So I do admit this is not apples to apples. This does point out that even with a factory type chamber the carbon wrap accuracy was very good, and could be cleaned up with hand loads. You can bet that next year I will be hunting with a 16-inch carbon wrap with a match chamber.

Comment

Working...
                              X