Pallet Hatchet Grip

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pallet Hatchet Grip

I've had this small hatchet for years and hated the rubber grip.Time and weather destroyed the rubber and it became dangerous when cutting kindling. It's cheap all metal probably from China,not an Estwing. If it came out to bad I did not care as its in the back yard for firepit/smoker kindling work.I also made a sheath some time back from a piece of thin wall PVC pipe. I had a piece of hard pallet wood with a nice grain and gave it a shot after watching a few inspiring youtube videos I made some mistakes,but I'd do it again.I apologize for the pics that are not in focus but you'd get the idea I'm happy with this result.
    Attached Files

The epoxy job was so fast I did not get a pic and my measurement was off a little but had to keep it moving.I let it cure overnight and began shaping the next morning. I cut to close at the end and hit metal ,it is a learning process,as it came together,it was way better than the original grip.
    Attached Files

Comment

I shaped and sanded,hoping not to hit the metal again. Decided enough was enough as its not a show piece. I applied boiled linseed oil and called it done.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by HoustonR6ryda; 12-17-2019, 07:04 AM.

Comment

finished it up
        Attached Files

Comment

Love the rough character of it! Very nice

Comment

Nice job, looks good!

Comment

Looks great!! Awesome DIY job and great write up.

Curious on your experience with the 5 minute epoxy and how it will hold. Have you used it before in a simillar application and did you consider pinning the handle??

Comment

See no issue with it as long as it works. Nice work!

Sierracharlie out…

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post

Curious on your experience with the 5 minute epoxy and how it will hold. Have you used it before in a simillar application and did you consider pinning the handle??
                  This is my question as well! how will the epoxy hold up without pins in it?

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

nice!

Comment

first rodeo

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post

First....Thank you for the comments.
                        I thought about the pinning also,but the one guy on Youtube that really inspired me was "Diresta" he did not pin his. He was my guide on this project...this is my first use of this epoxy so I have no good review.
                        If it fails and it could...I'd love to do this again with what I learned this trip.

Comment

That turned out nice.

Comment

Looks good

Comment

Cool

Comment

Working...
                              X