No announcement yet.

Who has switched from cultivated crop land to CRP in north and central Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who has switched from cultivated crop land to CRP in north and central Texas

Considering changing some land(about 90ac) of ag crop land to CRP. This is in the Hill/Navarro county area. I want to do it for the help with erosion of the fields, the benefit of the wildlife mainly deer and of course to make a set amount of $$ to help off set cost of ranch expenses.
    I know for the most part you plant it and forget it but since I’m wanting it for benefits beyond just the monetary value when can you partially shred, burn or graze it? If at all? What is the avg payment you receive for it? Do they cover the cost of working the dirt and the seed as well? I’ve looked up a few sites but seems to be some contradictory information and I would think different county extension offices handle it different.

What’s your overall pleasure or displeasure with the program from experience?

Go to NRCS and apply for grass planting. They’ll help with costs to plant, and once it’s established you can graze it or hay it as you see fit.

It’s not an annual payment, but you can utilize it or lease it out for grazing.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
      Go to NRCS and apply for grass planting. They’ll help with costs to plant, and once it’s established you can graze it or hay it as you see fit.

It’s not an annual payment, but you can utilize it or lease it out for grazing.
      I was actually leaning toward the crp program to benefit for the wildlife and the yearly income. But from what I’ve seen the avg income in my county is about $35-37 per acre which isn’t that much for 93 acre. Don’t get me wrong $3400 extra per yr is better than nothing but if you can’t graze it then may be more lucrative to just plant half in native grazing grass and continue to farm the other 45ac.
      Last edited by KactusKiller; 11-22-2021, 09:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
        Considering changing some land(about 90ac) of ag crop land to CRP. This is in the Hill/Navarro county area. I want to do it for the help with erosion of the fields, the benefit of the wildlife mainly deer and of course to make a set amount of $$ to help off set cost of ranch expenses.
        I know for the most part you plant it and forget it but since I’m wanting it for benefits beyond just the monetary value when can you partially shred, burn or graze it? If at all? What is the avg payment you receive for it? Do they cover the cost of working the dirt and the seed as well? I’ve looked up a few sites but seems to be some contradictory information and I would think different county extension offices handle it different.

What’s your overall pleasure or displeasure with the program from experience?
        First your land may not be eligible to enroll.

You have to graze or hay it at least one year out of the program allotment, and income can't exceed payment amount.

No cost reimbursement for initial seeding, and you can get in trouble for it being to weedy, etc

I'm in the panhandle. Average acreage price vary’s greatly. I have capped the program out.

You need to just go see local NRCS/FSA and have a chat. Program has gone down hill IMO. The point values are really screwed, compared to way it use to be. To much wildlife influence and not enough soil conservation
        Last edited by Texans42; 11-22-2021, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Not sure how I got this in classifieds. Mags can you move to ATCF?

Comment

Dang autocorrect, mods can you move to campfire section

Comment

Depending on the elevation change,and erosion factors it can range from the $20-50/ac. Can't graze except in extreme weather conditions, and normally have to give back a prorated amount of your yearly payment. In some areas like ours, you have to mow to prevent it getting over 36" high.

Comment

Not sure what some of you guys have going on but I have had land in CRP for well over 10 years, in that time we were allowed to apply for grazing rights only on a few severe drought years, no haying and required to shrewd 10% mid contract.

It is an annual payment that covers little more than the taxes.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post

This, don't know how much acreage your talking about but you will make more $$$ keeping it in ag production, plus your not gonna see much any wildlife benefits in CRP for 10 to 20 years in that blackland area, it doesn't turn into some of the CRP you are seeing around you overnight.

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
                    Not sure what some of you guys have going on but I have had land in CRP for well over 10 years, in that time we were allowed to apply for grazing rights only on a few severe drought years, no haying and required to shrewd 10% mid contract.

I would encourage you to spend more time at the FSA office before renewal. There are and have been two kinds of grazing/haying allotments managed(non emergency) and emergency, for many years. Also two CRP programs, grassland and regular crp

My payments pay way more then taxes.
                    Last edited by Texans42; 11-23-2021, 10:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
                      This, don't know how much acreage your talking about but you will make more $$$ keeping it in ag production, plus your not gonna see much any wildlife benefits in CRP for 10 to 20 years in that blackland area, it doesn't turn into some of the CRP you are seeing around you overnight.
                      That’s not necessarily the complete view. Why you may make slightly more on a cash lease, your risk is greatly reduced with a crp lease. Even if you do farm yourself, your crop basis might be low enough where you essentially make more money on a CRP lease with highly reduced risk/steadier income stream

Wildlife usage will be determined by native grasses planted. You can have impactful fawn cover in one season.

You won’t ever get rich off CRP since there is a $50k cap, but it’s a great risk mitigation tool

Comment

The parcel I’m looking at this on has been farmed by the same farmer for many yrs. you pay a percentage of the seed cost and in return get that same percentage of the sales. But what if the crop doesn’t come in? I’d just rather get a steady income or just plant grasses to use for cattle grazing and or hay production. Maybe a 70/30 split if grass and hay production. Unless I end up finding the right program that will allow grazing a percentage of the land every yr. it planning to get rich just trying to find the most overall beneficial use of the land.

Comment

One thing is for sure, there is either multiple different levels or divisions of the CRP program or a lot of people don’t know the rules. I’ve heard a lot of different history/opinions from multiple people. I’ll be calling the fsa Monday to try and get some solid info for our county.

Keep the opinions coming tho, I like discussing land with experienced owners.

Comment

Originally posted by KactusKiller View Post
                            The parcel I’m looking at this on has been farmed by the same farmer for many yrs. you pay a percentage of the seed cost and in return get that same percentage of the sales. But what if the crop doesn’t come in? I’d just rather get a steady income or just plant grasses to use for cattle grazing and or hay production. Maybe a 70/30 split if grass and hay production. Unless I end up finding the right program that will allow grazing a percentage of the land every yr. it planning to get rich just trying to find the most overall beneficial use of the land.
                            I crop share out a few sections. It’s typically your highest return over x amount of years. I typically do thirds. Down side is you have to be more involved in insurance, grain storage and sales including futures contracts. From income standpoint, It’s the most risky, second only to self farming.

You need to talk with FSA office about a managed plan and even program eligiblity. There is still CRP out there under 2006 and 2010 farm bill so things change, not everyone keeps up with national and regional programs as most only input one parcel, set and forget it, until renewal. Normally why there is such a discrepancy.

Comment

Working...
                            X