Buck of a lifetime

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buck of a lifetime

I've been blessed to have access to some family land in S.Texas.
    I've been hunting it for the past 15 years or so. I've taken some good deer off of the property, but nothing spectacular.
    I've had target bucks before that would slip away and not be seen till after season.
    This year started off about the same, but with the best and most unique buck I've seen. He showed up in velvet, and hung around, but pretty much nocturnal.
    Didn't hunt in October, too much going on.
    Went for a quick trip open weekend, checked camera, and he was turning into a regular, and even getting out in daylight.
    I made three two trips to go for him. But not only him, but all deer would be no show when I go. Check camera after the hunt, he would be regular, until I was there, then not show up for two days or so, then back to regular. Me and my boy came out yesterday, hunted him yesterday evening, nothing showed up.
    Let my boy hunt another stand in the morning.
    We went back after this buck this evening. But doing one thing different, I parked the truck in a different location. Where I had been parking never bothered the deer before, but had to try something different.
    Get in the stand an hour early, and not long till a nervous doe and yearling are out getting a snack.
    Then after feeder goes off, three perfect bbq sized hogs show up eating what was thrown out past the feed pen.
    They hung around a good while then left.
    About 30 minutes left, and a spike shows up. When this spike is on camera, the big buck is about always there too.
    I'm watching hard, and nothing, till maybe 10-15 minutes of shooting time left. I see the buck appear out of nowhere, behind left of pen. He then proceeds to walk around the pen and I can't see him because of bushes.
    Decide to get gun up and ready, time is quickly going away. Then he steps forwards. He's there, need a little more, takes his last step.
    (I cheated and used a 7mm).

21 points, almost 23.
    17-1/2" outside
    G1s 10-3/4
    (Quick measurements)

Maybe starting to feed cottonseed helped? Started this February. I bet letting him get old helped more.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

What a great buck! Congrats sir!

Comment

Man, that’s one super cool deer. Big congrats on your best buck.

Comment

Really cool, congrats.

Comment

Heck of deer!! Congrats

Comment

Congratulations on getting your best! So far. Really nice looking buck.

Comment

He has it all… what a beautiful buck

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Awesome deer! Congratulations!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Right place right time and he made a mistake. That’s a great buck! Congrats!

Comment

Awesome buck there! Congrats!

Comment

Congrats

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Comment

Dang what a buck!! Congrats

Comment

Congrats

Comment

I guarantee you parking the truck in a different location made the difference. Before he’d known you were there, this time he didn’t.

Comment

Working...
                              X