Road side bucks with heads cut off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
    I know it's not legal. I just can't imagine stopping and trying to cut a bucks head off on side of the road LOL But it appears to be done a lot.

I never fill my tags. I have never killed more than one buck in a year and I hunt in a three buck county.

I would 100% cut a monster bucks head and burn a tag for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
      I hear Game Wardens are doing it? Not sure of reasons.

Game wardens will cut head off at the back of the skull on bucks... the two reasons I have been told are to stop people from picking em up and also utilize for studies (aging and stuff) and counts on deer hit on roadways

Comment

Road side bucks with heads cut off

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
        How long does it take to get the test back? You'd think if GWs were doing it on fresh kills, and the tests were neg., they could also be charged with wasting game meat by not taking the whole thing?

Did I read this wrong or are you suggesting a GW be charged with wasting game meat if they left the carcass on something they didn’t kill because their job requires them to test roadkill samples on the side of the road?
        Last edited by Smart; 11-26-2021, 05:14 AM.

Comment

How long does it take to get the test back? You'd think if GWs were doing it on fresh kills, and the tests were neg., they could also be charged with wasting game meat by not taking the whole thing?

Wait what?????

We’re talking about a deer killed on the side of the road by a vehicle. Game Wardens are testing them for CWD. You think they should write themselves a ticket for wasting game?

Comment

We don’t take the heads. But when it’s between 30-40 degrees we drive the back roads and spray paint a circle around the deer. Then in the morning we drive back and every without a circle is fresh and we take it. Just kidding.

I did notice driving back from Oklahoma yesterday lots of heads were cut off In texas. I assumed it was people wanting the horns but I guess it could be CWD testing

Comment

Most of the headless deer I think is people wanting the antlers.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                Most of the headless deer I think is people wanting the antlers.

That’s right. Welcome to Texas boys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I wonder how many of them qualify as “fresh kills”.

Comment

I know some of them are done by game biologist, they want a brain tissue sample, for CWD. I thought the samples were being taken by game wardens, in some areas it may be game wardens.

There was a dead buck along the road, near our place. My wife saw some guy cutting up the deer. I went to check, to see who, it was a game biologist.

Comment

The biologist doing CWD testing are taking the lymph nodes from the throat. Normally, removing the head will mess this up but maybe the GWs have been trained to do it correctly.

Comment

Haha. I hope you’re kidding.

Comment

Working...
                        X