No announcement yet.

Cattle prices low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The mark up is at the processor to consumer I think. Buying one and butchering it yourself is the way to go. A lot of work though

Comment

Short answer IMO is there are more cattle than the ability to process, and demand is in excess of processing capacity. Need more packer plant capacity

Comment

Originally posted by BrianL View Post
        Short answer IMO is there are more cattle than the ability to process, and demand is in excess of processing capacity. Need more packer plant capacity
        Yup
        https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...orker-shortage

Comment

Originally posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
          You try selling him out right or was something wrong with him? Prices are actually up some here but no where near the crazy prices they getting for meat. I checked on nitrogen and its up to $775 a ton here. I dont see how to make money with cattle anymore.

Im going to build a walk in cooler and start eating more of them. If I can afford the feed to finish them. I hate grass finished meat.
          Yes i did. Everyone is hung up on angus or charlois for some reason. I priced him what i thought was fair. But not one offer. Lots of very nice comments as to how good he looked. I was done with him i take delivery of a registered 18 month old this spring and all my cows were bred. Didnt want to feed him through the winter.

Comment

The exact same thing could be said about lumber.

Comment

Originally posted by SmTx View Post
              You're doing it wrong. Had lunch with a deputy today that covers the sales barn around here.

He said recently a guy sold his cow, got a check cut to him, then went back and re-bought his cow using a hot check.

Genius!

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
              I call BS on this. How did he buy his already sold cow?

Comment

About a month ago my wife sold her 10 year old bull at the sale barn. 1940 lbs @ $0.85 per pound. She had hoped for better. Would have had him slaughtered for lean burger but butcher dates are still like unicorns here.

Comment

Originally posted by oneeye View Post
                  About a month ago my wife sold her 10 year old bull at the sale barn. 1940 lbs @ $0.85 per pound. She had hoped for better. Would have had him slaughtered for lean burger but butcher dates are still like unicorns here.
                  I would say she did really good on that sale.

Comment

He was a bull that weighed 1200 pounds. ( No mention on breed or quality of beef. No one here should be able to make a statement either way on what you got but I can promise you a 1200 pound bull will be discounted a lot.

Also, market timing has a lot to do with price. For example I would never sell a 450 weight stocker in November, but I can't sell them in February or May fast enough.

And finally, YES you are correct, concentration in the packer industry is killing the price so the best you can do is manage what you can.

Comment

I would say she did really good on that sale.
                      I was thinking the same thing.

Comment

I sold an angus bull that damaged his ****** and couldn’t breed. I was expecting about $800 but wound up getting $1600. In my area where you sell them makes a big difference. I get a lot better price by hauling a an extra 20 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by denimdeerslayer View Post
                          I checked on nitrogen and its up to $775 a ton here. I dont see how to make money with cattle anymore.
                          1. Don’t overstock
                          2. Don’t buy fertilizer
                          3. Don’t feed hay unless it’s absolutely necessary

Have your cattle work for you instead of you working for them.

Comment

1200 lbs is light for a 3 year old. Was he in poor condition?

Comment

Originally posted by oneeye View Post
                              She did dang good. It probably should have only brought about .40-.50 per lb to be honest.

i wish i could have gotten that for every old bull ive hauled off.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Red 82 View Post
                                Santa gertrudis. 3 year old.
                                There's part of the answer. Santa Gertrudis do not bring top prices.

Comment

Working...
                                X