No announcement yet.

Keeping track of kids deer kills

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For years I wrote down pertinent info on the der I killed, then rolled up the paper and put it in the shell casing. Date, time, rifle info, bullet info, distance, shot placement, how far the deer ran, location, age, score, who I was with, etc. But, after MLD came along and I was sometimes killing 20 plus deer a season, it got too cumbersome. Plus, it turned into a large bag of shell casings. Now, I just keep a log of all the same info on the computer, along with a photo.

Comment

I didn't track all kills but did all bucks. For the ones that didn't get mounted I hung a long rope on the wall in the shop, first rack is hung upside down at the top, nest rack under it and so on

Comment

I have a nice leather journal with printed photos and a description. But with 5 kids I quickly fell behind.

Comment

Get a Texas map and put a pin in every time they kill a deer. A different color pin for each kid. That way you get the number and the location. As they spread out over the years you get a pretty cool picture of your hunting history in the great state of Texas.

Comment

I’ve done euro or shoulder mounts for almost all of their bucks. Haven’t tallied does, hogs and other game

I like the idea of keeping the casings and writing a note on the casing about the kill.

Comment

wooden score board with years and notched numbers.

Comment

I wish I would have kept better track of the deed I’ve killed. I honestly have no idea. It wasn’t something that was encouraged when I was growing up so after the first few years we quit counting.

I know guys who have killed hundreds and they counted every one

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                  I have a nice leather journal with printed photos and a description. But with 5 kids I quickly fell behind.
                  I also bought my daughter a nice leather photo album. I print out and put all deer (including does) and pig pics in it. I also put her old license in it and a couple of pics of her punching her very first tag.

Comment

The Little man is 10 and has been hunting the last three seasons. I started keeping and have written a bit about each hunt within a journal to give to him down the road. He currently has 6 whitetail and 2 hogs under his belt. 1 euro (first deer), 1 antler mount, and a buck from Colorado Bend at the taxi.

It may mean more to me than him at the moment, but I hope he enjoys reading what I have written about the hunts and their location when he gets older.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                    X