No announcement yet.

Unleaded gas cost more with card

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You are looking at it the wrong way. They don't charge more to use the card. That would be a payment card rule violation. They give a discount for paying in cash.

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
      When I had my beer store.
      I used to charge $1.00 to use a credit card.
      Because, the commercial credit card company I used, guaranteed that the
      credit card was not stolen, or compromised..
      Well, I got a really nasty letter from the Texas state Comptroller's office
      to knock it off, or they would file charges against me..
      They explained, that only city offices, and municipalities were allowed to
      charge for a credit card use. So beats me..

Yes it’s illegal to charge a card fee but they can give discounts for cash. Dumb

Comment

Actually it’s now legal for a business to charge a convenience fee for using a card. There are some specific rules around it, but it did used to violate the payment card rules.

I find it funny though because since COVID there are now so many merchants that discourage using cash or will only take a card payment.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybo31 View Post
          Why do gas stations charge 5 to 10 cents more for using a card instead of cash? In years past it was a few stations here and there that did it, now it seems they are all doing it. And it's only regular unleaded. Not plus, premium or diesel. The crap is irritating

They do it for all fuel types.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
            Crazy that an adult had to ask this!
            Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
            ... Nevermind
            Maybe I should have spelled it out slower

I know what credit card fees are and why retailers recoup their fee.
            But, they also do the same thing for debit transaction which I don't think has the same fees added to it.

Kind of like if you go in the liquor store they will give you a small percentage off for using cash or debit.

The question was why is it only on regular unleaded.

Comment

oh!! I see!

Comment

Interesting....... Not surprising that the government stance is do as I say not as I do.

Comment

And why is it only on gas if its a fee to use your card in general? They don't charge extra fees if you go in and grab a case of beer and can of copenhagen and pay with your card?

Comment

Stations around me (bunch of Fuel Max stations) charge the premium for unleaded gasoline, but the do not charge it for diesel...

Comment

And I have seen it where it doesn't show up until you push the button to activate the pump. That is when I hang the nozzle back up and drive off.

Comment

Could you offer a $1 discount if you pay cash?

Comment

So they can under report earnings and funnel cash to Al Qaida....jus sayin

Comment

Credit card fees can quickly eat up your fuel margins on average you might make 10 cents per gallon. Three percent on $3.00 gasoline and you are breaking even.

Comment

Working...
                            X