No announcement yet.

Burn Pile Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lot's of good advice already. My suggestion would be contact your VFD either way, and it may not hurt to let the neighbors (To the extent you have them) know too.

We have had it where we pulled a permit to burn, let the fire department know, let the neighbors know, and the police STILL show up because they are getting calls about a massive fire and smoke for miles.

Comment

How long to wait? Until it is dry. I don't know how big your piles are, but mine are large. Bigger material needs more time to dry. I often have to wait a month - 3 months, then I wind up waiting more because of burn bans. Smaller material can burn on the same day, but you still have to have dry material to get it started.

Comment

If you want to take your burn pile to the next level get it started with diesel and put a gas powered blower to blowing on it,wire or tape the trigger down. Your pile will be gone today.

Comment

The forest service has a write up about brush pile fermentation. If I recall correctly they say the wood is ready to burn at 21 days, but if you miss that window you are better off waiting till the wood dries out. I have two big piles right now myself and I am just waiting till spring gets here.

Comment

Put a diesel soaked bale of hay in the middle of dat and it will burn

Comment

Diesel in a pump up sprayer works great. I cut and burn same day most of the time.

Comment

Most VFD’s will gladly babysit for a few hours for a healthy donation. You be at the mercy of their schedule.

At the very least, let them know when you are burning, I can guarantee they will get calls on it.

Comment

I get a bag of charcoal and lighter fluid to start a fire, works better than diesel for me and is not as expensive.

Comment

Amazing deals on this Propane Torch at Harbor Freight. Quality tools & low prices.

Great little fire starters that used to be $15 ish now $25. Don't buy the push button igniter one b/c they break after only a few uses.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
                      Most VFD’s will gladly babysit for a few hours for a healthy donation. You be at the mercy of their schedule.

At the very least, let them know when you are burning, I can guarantee they will get calls on it.
                      Yes, by all means call you local FD and check on burn bans and let them know what you are doing and where. They will appreciate it a lot.

Comment

Pear burner and a propane tank will light plenty of piles.

Comment

How did a question I asked 7 1/2 yrs ago get bumped?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
                            I have always cleared and burned the same day.
                            This. Old tires help.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
                              How did a question I asked 7 1/2 yrs ago get bumped?
                              Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              somebody is curious or looking for information. So, did those pile burn yet?

Comment

Originally posted by bsills View Post
                                TTT
                                Any advice on burning brush piles? I have about two dozen I need to burn across the ranch and some look easier than others. I have a couple that are a little to close for comfort to standing living trees. How wet do you let the pasture get before you burn? Couple drizzly days or after a hard rain better?

Is this type of burning something the local VFD would come and supervise for a donation?

All tips appreciated.
                                I burned a huge old pile the morning after a 1.5" rainfall (and it was drizzling/raining as it burned) Tough to light but doesn't flame up all at once.

Post some pictures of the iffy ones you want to burn.

Comment

Working...
                                X