TBH Opinion needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rtp View Post
    Call the game warden and ask who is legally supposed to tag it. That will settle it. Can’t believe two grown *** men can’t resolve it and need someone to step in to do it for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    These are my thoughts. Am I supposed to use my tag on another fellas deer? Doesn’t the second shooter have to tag it legally?

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
      I would be interested in how the first shot happened if I was lease manager. I know things happen but that shot was very bad off.

My thoughts exactly

Comment

I have never flip flopped my opinion more on any thread in all the years. This was great.

Comment

Originally posted by Hotrodd View Post
          One of our lease members gut shot a REALLY nice 8 point on opening weekend of gun season, he ran off leaving little to no blood trail, another lease member saw the deer at his stand, guts hanging out and shoots and kills the deer. These 2 stands are roughly 1,000 yds apart. Who’s deer is it? Legally, morally? The second shooter took the deer and the first shooter is now mad at the second shooter. As the lease manager I’m not sure where to stand on the issue. Just looking for y’all’s opinion.

TIA
          For clarification the first hunters shot was about an inch in front of the crease of the rear leg and about a quarter inch above the belly line. To say the first hunter “barely nicked” him would be a fair statement.
          "Barely nicked" is a grazing shot across the back or brisket, this is a CF shot if I ever heard of one.

Originally posted by Ag 89 View Post
          If a bowhunter has never done that he/she has not hunted much or is lying.
          Guess I don't hunt enough or don't take dumb shots

Originally posted by CyTxCazador View Post
          This clears it up for me.

Q: Who “killed” the deer
          A: 2nd shooter

Not really much more to it than that. If #1 wants to get mad, tell him he should’ve been as good of a shot as #2. Case closed morally and legally IMHO.
          Based on timeline and shot placement I'm leaning more this way but...

Originally posted by rtp View Post
          Call the game warden and ask who is legally supposed to tag it. That will settle it. Can’t believe two grown *** men can’t resolve it and need someone to step in to do it for them.

It brings me to the best point that Richard made here on this thread. When I was a teenager we were a lease in Sonora and had a similar case. Guy shot a 10pt at 75yds with a .300 Win mag and naturally it zipped right thru this buck and he takes off running. Mr. Hen Pecked comes into camp 100mph trying to get on the road back to the Houston area. We tell him to chill and we'll all go help him search for the buck. He's not having it and is gone. Not even an hour after he leaves I found the buck down the hill from his stand in a old goat pen and one of the other guys on the lease tag it as his own.

Fast forward to end of season Hen peck throws them under the bus when the game warden checked the camp and the tags and wildlife resource documents don't line up. They get ticketed and kicked off the lease, even though to this day I blame Hen Peck 100% for the whole mess.

Based on this experience I'd ask for clarification from the GW

Comment

Too much

If they need input to work it out I’d hunt elsewhere

Comment

TBH Opinion needed

Flip a coin and make the loser hug the winner. That’s really how petty this really is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

First hunters deer.

With guts hanging out, he’d have died eventually. One way or another.

How many times have deer been wounded and a tracker comes in and finishes it off? Is the deer now the tracker’s?-No.

Comment

Offer that each one gets an antler. The one who readily surrenders his antler to keep the rack intact is the one who should go home with the deer!

Jk. Maybe meat to second guy. Rack to first. Individual pictures with each.

Comment

One of our lease members gut shot a REALLY nice 8 point on opening weekend of gun season, he ran off leaving little to no blood trail, another lease member saw the deer at his stand, guts hanging out and shoots and kills the deer. These 2 stands are roughly 1,000 yds apart. Who’s deer is it? Legally, morally? The second shooter took the deer and the first shooter is now mad at the second shooter. As the lease manager I’m not sure where to stand on the issue. Just looking for y’all’s opinion.

TIA
                    Im not sure legally its your decision to make? The right thing to do would be for hunter 2 to give the the deer to hunter 1 which I would I do, but legally I think the decision is up to hunter 2 either way he chooses.

Comment

TIA
                      This is a good question. I would definitely kill the deer out of Mercy and give to second hunter. But a part of me wonders if this would be legal under the law.

Comment

if the deer had jumped the fence, and the neighbor kills it, is he obligated to give it back to the guy who shot the deer? No, he is not.

An hour and over a 1/2 mile had passed since the first hunter shot it. Its not "I touched it first so its mine" he made a poor shot and the 2nd hunter didn't. He didn't shoot it out of malicous intent, so its up to him if he wants to give it up to the guy who only wounded it.

I would tell the first hunter to practice more, the fact that he is upset that he isn't getting a trophy for someone else finishing his job tells you something about that guy

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                          I would be interested in how the first shot happened if I was lease manager. I know things happen but that shot was very bad off.
                          Mistakes happen. You’ve never made a bad shot?

Heck this place stays full of “tracking dog needed” posts. I’ve shot a ton of critters. Made some great shots. I’ve also made some I’m ashamed of. It happens.

Comment

The flip side of that is this:

If all the other hunters knew that deer belongs to whoever shoots it first then they may not be so quick to ruin their hunt by firing a shot at a wounded deer. After all it ain’t their deer.

I’ve seen stuff like this happen. I’ve managed a hunting lease since 1989.

Just two years ago a guy shot a doe. He couldn’t find it. He called in a dog. Later another hunter saw the doe step out in his shooting lane. He shot and killed it. It dropped in its tracks. The hunter sat in the stand and filled out his tags. When he was getting out of the blind the dog came running up to the deer. Thankfully the hunter didn’t shoot the dog as it was biting at the dead deer.

The tracker showed up and leashed his dog. He was very grateful the hunter didn’t kill his dog. The first shooter wasn’t so happy when he shows up because the 2nd shooter had already tagged it and was about to load it up. They got into a big argument. The 2nd shooter refused to give the deer to the first guy.

1. Because it “looked fine” when it walked out
                            2. He killed it.
                            3. He already tagged it.

Stuff like this happens all the time. It’s even worse hunting elk on public land in Colorado!
                            Last edited by AntlerCollector; 11-14-2021, 04:57 PM.

Comment

All that being said, if i were the 2nd shooter I’d give it to the 1st guy.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                                All that being said, if i were the 2nd shooter I’d give it to the 1st guy.
                                I agree 100% but legally its the second hunters decision what he wants to do. I have never seen a set of lease rules that stat lease president or manager will decide who gets a deer that's legally shot.

Comment

Working...
                                X