• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Walker View Post
    Yes. No more chl. It's ltc now
    Semantics…

Comment

Originally posted by retrieverman View Post
      Semantics…
      Sort of. So when I had a TX CHL, I could drive all the way to WI with my pistol concealed (Except MN), and had reciprocity.

When Texas went to LTC, several states dropped reciprocity, include WI.

Which is why I wanted to ask, because I would love to go back to the CHL just for travelling purposes.

Comment

Thanks for reminder. Just did mine.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Comment

I have kept my Texas permit active even though we have moved to Iowa. I also have an Iowa permit. The Iowa permit is called a PWC (Permit to Carry Weapons). Even though as of July 21st Iowa went permitless I will still kept it active for the reasons mentioned in the posts above.

"As of July 1, 2021, Iowa is a permitless carry state for both open carry and concealed carry for anyone at least 21 years old that may lawfully possess a handgun. Iowa will continue to issue Permits to Carry Weapons (PCW), for reciprocity purposes".

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dusty Britches View Post
            Wrong. Where I work it is against state law to open carry. Plus a CHL provides some other legal protections when used for self defense. And, with a CHL, there's no background checks or waiting period to buy handguns or long guns.
            Except apparently you missed my last sentence.

I know it is wrong. That is why I wrapped it up saying I do not believe what I just stated but I know some people were probably going to make the comment. I have seen that comment when the new law was being debated and when it became active.

Comment

Wrong. Where I work it is against state law to open carry. Plus a CHL provides some other legal protections when used for self defense. And, with a CHL, there's no background checks or waiting period to buy handguns or long guns.

Tracey,

What state law are you referring to?

What additional protections are afforded by having an LTC in a justified self defense shooting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by mmoses View Post
                You got some bad info. It's legal to open and conceal carry with or without an LTC in Texas. (there are exceptions to certain places yes)

The only reasons to get an LTC are to avoid a background check when buying a gun and reciprocity with other states.

Also, I think it helps to get out of tickets.
                Not so fast.

(Trying to do this off of memory)

Other benefits of an LTC are carrying on the campus of colleges in most areas as long as it is concealed and… carrying on a premise where a sign which prohibits weapons such as a private business.

College campuses by law passed about six or eight years ago, must allow carrying a concealed handgun if a person has an LTC (I think the law came out when it was still a CHL). A college can restrict certain areas but most areas must allow carrying concealed weapons on a college campus IF The person has an LTC. So if you have an LTC you can basically go on a college campus if you carry concealed and if you do not have any LTC, it becomes a class A misdemeanor or up to a year in the county jail.

Also, if there is a sign (30.05… it used to be 30.06 and 30.07 signs but that changed with permitless carry) that prohibits entry with a weapon, it is a class A misdemeanor to enter UNLESS The person has an LTC. If a person has an LTC and enters by going past a sign prohibiting entry with a weapon, it is only a class C misdemeanor with a $200 fine maximum. So if an unlicensed person carries a handgun on a premises with a 30.05 sign, it could be up to a year in jail and up to a $4000 fine. If a person carries with a handgun passed the same sign, it is a maximum $200 fine and no jail time can be assessed unless the person was discovered and given a warning to leave and the LTC owner refused to leave.

I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice but the way I remember this law, if you have an LTC and carry concealed where no one should notice anyway, you can carry past a 30.05 sign and if discovered, can only face a $200 fine unless for example a store owner catches you and tells you to leave and you say no. Of course the same law applies if open carried but that becomes kind of obvious.

Maybe I will take the time to look this up later but, I believe the benefits of an LTC are currently….

1. No background check for purchasing a firearm at an FFL
                2. The ability to lawfully carry on a college campus if a handgun is concealed (except in limited areas as defined by school rules).
                3. Carrying concealed in approximately 25 other states where the Texas LTC is excepted.
                4. A $200 maximum fine only for ignoring a do not enter with a weapon sign as opposed to up to a $4000 fine up to a year in jail without an LTC.
                5. It appears from comments by some people that police officers Tampa show more discretion on traffic charges with people with an LTC.

In my opinion …

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                  Tracey,

What additional protections are afforded by having an LTC in a justified self defense shooting?

I am not speaking for him but I have seen a lot of people, particularly after the Rittenhouse case, that believe if you were unlawfully possessing of a firearm, self-defense is not legal.

It is my opinion that if you are unlawfully carrying a weapon and you lawfully kill someone in self-defense, you will be cleared on the self-defense charge but may be charged with the unlawfully carrying a weapon.

I have seen that in so many different forums. If you’re carrying any weapon unlawfully, any self-defense even if otherwise legal, becomes murder. I say that is complete BS unless there is a specific state law in whatever state you are in but even then I doubt such a state law exists.

Comment

Well one of the benefits of the LTC is being able to carry in reciprocal states that don’t have
                    constitutional Cary. To me it’s worth the $40.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                      Tracey,

It is against state law to open carry on college campuses. To conceal carry you must have a permit.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                        Yes. No more chl. It's ltc now
                        Hmm, failure to read well on my part.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                          Hmm, failure to read well on my part.
                          I'm bad about that too.

Comment

I just did mine yesterday.

Comment

CHL Renewal - don't get no easier!

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
                              I am not speaking for him her but I have seen a lot of people, particularly after the Rittenhouse case, that believe if you were unlawfully possessing of a firearm, self-defense is not legal.

It is my opinion that if you are unlawfully carrying a weapon and you lawfully kill someone in self-defense, you will be cleared on the self-defense charge but may be charged with the unlawfully carrying a weapon.

I have seen that in so many different forums. If you’re carrying any weapon unlawfully, any self-defense even if otherwise legal, becomes murder. I say that is complete BS unless there is a specific state law in whatever state you are in but even then I doubt such a state law exists.

[emoji6]

Comment

It is against state law to open carry on college campuses. To conceal carry you must have a permit.

Yep. Thanks for the clarification.

Comment

Working...
                                X