No announcement yet.

If you had 8 hunts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Assuming you know the property from past hunting trips. I’d dump 100 pounds of corn in a likely spot the night I arrived to the area.

Comment

I would try baiting with some type of range cubes or some other cattle feed. Rattling along the creek or river when weather is right might be productive.

Comment

If the deer have not been baited I would still try apple scented deer corn over any other type of bait.

And rattling antlers are def. a must.

Find a well used trail and set up over it...corn pile is just to stop them in one spot to allow for a shot

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
          If you had Thursday afternoon thru Monday morning to hunt a place with no stands, no feeders and essentially zero human hunting pressure, what would you use for bait piles aside from corn?
          pears, alfalfa, persimmons or some kind of sweet feed, and i have in the past used rock salt in a pile,,,, put it out the night before season , it rained during the night and i killed two off of it the next morning, the feeder was about 60 yards away,,, around me pears and persimmons bring them running

Comment

Originally posted by SRK14 View Post
            Assuming you know the property from past hunting trips. I’d dump 100 pounds of corn in a likely spot the night I arrived to the area.
            This is a spot that I hunted last year and did just that. I found a spot with a lot of heavily used game trails coming out of a thicket and dumped 100lbs of the corn on the ground. I had 9 does on it the first morning and shot a decent buck checking a scent wick with doe estrous on the last morning. I thought about taking sweet feed or roated soybeans too but not sure.
            Last edited by Pineywoods; 11-09-2021, 08:27 PM.

Comment

rifle or bow hunting?

If its the right time id definitely try rattling

Comment

Originally posted by JakeM View Post
                rifle or bow hunting?

If its the right time id definitely try rattling
                I'll have the rifle on this trip

Comment

Big&j is what is put out that stuff works

Comment

Apples, carrots, and sweet potatoes

Comment

My local atwoods store carries an attractant called “deer candy” it is made by elusive whitetails. It has a strong aroma and I’ve had luck using it in the past. I’ve also had good luck with a 16% sweet feed that was a little too hot for a horse I had. Deer tore it up as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Pineywoods View Post
                        I'll have the rifle on this trip
                        Id get a long bipod and find a tree where you can see crossings bed to feed areas and try some rattling.

Comment

Oh yeah. With a rifle, corn 300 yds in each direction and hunt. Good luck. Should be a whopper there

Comment

Find elevation on a cut and lay a yellow brick road as far as you can shoot in both directions. Take a lawn chair a bog pod and a sack lunch, snacks and drinks. Make a day of it.. Horns never hurt. Worth a try.
                            If the wheat is up and you can hunt it use same plan and hunt that.
                            Last edited by Abcdj; 11-09-2021, 09:51 PM.

Comment

If you had 8 hunts...

Corn, a lot.
                              A rub lineā€¦big aggressive rub line.
                              Rattlin horns.

Leave the gimmicks at Walmart mart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Abcdj View Post
                                Find elevation on a cut and lay a yellow brick road as far as you can shoot in both directions. Take a lawn chair a bog pod and a sack lunch, snacks and drinks. Make a day of it.. Horns never hurt. Worth a try.
                                If the wheat is up and you can hunt it use same plan and hunt that.
                                This is how I would approach it. Setup where you can see the farthest and glass.

Comment

Working...
                                X