Announcement

Collapse

TBH Maintenance

Ongoing TBH Website maintenance this evening.
Your TBH visit may not be optimal during this service window.
See more
See less

Compound Bow vs Crossbow.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compound Bow vs Crossbow.

I'm sure that this question has been asked before, but not by me. I want some real help in deciding which ones to use.

Here are the criteria that I need to work with
    1. Shooting from the ground (afraid of heights). Movement when drawing a bow
    2. Have been told to shoot left-handed because I'm left eye dominant.
    3. Unsteady hands due to medication.
    4. Cost
    5. 56 years old

Please tell me any tips you have for ground hunting.

Thanks In advance.

get a pop up, a crossbow, and a caldwell field pod. elevate the pop up 4-5ft. and you are in business.
    Last edited by jshouse; 09-20-2021, 02:30 PM.

Comment

I almost always ground hunt. I am usually about 15 yards from the deer. Make sure you play the wind and place your blind where they will look past it and not at it. I use a brush blind with small holes to shoot out of.

Comment

Compound with a light draw. If the compound with light draw is not an option, i'd just use a gun. But that's just me.

Edit: I misread. I thought there was an issue pulling back a compound.
        Last edited by Fmjag64; 09-20-2021, 02:33 PM.

Comment

You can use a bow or crossbow out of a ground blind...left or right handed. The shakes due to medication may be the deciding factor as the crossbow is usually rested on something to steady it whereas a bow is free floating. You really need to shoot them both before deciding. I've seen shaky folks settle down at full draw and on the flip side buck fever can cause even the steadiest grown man to shake as well... I'd try them both and make a decision. 56 is no big deal...60lbs bows are yesterdays 70lb bows performance wise. I'm 52, shoot a 60lb bow and have since 2007.
          Last edited by Smart; 09-20-2021, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Try em both, either are legal and just as fun to hunt with.

Comment

I can’t hold a bow steady anymore either, but I’m 74. I sold my bows and bought a crossbow and I’ve never shot it at anything besides a target, and that only enough to sight it in. I just can’t care anything about hunting with it. That said, if it doesn’t bother you then use a crossbow. They are deadly accurate with very little practice and require very little movement on your part. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Comment

I was visiting friends last few weeks and Fred has a crossbow that we were tinkering with. Even shooting it off a rest at 20 yds I know I can shoot my compound more accurately and consistently. Don't know why but it is/was obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                  get a pop up, a crossbow, and a caldwell field pod. elevate the pop up 4-5ft. and you are in business.
                  This right here.

Comment

I'm 61 and have hunted with recurve, compound and crossbow. I've enjoyed all three over the years, and it now seems like just keeps getting busier and busier, and I just don't have the time, or really the inclination, to get out and shoot/practice.i am not planning on any hunting during archery season, but if I was, I would be shooting a crossbow.

Also, my youngest brother, who is 56 now, lives in NJ where it's almost all archery season. He broke down and bought a crossbow and said it's super sweet.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have both, and a recurve to boot. Crossbow requires less practice if you are use to shooting a rifle. Crossbow let’s you reach out a little farther. I shoot my crossbow for my hunts in hill country when shots tend to be 30-50 yards, and my compound in East Texas when 15 -30 yards, and my recurve when up close and personal at less than 15 yards. Fun to shoot all three of them.

Comment

Originally posted by jswaringen View Post
                        I'm sure that this question has been asked before, but not by me. I want some real help in deciding which ones to use.

Here are the criteria that I need to work with
                        1. Shooting from the ground (afraid of heights). Movement when drawing a bow
                        2. Have been told to shoot left-handed because I'm left eye dominant.
                        3. Unsteady hands due to medication.
                        4. Cost
                        5. 56 years old

Please tell me any tips you have for ground hunting.

Thanks In advance.
                        fieldpods on sale on amazon..

Comment

It depends on how much practice you intend for the regular bow.

I’d go with a Excalibur Matrix like a G340 or Grz, its sound, simple, accurate, and fairly easy to draw back.

Crossbows can get folks into trouble because they naturally want to pretend its a rifle, knowing your range is imperative.

Comment

Shoot it like a bow for yardage. I’ve killed a lot of critters with my bottom dollar sniper 370. Great entry level xbow. Would love to have an excaliber micro bit can’t justify the cost when the sniper gets the job done.

Comment

Like others have said, go shoot both and see which one you like better.

Also I wouldn't worry to much about being right handed and left eye dominant. That's how I am and shoot a bow, shotgun and rifle all right handed. Probably shoot a bow and rifle average and probably shoot a shotgun a little above average. Been doing it all my life that way.

Comment

Working...
                              X