Fixed wireless internet . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TX_Hoghunter View Post
    I use fixed wireless here in Fruitvale. I hit the tower in Edgewood. I work from home as a programmer but I also help the support department if they have some sort of major issue. That means I am normally hooked up to several linux servers around the county. The connection works great for me most of the time. I do have a 60 foot tower with a 20 foot mast to get over the trees. If I remember correctly I had to be within 7 or so miles of the tower. As the crow flies I think I was between 5 and 6. I use Texas Cellnet out of Van.

-john

Community Internet Providers came out and did a site survey at my place for their internet. Of course I need a 40’ tower to get over the trees. Their closest tower is off 34 near Cash so plenty close. Just was trying to avoid the tower option.

Comment

I live north of Maxey in Lamar county and I put a cell booster on my temporary home. I get full 4g inside from verizon. I have been looking at this and there is a guy in Paris that has this wireless program. But he must not want to sell it very bad since he just did a drive by for signal and said maybe it would work. Hopefully I will be in the new place soon and I know I get good signal in the pasture.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasCanesFan View Post
        Which Weboost did you get Michael?
        Mine is the single room. This looks similar to what I have...
        Boosts the voice and cellular data networks, including 5G, from all major carriers Great for single rooms & small space. Can cover up to 1 large room with a strong existing outside signal. A weaker outside signal will result in less coverage.

...although mine didn't come with the inside desktop antenna. I had this in the previous rent house (about 1700 sq ft) and moved it to the new place (2k sq ft) and it seems to have good coverage, even as a "single room."

The current NightHawk is 5G capable.
        My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by hpdrifter View Post
          I am lost.

Been researching some of this and I am lost.

Have a metal roof. Was looking for a antennae/booster.......saw from $29 to $500???

Wife has AT&T cell and it's touch and go. Mostly it works fine in house, sometimes not.

Someone said you need a modem?????

Seems to me if you can get it on internet, why would you need modem?

I take it a smart TV could be run/fed off of the Netgear nighthawk?????
          I have/had decent signal (2-3 bars LTE) standing outside our house but absolutely zero signal inside the metal building. The goal is to capture the signal and route it inside the building, but you also need to "broadcast" the signal to the areas of the house you want/need that signal.

The previous owners had a simple Wilson booster (discontinued, but looks like you can buy on ebay for <$50) mounted to the porch that acquired the signal, ran via RG6 into the house (they ran it through the kitchen window) and then a desktop "booster" sitting in the kitchen window. I don't know how close they had to be to the kitchen for their phones to work, but when we were first looking at the house we got spotty signal, at best.

I mounted my antenna on a pole at about 30' (currently, although I could extend it higher) and ran the signal inside the metal building to the top of our decked roof of the living quarters. I plugged in the booster and ran the signal to the panel antenna, which sends the signal inside the living area. I'm getting good enough signal (so far) with the panel on the deck (just running through one layer of drywall, but I made accommodations to mount the panel inside near the ceiling if required.

My booster was around $300-350 several years ago, if I recall, but I HAD to have a good signal for work. So far it's working great in the new place and has been well worth the money (especially now considering the money I'm saving on internet.)
          My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
            If you have Frontier available then that’s probably your best option.
            Do NOT use Frontier. They are going to file Chapter 11 Bankruptcy in March. They also have the worst customer service in the tel-com industry.

Comment

Watching this thread. Did a little research on OTR today

Comment

Community Internet Providers came out and did a site survey at my place for their internet. Of course I need a 40’ tower to get over the trees. Their closest tower is off 34 near Cash so plenty close. Just was trying to avoid the tower option.
                Yes, I'm out that way .
                I do a lot of towers for CIP customers. Needing one is almost unavoidable. Without having a very close broadcast tower, or a clear line of sight, all types of signal suck. Even the OTR type stuff.
                Especially out here in East Texas with all these 80' pines trees. Pine needles are also extremely dense as compared to a regular leaf, and make service a nightmare.
                If you are not wanting point to point, such as CIP, then your next option will be something like OTR, Blazing Hog, Ubify, etc...
                I have multiple people pulling 80 mbps on this type equipment, but it requires a good proximity to the tower, in the direction it is sectored, without obstructions(which generally always requires a tower).
                Sometimes 100' or more depending on location.
                You may try Nextlink also.
                They were just hanging radios in your area a couple weeks ago.

Comment

No longer seeing the Night hawk router package on OTR. Anyone have a link to this? Or which model # you guys are using? This looks like the fix I’ve been needing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Google internet for rv. You can find several different providers if you are looking to get away from satellite internet. There are providers that use different networks. I was using hughesnet and they were horrible. Switched to High-Speed solutions. Unlimited for 49.95 per month. No added taxes or other fees. They blow the doors off Hughes net. It uses the AT&T towers. You can order a router that is stationary or you can get a chargeable on to carry with you. Can stream up to 15 devises on the one I got. Works through out the house.

Comment

Originally posted by ivanblock View Post
                      No longer seeing the Night hawk router package on OTR. Anyone have a link to this? Or which model # you guys are using? This looks like the fix I’ve been needing.

I ordered my NightHawk from Best Buy while I was researching provider options. You can activate OTR same day once you have the router. I believe there is a $60 connection fee.
                      My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                        Yes, I'm out that way .
                        I do a lot of towers for CIP customers. Needing one is almost unavoidable. Without having a very close broadcast tower, or a clear line of sight, all types of signal suck. Even the OTR type stuff.
                        Especially out here in East Texas with all these 80' pines trees. Pine needles are also extremely dense as compared to a regular leaf, and make service a nightmare.
                        If you are not wanting point to point, such as CIP, then your next option will be something like OTR, Blazing Hog, Ubify, etc...
                        I have multiple people pulling 80 mbps on this type equipment, but it requires a good proximity to the tower, in the direction it is sectored, without obstructions(which generally always requires a tower).
                        Sometimes 100' or more depending on location.
                        You may try Nextlink also.
                        They were just hanging radios in your area a couple weeks ago.

CIP told me I needed a 40’ tower to get over the trees, all oaks on my place, to get a line of sight to the tower on 34 right behind Garcia Automotive Service. Their tower is really close to my place.

Is that line of sight internet truly the best option?

Comment

CIP told me I needed a 40’ tower to get over the trees, all oaks on my place, to get a line of sight to the tower on 34 right behind Garcia Automotive Service. Their tower is really close to my place.

Is that line of sight internet truly the best option?
                          If you live rural, and have no option for a hardline, then yes it is.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                            If you live rural, and have no option for a hardline, then yes it is.

Guess I need a tower then.

Comment

Originally posted by ivanblock View Post

I just talked with someone at OTR and they don't have any because of their shipments being held up from china due to the coronavirus. Recommended buying thenighthawk from amazon or best buy and then getting the bring your own device package from them

Comment

I'll be looking at this thread in November when my Excede contract is up.

Comment

Working...
                                X