• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sharecropper View Post
    This? . .

#fillthepipeline

Originally posted by sambo73 View Post
    ok, AT&T towers by us suck.....
    I am in y'alls area daily. Would be more than happy to come put a drone up, tell you what's available in your area, etc..
    Doesn't cost anything.
    I do contract work for multiple companies in the area, and there are a lot better options, than satellite.

Comment

What routers are y'all using for multiple devices?

Comment

Originally posted by Sharecropper View Post
        I'm looking to get away from satellite internet . . $80/mo for 25GB . . A friend suggested that I look into fixed wireless internet . . Anyone have this service?. .

#fillthepipeline
        If you have cell signal, you can get OTR Mobile. We get unlimited for 60 bucks a month, and have been very happy with it. I had to use an external antenna for mine, because the cell service was pretty bad inside my house. Only real downside is you have to buy a modem. Good part of that is, my modem has an internal battery so we can take it with us on long trips and have good internet in the vehicle.

Comment

Originally posted by John Paul View Post
          MarkV

I switched to OTR and bought the OTR Netgear Nighthawk package with the SIM card already installed. You don't have to have a router if the Netgear device is close to your TV and or devices, but I mean real close. The Nighthawk has a network cable on the back and I connected with my Apple Airport which serves as a router and works great. 2400 sq ft house and 25-35 download speed 98% of the time. I have been looking at cell boosters and or antennas for the Nighthawk OTR device because it does have two T9 ports on the back for external antennas, etc... I get 2 to 3 bars at the house and it works great, but really wanting to see if I can get 4 or 5 just for kicks. I bet the speed would be 50-60 if I could.
          That's the info I needed. Looks like I will need to add to it then. Was looking at the netgear mesh wifi extenders for the house. Think that would work or just get another router?

Comment

Mark V, not sure about the Mesh wifi never have used that. Only router I have used with it is the Apple Airport so I know that works really good. lol. sorry can't be more help.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
              I am in y'alls area daily. Would be more than happy to come put a drone up, tell you what's available in your area, etc..

Doesn't cost anything.

I do contract work for multiple companies in the area, and there are a lot better options, than satellite.
              PM sent . .

#fillthepipeline

Comment

We are on Olive IP which is cell based and uses an ATT unlimited card. It works great at home but has not worked anywhere else we have taken it, even when ATT cell phones worked great in the same area.

Comment

I have the Netgear NightHawk running on AT&T data only plan at the new place. I've had it for a month and I consistently get >25Mbps down and >4 up, and has high as 45/10. I'm sure it's exactly the same as the OTR service (or several just like it.)

The Nighthawk has one ethernet port and allows up to 20 wireless connections. You can attach a separate switch or router if you need more.

I have zero AT&T signal inside our Barndominium without a booster. I mounted our WeBoost antenna about 35' on a pole and then connected it to the amplifier (single room) inside and we get 2-4 bars LTE, depending on which room we're in. Obviously the Nighthawk will ultimately reside at the source of greatest signal.

I have an outside office that I can get signal without the booster. I still need to see how I'll operate for work once we get fully moved in, but for now I can just grab the NightHawk and take it with me to the office during the day (when the girls are at school/work) and bring it back in during the evenings.

So far (one month) it has performed flawlessly.
                  My Flickr Photos

Comment

I am lost.

Been researching some of this and I am lost.

Have a metal roof. Was looking for a antennae/booster.......saw from $29 to $500???

Wife has AT&T cell and it's touch and go. Mostly it works fine in house, sometimes not.

Someone said you need a modem?????

Seems to me if you can get it on internet, why would you need modem?

I take it a smart TV could be run/fed off of the Netgear nighthawk?????

Comment

Ttt for more info. Thanks to those that have chimed in! This has been a huge learning experience for me.

Comment

Originally posted by John Paul View Post
                        MarkV

I switched to OTR and bought the OTR Netgear Nighthawk package with the SIM card already installed. You don't have to have a router if the Netgear device is close to your TV and or devices, but I mean real close. The Nighthawk has a network cable on the back and I connected with my Apple Airport which serves as a router and works great. 2400 sq ft house and 25-35 download speed 98% of the time. I have been looking at cell boosters and or antennas for the Nighthawk OTR device because it does have two T9 ports on the back for external antennas, etc... I get 2 to 3 bars at the house and it works great, but really wanting to see if I can get 4 or 5 just for kicks. I bet the speed would be 50-60 if I could.
                        Which apple airport are you using?

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post

Doesn't cost anything.

I live in Hunt County, near Cash. You out this way?

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                            I have the Netgear NightHawk running on AT&T data only plan at the new place. I've had it for a month and I consistently get >25Mbps down and >4 up, and has high as 45/10. I'm sure it's exactly the same as the OTR service (or several just like it.)

The Nighthawk has one ethernet port and allows up to 20 wireless connections. You can attach a separate switch or router if you need more.

I have zero AT&T signal inside our Barndominium without a booster. I mounted our WeBoost antenna about 35' on a pole and then connected it to the amplifier (single room) inside and we get 2-4 bars LTE, depending on which room we're in. Obviously the Nighthawk will ultimately reside at the source of greatest signal.

I have an outside office that I can get signal without the booster. I still need to see how I'll operate for work once we get fully moved in, but for now I can just grab the NightHawk and take it with me to the office during the day (when the girls are at school/work) and bring it back in during the evenings.

So far (one month) it has performed flawlessly.

Which Weboost did you get Michael?

Comment

I'm betting when 5g is completely in place, you guys running mobil network modems are going to be blown away how fast it is. Of course, you'll have to get new equipment to use it.

Comment

I use fixed wireless here in Fruitvale. I hit the tower in Edgewood. I work from home as a programmer but I also help the support department if they have some sort of major issue. That means I am normally hooked up to several linux servers around the county. The connection works great for me most of the time. I do have a 60 foot tower with a 20 foot mast to get over the trees. If I remember correctly I had to be within 7 or so miles of the tower. As the crow flies I think I was between 5 and 6. I use Texas Cellnet out of Van.

-john

Comment

Working...
                                X