No announcement yet.

DIY flats skiff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To add to what gator said, I have built my own from BBC plans too.
    I looked at the Salt Works link and one thing I recommend doing different is to use very fine sawdust power/flour to make your fillet mix and not the fumed silica they mention. I believe that the sawdust will be a much stronger joint and the silica would make a brittle joint.

It will not weigh what they say nor draft as shallow as they claim either since this is your first build. I would say that it will take several builds to learn the materials, trust their recommendations and not over build. I added some custom features to my build, against Jacques recommendations on one (I put a tunnel in my boat) and am happy with my results. I bought a few other sets of plans and really want to build at least one more if not a couple. It takes a lot of late nights and some weekends to push this over the goal line. It did not help my build that a major hurricane hit our area in the middle of my project either. Now having kids really took all the extra time and energy I had back then.

Good luck and I'll be following for the results. It is addicting!!!

T

Comment

Originally posted by timoub007 View Post
      I looked at the Salt Works link and one thing I recommend doing different is to use very fine sawdust power/flour to make your fillet mix and not the fumed silica they mention. I believe that the sawdust will be a much stronger joint and the silica would make a brittle joint.

It will not weigh what they say nor draft as shallow as they claim either since this is your first build. I would say that it will take several builds to learn the materials, trust their recommendations and not over build. I added some custom features to my build, against Jacques recommendations on one (I put a tunnel in my boat) and am happy with my results. I bought a few other sets of plans and really want to build at least one more if not a couple. It takes a lot of late nights and some weekends to push this over the goal line. It did not help my build that a major hurricane hit our area in the middle of my project either. Now having kids really took all the extra time and energy I had back then.

T

I was thinking seriously about trying sawdust because I have a good 30 gallons in the collection bag. This is my first build but not the first time using the materials though it has been a few decades since I have done any bodywork.

The wood has shipped and I’m chomping at the bit to get started.

Michael

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by timoub007 View Post

T
        I agree that the wood flour makes a better fillet mix, just empty out your sander bag as you go. The wood and fiberglass mixture works and sands well. I found the fumed silica/microballoon mix to be better for stuff like shaping the keel though. It is much harder and won’t chip out from an impact like the wood mixture might.

It is extremely addicting, I’m still wrapping up my build but have been brainstorming about a duck/drift boat next!

Comment

DIY flats skiff

Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
          I agree that the wood flour makes a better fillet mix, just empty out your sander bag as you go. The wood and fiberglass mixture works and sands well. I found the fumed silica/microballoon mix to be better for stuff like shaping the keel though. It is much harder and won’t chip out from an impact like the wood mixture might.

It is extremely addicting, I’m still wrapping up my build but have been brainstorming about a duck/drift boat next!

I do know what you mean! I haven’t even started fabrication and already have the next one in the works. Fortunately Chris Morejohn has allowed me to bend his ear and pick his brain and together we are designing what I feel is the “perfect” boat.

Yesterday we received an email that the wood has shipped. I didn’t mind the delay because I won’t be available to receive it until Friday anyway. Hopefully here in a couple three weeks I will have something actually worth posting but until then, keep the ideas and advice coming!

Michael

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
            I do know what you mean! I haven’t even started fabrication and already have the next one in the works. Fortunately Chris Morejohn has allowed me to bend his ear and pick his brain and together we are designing what I feel is the “perfect” boat.

Yesterday we received an email that the wood has shipped. I didn’t mind the delay because I won’t be available to receive it until Friday anyway. Hopefully here in a couple three weeks I will have something actually worth posting but until then, keep the ideas and advice coming!

Michael

Interesting, you willing to share any specs/design goals? Chris is a great guy, besides all his work in the past his Conchfish plans have been a huge benefit for home builders to make production quality boats with actual resale value.

The low value of wood home builds can be a benefit too though. If the wife gets after you to sell it you can tell her you’ll never get what you have in it.

Comment

Together we are designing what I feel is the “perfect” boat.
              If ya'll need some CAD design work done hit me up. I can make 3D Models, drawings and Flat patterns of all of it.

Comment

Originally posted by gatorgrizz27 View Post
                Interesting, you willing to share any specs/design goals? Chris is a great guy, besides all his work in the past his Conchfish plans have been a huge benefit for home builders to make production quality boats with actual resale value.

The low value of wood home builds can be a benefit too though. If the wife gets after you to sell it you can tell her you’ll never get what you have in it.

Right now we have just been talking here and there. His new Beryllium design with a tunnel is almost spot on just a larger spray rail on my idea.

Michael

Comment

One of these days it'll be my turn to build one. I just finished a Jon boat to skiff conversion that I really liked doing. Building my own is next. Good luck with the build.

Comment

Mine is as long as my arm too Jay. I made a deal with my bride that I would knock out the biggest project on the list, a bathroom remodel but afterwards I am taking a break to build the boat. I’m almost finished with the remodel with a Christmas deadline.

Michael

That lady sure knows how to get her projects finished!!! Lol.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by sotol View Post
                      That lady sure knows how to get her projects finished!!! Lol.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

I know right! I reckon I got a smart one.

Michael

Comment

Well I just received a call, one of the guys here has or is about to have my plywood on their truck to deliver today or tomorrow! Which one of you delivers for AAA? Tim said you thought it might’ve been for me...small world! I am scheduled to get off and should be home around 1645.

Michael

Comment

That's something I have always wanted to do. Good luck!

Comment

Can’t wait to see the progress

Comment

I am more than a little upset and disappointed! The pictures will speak for themselves as to what I found when I got home.

Michael

Comment

Needless to say, my build start will be delayed slightly. I have refused the shipment due to damages incurred during freight. My original plan was to slip out to the shop Monday during a remodeling break and begin layout then cut/scarph when ready/time permits. This way I could go right into assembly mid/late week. Now the replacement order is due to arrive mid to late week. Such is life I guess!

Michael

Comment

Working...
                                X