Build Advise on APR rifle.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys talked with Hunter today at APR about a build and spec’ed one out for a build.
    APR Ranger
    6.5CM 1-8”
    24-26” Mueller , Ratchet Flute, blended thread protector
    Defiance Tenacity
    Gladius stock
    TT special
    Hawkins DBM
    Color Pattern is Dark Tungsten with Carbon steel camo on Stock.

My question is is there anything you wished you had done on your build you regret? I want to make sure I’m not missing any details. Side note I’m fine with the weight and length of the rifle. It will primarily be a Target gun.

Get the accuracy guarantee. It’s only $150
    Make sure you pay in cash to some guy named Roberto. He’ll hook you up.

Comment

Originally posted by cattlelackranch View Post
      Get the accuracy guarantee. It’s only $150
      Make sure you pay in cash to some guy named Roberto. He’ll hook you up.
      Haha

Comment

Sounds like a killer rig. One thing for sure is they will not steer you wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
          Haha
          Guess I need to find you when I show up. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
            Sounds like a killer rig. One thing for sure is they will not steer you wrong.
            Information was well received and given. Just making sure I don’t miss anything. Pretty much at the buy once cry once stage of this deal. Although I have a feeling it won’t be the only one I own.

Comment

Spend less on fluting and paint and use that money to upgrade to better parts where possible. My only advice.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                Spend less on fluting and paint and use that money to upgrade to better parts where possible. My only advice.
                Paint and fluting are included in the package. Any suggestions on part upgrades? I really don’t want a carbon barrel. That is my only major upgrade that I considered.

Comment

Originally posted by rrebel83 View Post
                  Paint and fluting are included in the package. Any suggestions on part upgrades? I really don’t want a carbon barrel. That is my only major upgrade that I considered.
                  I’d step up to the TT diamond trigger.

I like mine set at a pound. Obviously this changes from person to person. The diamond is a much nicer trigger. But a lot more money.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                    I’d step up to the TT diamond trigger.

I like mine set at a pound. Obviously this changes from person to person. The diamond is a much nicer trigger. But a lot more money.
                    I agree with this. That is the one upgrade I will do next time. I have my trigger tech primary’s bottomed out at 1.5 lbs. I will go with Special next time especially for a bench gun. I want it at 1lb.

The only other thing I personally would do is change caliber. If you don’t reload I would step up to a 6.5 prc. But that is just my personal preference. Nothing wrong with a Creedmoor just not my first choice.

Oh and yea, this won’t be your one and only. It’s like a drug, once you start you just can’t stop. My money is on within a year you order a light weight rig to compliment your bench rifle. I went backwards from you, light first and now want a heavy bench rifle.
                    Last edited by ColinR; 03-09-2021, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                      I agree with this. That is the one upgrade I will do next time. I have my trigger tech primary’s bottomed out at 1.5 lbs. I will go with Special next time especially for a bench gun. I want it at 1lb.

The only other thing I personally would do is change caliber. If you don’t reload I would step up to a 6.5 prc. But that is just my personal preference. Nothing wrong with a Creedmoor just not my first choice.

Oh and yea, this won’t be your one and only. It’s like a drug, once you start you just can’t stop. My money is on within a year you order a light weight rig to compliment your bench rifle. I went backwards from you, light first and now want a heavy bench rifle.
                      I have been wanting to do a PRC. The scarcity of components is what scares me. I know they will eventually come back but nobody knows when that will be.

Oh and I did go for the TT special to get it to 1lb. I want to see the difference between the special and the diamond though.

Comment

Originally posted by rrebel83 View Post
                        I have been wanting to do a PRC. The scarcity of components is what scares me. I know they will eventually come back but nobody knows when that will be.

Oh and I did go for the TT special to get it to 1lb. I want to see the difference between the special and the diamond though.

Idk what they said the lead time would be, but if it’s like my last build I suspect ammo to be back on the shelf by the time you have it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Get a men's caliber.

Sorry, had to. Enjoy that piece of art.

Comment

Only thing I regret about my full custom is I wish I had done it sooner.

If you are potentially looking at swapping or adding calibers later you may want to bump it up to a long action and add a switch lug. Then if you do ever want to beef it up and get into the magnums for the ELR stuff or just to gain some horsepower you can do a bolt swap and a barrel change and you are there for a few hundred bucks and not having to spring for another $4k custom gun if you don't have the cash at the time.

I don't ever really see me swapping my 7 mag over to anything else in the future but if I ever want to the option is there with the switch lug.

Another positive with the switch lug is if I ever shoot my current barrel out a quick call to my gunsmith and he can get me another barrel spun up quickly and shipped to me and I can do an in house fix and he never has to touch the gun as he saves all of the specs for my rifle to properly headspace it.
                            Last edited by westtexducks; 03-10-2021, 08:43 AM.

Comment

If you are worried about components, I'd look into something 6mm (6 dasher, XC, etc). Next, invest in great glass and dont skimp on it.

Comment

Working...
                              X