Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

at what tread depth do you replace your tires

I am running nitto ridge grapplers in 295/55/20 on my F150 4x4
    have really been happy with them and am at 55,000 miles for the set.
    discount tire guy said i had another 5-10k miles left in them at 50k when i was there.

tread depth is between 5/32 to 7/32 currently

just curious what the consensus is with when to replace

Less than 1/8" and I will replace mine.

That's 4/32" for you tire guys....

Comment

Depends on time of year and if I have any big trips planned. But around 3/32nds of tread in the drier summer months, maybe a little earlier if I'm going into the winter/wetter months and need the traction off-road.

Comment

Pretty much when the wires are showing most of the time if I'm being honest. So however thick the rubber is.

Comment

When it won't pass inspection or I know I need tires and can catch a good sale.

Comment

When I see air pressure

Comment

Tires are too freakin expensive to be changing them like you change underwear. I buy used tires so it helps but still.

Comment

When I start losing air and notice some metal looking threads sticking out

Comment

Thread depth? I usually go by feel. I I feel like todays the last day its going to hold air, then I'll buy a new one the following week.

Comment

The biggest difference I notice, and why I change my tires at 1/8" or so, is loss of traction when off pavement. I realize that most people with 4x4, buy one in case the HEB parking lot gets slick, but some of us actually go into the dirt and mud.

Comment

Originally posted by curtintex View Post
                      The biggest difference I notice, and why I change my tires at 1/8" or so, is loss of traction when off pavement. I realize that most people with 4x4, buy one in case the HEB parking lot gets slick, but some of us actually go into the dirt and mud.
                      good point
                      thx

Comment

There is a dept gauge market between each thread on the tire. When the thread gets down to that marker its time

Comment

Originally posted by dgilbert View Post
                          There is a dept gauge market between each thread on the tire. When the thread gets down to that marker its time
                          ^^^^ this and I eye ball them , starting @ 35-40k
                          Sometimes I knock a big chunk off on rocks, so I give them the once over periodically, running 275/65r20 bfg ko2 , if I was running mud tires I would be doing the same as curtintex
                          Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 02-28-2021, 04:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dgilbert View Post

Yep this. There are wear bars or indicators when the tires are no longer safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                              Yep this. There are wear bars or indicators when the tires are no longer safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                              I typically go by this as well, but I won’t wait until they wear all the way down to that mark. I drive too fast to have questionable tread on my tires, and $1200 is worth it to me to be safe. It equates to roughly 45,000 miles give or take

Comment

Working...
                              X