Life of a Rancher! Warning graphic pic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Life of a Rancher! Warning graphic pic

It's not fun all the time. Woke up to this today. Calf was breech and was hung up coming out. Wild cow and was a pretty good rodeo getting her in the working pens. Vet came out and pulled it. Calf was dead but hopefully the cow will live. Love ranching but sometimes it's a pain, although better than anything else I can think of.
    Attached Files

Sad to see but it is a part of nature I guess. They are so tough it is amazing! I have seen cows walking around with their uterus dragging and the vet come out, push it in and sew it up. Unbelievable stuff.

Comment

Hopefully mama stays healthy...that takes a toll on them.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

Glad to be out of that business!

Comment

Did you haul her to the yards? I would have.

Comment

Seen that happen years ago going to our deer lease. Tried to help but as said, calf was not alive and hopefully the cow survived. Not a pretty sight.

Comment

It took a calf puller to get him out. My son in law tried to pull by hand but no way was he strong enough. Lots of pressure put on the cow when pulling a calf. Sometimes you damage them so they never get up. Part of running cattle.

Comment

Lost one of the best cows i ever had to the same thing. Raised 10 calves without a single issue. Never had any issues calving. Same bull for the last 4 calves. Never did figure out what happened.

Comment

Originally posted by etbowhunter View Post
                  Lost one of the best cows i ever had to the same thing. Raised 10 calves without a single issue. Never had any issues calving. Same bull for the last 4 calves. Never did figure out what happened.
                  It just happens from time to time. This cow has had lots of calves with no problems.

Comment

Originally posted by doghouse View Post
                    It took a calf puller to get him out. My son in law tried to pull by hand but no way was he strong enough. Lots of pressure put on the cow when pulling a calf. Sometimes you damage them so they never get up. Part of running cattle.
                    I hear ya. I’ve had to use a chain, come along and a tree to pull them. Not fun. Nerve in the hip gets pinched sometimes and they can’t get up. Given time and encouragement I’ve had them recover.

Now let’s move onto the other fun ranching chores such as palpating and castrating. Lol.

Comment

did you stick your arm in to clean with lysol? no pictures of that while arm was inside?

Comment

Time to go to the sale barn.

Comment

Originally posted by IvoryRoot View Post
                          Time to go to the sale barn.
                          Vet gave her a big shot of penicillin so legally I cannot sale her to the public for 30 days. I go by the rules.

Comment

Several years ago, we had a heard of young heifers that were (unintentionally) covered by a neighbor’s bull, who was a much larger breed. A number of the heifers were bred and all had difficulty, but three had calves that were just to large to deliver. In one instance, the calf got hung up and we couldn’t get it out no matter what we tried. Called a fella who, while not a vet, hires out for assistance with birthing issues.

When he assessed the situation—calf was dead, mama was beyond distressed—he advised we’d have to cut up the calf in order to remove it. To create minimal stress on the mama, you know how he did it? He took a wire dehorning saw, worked it up around the calf, and was able to cut the calf without injury mama cow. While, of course, it was very distressing, I was impressed with his inventive method. While I hope never to have to use a dehorning saw again, should one of my cows find herself in this situation again, I’ll be quicker to resort to dismembering a stillborn calf it relieves mama cow from continued stress.

Comment

That's the part of raising cattle that makes you kick dirt in frustration. Its a part of it, but when it happens you just shake your head, deal with it and try to save the cow.

Comment

Working...
                              X