2021 Salty H20 Fishing Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Walker View Post
    Just got back from Flour Bluff. Thousands of dead mullet in the canals. Didnt see any game fish floating.
    like to hear that. Got a good friend that lives in the bluff on the canal and hes saying the same.

Comment

Fishing has gotten worse over time? Huh?

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Comment

I will adhere to whatever regulations the state proposes. I will only keep a few trout at times I would like to have a fish fry with my family. But I’ll be dammed if I am going to feel guilty for cleaning a few fish on my dock in POC. Y’all stop by and have a beer and watch. [emoji51]

I got away from freezing fish years ago. I only keep what I can eat fresh.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jmsck12 View Post
          I’ve caught more red snapper than I can count and probably most others. I’ve been regulating myself for a long time now. Keep what I can eat fresh and let others go. I say we should have harvest seasons because of all the people who go out and keep fish everyday especially with how many new boaters there are today. I’m not as old as most others on here but since I was a kid I’ve seen the fishing get worse over time. Others will say it’s the best it’s ever been but that’s not what I see in my area. Red snapper is a prime example of why harvests seasons work. They were practically gone and now they are plentiful. Just my thoughts.

Fishin is worse????

Keep smoking that pipe and maybe pick up badminton

Just cause there are 200 boats at the ramp don't mean they're catching fish.

Spend enough time at the tables and you'll see.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
            Fishing has gotten worse over time? Huh?

Lol

Was thinking the same thing. Fishing has been awesome the past few years for us in the ULM. We aren't seeing as many big trout as we used to but the numbers are crazy! Should also add we don't target the big trout like we used to either just go more to have fun and catch some fillets. The redfish numbers are off the charts and can't tell you how many big schools we have chased around. The snapper numbers sure didn't decline from recreational fisherman either.

Reduced limits harvest seasons ban the barking baits....lord.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
              I am glad you are in a very small minority with that opinion.

There is no biological reason to have a season for trout. They are already protected for a full year of spawning prior to being eligible to be kept. They start spawning at 12" and are protected from all harvest until they reach 15". And the small fish do the majority of the spawning.

The snapper debacle is a totally different issue. Snapper numbers didn't drop years ago due to rod and reel sport fishing.

The biggest reason to not have a season is fishing seasons limit fishing opportunity for everyone which is the opposite of what TPWD wants. It would have a huge negative economic impact on the coastal communities who rely on sport fishing for their main income.

The statement wasn’t that the snapper dropped due to rod and reel. It was that the harvest season helped them. Same as all these fish didn’t just get killed by rod and reel. They were killed by freezing temperatures. Sure the small fish do more spawning but it takes big fish to make big fish. Not all fish reach upper 20’s because just like whitetail it takes certain genes and conditions get there. Regulating it would help get them to that point. Again, just my thoughts on the situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                Fishin is worse????

Keep smoking that pipe and maybe pick up badminton

Just cause there are 200 boats at the ramp don't mean they're catching fish.

Spend enough time at the tables and you'll see.

From what I’ve seen and experienced I’d say so. It’s isn’t bad by no means but I think it has gone down a little since I started. But hey keep talking about your crack pipe all you want, because your entitled to tell me what my opinion is right? That’s why I said it was my experience and did not say that it was scientifically proven. Some people...

Comment

I can’t believe I just read all this

Comment

The statement wasn’t that the snapper dropped due to rod and reel. It was that the harvest season helped them. Same as all these fish didn’t just get killed by rod and reel. They were killed by freezing temperatures. Sure the small fish do more spawning but it takes big fish to make big fish. Not all fish reach upper 20’s because just like whitetail it takes certain genes and conditions get there. Regulating it would help get them to that point. Again, just my thoughts on the situation.

I’m just not sure how we ever recovered from 83 and 89 without harvest seasons...

I think you are definitely entitled to your opinion based on your limited experience.

The state already restricted the trout limits to an extremely low number with zero justification from the biologists, they don’t need to do anything else.

Comment

From what I’ve seen and experienced I’d say so. It’s isn’t bad by no means but I think it has gone down a little since I started. But hey keep talking about your crack pipe all you want, because your entitled to tell me what my opinion is right? That’s why I said it was my experience and did not say that it was scientifically proven. Some people...

I'd think if you followed last years thread even a little you're the only one that thinks that.

And a lot of us here been casting the same water for 40 years. And I think some of that water is the best it's been in my life.

I mean I only stood in one spot and caught 17 red fish in like 25 casts. That's as scientific as I get

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                        I’m just not sure how we ever recovered from 83 and 89 without harvest seasons...

I think you are definitely entitled to your opinion based on your limited experience.

The state already restricted the trout limits to an extremely low number with zero justification from the biologists, they don’t need to do anything else.

I’m sure a harvest season would have helped in those years. Thanks for your input from your experience

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                          I'd think if you followed last years thread even a little you're the only one that thinks that.

And a lot of us here been casting the same water for 40 years. And I think some of that water is the best it's been in my life.

I mean I only stood in one spot and caught 17 red fish in like 25 casts. That's as scientific as I get

I followed it a little, didn’t have much time to contribute myself that year. I guess it’s just me and the younger generation that wants to help out the fish after this bad situation. Jump over on Instagram and check out speckled truth and the Release2021 movement. The following and support for it is huge, hopefully it might shed some light on where I come from.

Comment

Release2021....
                            Release to my grease!

Comment

I’m sure a harvest season would have helped in those years. Thanks for your input from your experience

I'm trying to listen to your harvest season take but I can't seem to hear anything will all these fish in my ear....

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
                                Take what you can use and release the rest. There is no shame and no harm in keeping enough fish for dinner. I promise you I'm not going to shame anyone for wanting to eat some fish.

The fishery is going to recover just fine. Trout fishing may be slow for a year or two but y'all are going to be amazed at how fast it bounces back and how resilient our fishery is. This is a normal, natural event. The only thing abnormal about it is that we have not had a major freeze for so long.
                                Yep!
                                Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Working...
                                X