Smoking Clothes Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoking Clothes Questions

For those of you that are smoking clothes as “scent control”, I have some questions:
    1. I understand keeping smoked clothes in a bag and not having to ‘re-smoke’ them every hunt. However, from the neutralizing human scent perspective, don’t you need to ‘smoke’ your body after showering, etc.? Doesn’t your skin need to be ‘smoked’ prior to each hunt?
    2. I have lots of cedar in my hunting environment. Should I throw some green branches in the fire to help the ‘local smoke’ scent? That seems like an ‘oily smell’ that would stick to clothes well.
    3. Do any of you have an active ‘smoke’ in/near your blind, in addition to smoking your clothes ahead of time? Just a ‘bee smoker’ or something that is simmering with some smoke being put off right in your area.

I stand around the fire/pit every night on purpose. Mesquite where I hunt

Comment

This is just my experience but I’ve been smoking for probably close to 20yrs. I go to Home Depot and buy the mesquite or oak wood chips for my fuel source. I use a bee smoker. I hang my clothes in a small plastic portable greenhouse. The key imo is smoke saturation. I would smoke my clothes for a couple of hours then throw them in a plastic tote. As far as smoking your body I don’t think it’s necessary. Just bathe in scent free soap. Once you put those clothes on you will smell like smoke. As far as having live smoke in the blind I’ve done it but found I was getting busted more not from the smoke but from me wiping my eyes for watering and itching.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonA View Post
        This is just my experience but I’ve been smoking for probably close to 20yrs. I go to Home Depot and buy the mesquite or oak wood chips for my fuel source. I use a bee smoker. I hang my clothes in a small plastic portable greenhouse. The key imo is smoke saturation. I would smoke my clothes for a couple of hours then throw them in a plastic tote. As far as smoking your body I don’t think it’s necessary. Just bathe in scent free soap. Once you put those clothes on you will smell like smoke. As far as having live smoke in the blind I’ve done it but found I was getting busted more not from the smoke but from me wiping my eyes for watering and itching.
        This, 1000%!

Comment

wouldn't smoking a cigarette be more effective due to the freshness of the smoke and the fact that it will go right downstream where the scent is going? asking for a friend.

Comment

Personally, I’d just hunt the wind. As I understand it, deer can discern up to 6 different smells at the same time. That smoke won’t cover up your natural scent. The deer will just smell you and the smoke.

If you really want to hunt with a cover scent you may find it easier to use cedar oil.

Good luck and kill a big one!

Comment

Originally posted by Bort View Post
              Personally, I’d just hunt the wind. As I understand it, deer can discern up to 6 different smells at the same time. That smoke won’t cover up your natural scent. The deer will just smell you and the smoke.

If you really want to hunt with a cover scent you may find it easier to use cedar oil.

Personally I don’t know how anybody hunts swirling winds. Playing the wind in theory is solid but in reality it shifts and deer come from all directions. What smoke does isn’t mask all human scent but it covers it enough to the point the point that it’s not alarming

Comment

I've always been a scent conscious guy with wind being #1. I may try this. Y'all post up some of those smokey clothes bow kills.

Comment

Not a bow kill but a smoke kill at 75 yds

Click image for larger version

Name:	473193BC-D5E1-4ECE-B481-CF9CF421159C.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	24639541

Comment

These 3 all smoke bow kills , 134, 139, 154. All within 15-20yds
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by BrandonA; 12-22-2020, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Kansas Bow smoke kill. 140 and change if I remember right. 10yds
                      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Bort View Post

RESEARCH! Smoke actually kills the bacteria that cause body odor. Hence, clothes smoked will kill body odor/sweat odor. Oldest scent product on the market! you still need to be as clean as possible and play the wind, but SMOKE works period!

Comment

Those who say “I hunt the wind”
                          That’s great, if that’s possible. Some of us hunt areas that are impossible to “hunt the wind”
                          Where I hunt, the wind is NEVER from the same direction. It’s always twirling and circling. The only way to hunt is scent reduction and scent cover

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post
                            That’s great, if that’s possible. Some of us hunt areas that are impossible to “hunt the wind”
                            Where I hunt, the wind is NEVER from the same direction. It’s always twirling and circling. The only way to hunt is scent reduction and scent cover
                            If you are hunting trails and primary corridors it’s possible maybe... hunting feeders no way. Wind swirls way to much

Comment

Originally posted by ATI View Post
                              where do you hunt that the wind is like this? Just curious.

Comment

Working...
                              X