Best "Small Town" near DFW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best "Small Town" near DFW

What is the best small town within an hour of Dallas? Considering cost of living, low crime, friendliness, etc.

Backstory: My mom is getting an itch to find her last home. She lives in Little Elm on 5 acres outside of city limits and getting surrounded by cookie cutter homes and a future manufactured home community. She used to live in the country but now she is crowded but doesn't have the amenities of the city either.

She is open minded to small lots or some land to build on. Doesn't mind a fixer upper. The prices in Denton are getting high and she doesn't think it is worth it to move into town there. We are looking at Corsicana since it is close to my weekend land.

PM me if you have some good recommendations but don't want the world to know that you live in an awesome place!

Appreciate the input.

Did y’all look at Blue Ridge?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Tioga is nice. Not far from little elm. Crossroads is close, denton for the bigger stuff. Only about 1500 population, with nothing to do.. haha

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

I think you'll have a hard time finding that anywhere within an hour of Dallas. DFW continues to grow outward and everybody wants the same thing... small town with big city life nearby. Howe up south of Sherman and north of Van Alstyne isn't bad. Van Alstyne is on fire with growth right now. Gunter, where I live, isn't bad but Celina will swallow it up in about 10-15 years. Pilot Point isn't bad and it'll be awhile before that blows up but the horse crowd has inflated land prices over that way. Collinsville would be another decent option. The growth is happening everywhere though. I grew up in Frisco from the time I was born, just turned 34. There were 6000 people there when I was a kid and not much more than that up to when I was 10 years old. Then the growth started and 24 years later here we are over 200,000 people. I've always said Dallas would continue to swallow everything in it's path until it hit the red river.

Comment

I live in Denison and I’d say stay off Highway 75 if that’s what you’re looking for. Not Howe either, Sherman is putting this monstrosity in on the far south end of town. Sherman will impact Howe shortly.

This area is getting so congested with Dallas folks and Californians and Yankees, I’m really starting to hate it.

Comment

Anywhere in the northern half of Collin County close to a creek...I hear the hunting is decent...

Comment

Originally posted by Flyway12 View Post
              I think you'll have a hard time finding that anywhere within an hour of Dallas. DFW continues to grow outward and everybody wants the same thing... small town with big city life nearby. Howe up south of Sherman and north of Van Alstyne isn't bad. Van Alstyne is on fire with growth right now. Gunter, where I live, isn't bad but Celina will swallow it up in about 10-15 years. Pilot Point isn't bad and it'll be awhile before that blows up but the horse crowd has inflated land prices over that way. Collinsville would be another decent option. The growth is happening everywhere though. I grew up in Frisco from the time I was born, just turned 34. There were 6000 people there when I was a kid and not much more than that up to when I was 10 years old. Then the growth started and 24 years later here we are over 200,000 people. I've always said Dallas would continue to swallow everything in it's path until it hit the red river.
              yessir. i work for a real estate developer and north corridor is moving fast. that's why i'm probably leaning a bit more east and south of dallas as i don't see that are exploding (at least not in mom's lifetime!). i have some "notions" about east texas but figured some pockets were really nice.

Comment

Nevada, Greenville, Royce City Wylie

Comment

Nice areas out by Richland chambers lake.

Comment

Waxahachie is great.

Comment

My Dad retired to Whitesboro after 50+ years away from Texas. He loves it.

Comment

Just stay out of Dallas. Home of MANY $80k millionaires

Comment

Originally posted by Cratus View Post
                          Waxahachie is great.
                          We moved here a little over a year ago and feel blessed to have done so. However, we do feel Dallas closing in on us.

J

Comment

Originally posted by justhrowit View Post
                            We moved here a little over a year ago and feel blessed to have done so. However, we do feel Dallas closing in on us.

J
                            Haha for sure. I find myself driving on Brown St more often than 77 these days just to get to HEB or Lowes. 77 is becoming ridiculous in town.

Comment

Waxahachie is great.
                              Originally posted by justhrowit View Post

J
                              Haha for sure. I find myself driving on Brown St more often than 77 these days just to get to HEB or Lowes. 77 is becoming ridiculous in town.
                              Yeah, but y'all have the WILD THING!
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X