that RV life....the ups and the downs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

that RV life....the ups and the downs

We bought a 5th wheel a month ago....Grand Design Reflection 31mb. It's a nice 36" trailer and it's great for my family of 5 - We went to Lake Texoma for our maiden voyage and it was pretty great. Inks Lake, Safari Waters Ranch and South Padre are booked for us now through October. I've never been a fan of the process of flying - mostly I just don't have the patience for it, so the RV life seems to be fitting us well.

I'm learning a lot....mostly about payload, towing capacity, axel weight limits of my 2017 F250 6.7. The main thing is I'm over my max payload by about an average of 400-500 lbs without the family loaded in. That's not terrible, but I really don't like it and I definitely don't want to take the rig through Colorado like that. They have to ride in the suburban with my wife. Seems like everything else is within it's limits, just over on the payload. I've added airbags to help stabilize the ride and they seem to help....the 5 miles I hauled to storage. I'm pretty sure I'll end up upgrading to an F350 SRW as I don't care for Dually's- kinda stinks since my f250 is paid off. Before out next trip, I'm going to take it to a CAT scale to get an accurate reading.

Not sure what my point is, just needed to "brain dump".

Maybe....any experienced RV'ers could spread some wisdom???

It’s about the brakes. Gotta be able to stop.

Comment

Originally posted by dagdog View Post

I keep hearing that, but how is that tested- how do you know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by dagdog View Post
        Yup, two questions... Can it pull it? and Can it stop it? There are multiple options out there before you get rid of a paid off truck

Comment

I use the engine break and set my trailer break somewhat kinda high....

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyG View Post
            F350 SRW
            The SRW will continue to be an issue. Dual rear wheel is night & day difference when towing a large/heavy 5th wheel.
            I had a 35' 5th wheel. Went form a Dodge 2500 SRW to Dodge 3500 dually. I was way more comfortable towing w/the dually. I hit a flooded bridge w/a giant pothole in my 3500. I don't think I'd be here to tell this story if I had still had my 2500.

Comment

I bought my first dually a little over a year ago. It is much more stable. Less rolling and wobbling going down the highway. Especially in windy conditions. I’d say, if you’re going to be pulling a big trailer a lot, it’d be well worth the hassle parking it when not towing.

Comment

A 1tn SRW is an upgrade from a 3/4. Dually even better. The long bed makes a big difference in how they handle a load as does the extra leaf springs.

I’d look at putting a Wilwood replacement kit and master cylinder setup on the truck. Makes a huge difference in stopping a load.

Comment

I drove duallies for years while my kids were growing up because we had big 5th wheels, I hated driving one daily but loved it when pulling our campers. We bought a bay house a few years ago and I thought I was out of the camper business, traded for a short bed 2500 duramax. My wife lasted about 6 months and we "needed" another 40ft 5th wheel. I still have my shortbed 2500 and it is just not as good as a dually, more power than any truck I've ever had but the long bed and dual wheels just pull better.

Comment

Originally posted by MikeyG View Post
                    We bought a 5th wheel a month ago....Grand Design Reflection 31mb. It's a nice 36" trailer and it's great for my family of 5 - We went to Lake Texoma for our maiden voyage and it was pretty great. Inks Lake, Safari Waters Ranch and South Padre are booked for us now through October. I've never been a fan of the process of flying - mostly I just don't have the patience for it, so the RV life seems to be fitting us well.

I'm learning a lot....mostly about payload, towing capacity, axel weight limits of my 2017 F250 6.7. The main thing is I'm over my max payload by about an average of 400-500 lbs without the family loaded in. That's not terrible, but I really don't like it and I definitely don't want to take the rig through Colorado like that. They have to ride in the suburban with my wife. Seems like everything else is within it's limits, just over on the payload. I've added airbags to help stabilize the ride and they seem to help....the 5 miles I hauled to storage. I'm pretty sure I'll end up upgrading to an F350 SRW as I don't care for Dually's- kinda stinks since my f250 is paid off. Before out next trip, I'm going to take it to a CAT scale to get an accurate reading.

Not sure what my point is, just needed to "brain dump".

Maybe....any experienced RV'ers could spread some wisdom???
                    Go long bed on the F-350 and you'll be happy.

There will always be an issue. Things will break. You'll learn what to keep handy.

Comment

Crank your air bags up to 85 pounds and role on

Comment

Originally posted by Dejashoot View Post
                        A 1tn SRW is an upgrade from a 3/4. Dually even better. The long bed makes a big difference in how they handle a load as does the extra leaf springs.

I’d look at putting a Wilwood replacement kit and master cylinder setup on the truck. Makes a huge difference in stopping a load.
                        Wilwoods are cool but not really what you need for towing.

And expensive

Really Expensive.

And not sure I’ve seen a wilwood M/C for a late model 3/4 or 1 ton

Comment

Originally posted by Pthomas View Post
                          Crank your air bags up to 85 pounds and role on

I like it.

Comment

A long bed 350 SRW will make a huge difference over a short bed 250. Granted a dually will be just as big of an upgrade from an LB 350 as a LB 350 is from a SB 250, but it’s a good compromise if you’re DDing the truck 90-95% of the time, and only towing 5-10%.

Comment

I'm hauling a 31' w my 04 2500 5.9 Goat. I just get in it and go, lol. Cruise 60-65 mph and start slowing down early.

Comment

Working...
                              X