Ute Lake, NM?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ute Lake, NM?

Anybody ever visit? Toying with the idea of dragging our little popup heading up to Wyoming in a few weeks and stopping there to split the trip up. I usually just drive without stopping but could be a nice break.

Driven by it plenty of times. Never stopped. Several folks I know do go and really seem to enjoy it.

Comment

Decent fishing. Great duck hunting

Comment

I'd assume it's probably frozen. That'd be awesome to duck hunt it. This would be a quick stop passing through, probably work from the laptop next morning and wife and kiddo can go running around.

Comment

Originally posted by justletmein View Post
          I'd assume it's probably frozen. That'd be awesome to duck hunt it. This would be a quick stop passing through, probably work from the laptop next morning and wife and kiddo can go running around.
          It is just west of Amarillo lol. Not going to be frozen ever I don't think. Not very scenic either. Used to fish their in college caught some cats nothing crazy. If I was looking to stop in that part of the world with a camper I would go to Palo duro canyon. Much more scenic still in Texas and would be much better for your wife and kiddo to go explore for a few hours. And only like an hour difference between the two with Palo being slightly closer this side of new Mexico.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Comment

Also you could get a spot in Canyon to stay the night or get a hotel room if not wanting to mess with a camper and can be in the canyon from Canyon in less than 20 minutes and have a great time with great scenery. Canyon will have better food options etc.. and is much nicer than Logan if you need any other things. Also the panhandle plains historical museaum at WTAMU campus is phenomenal if they just need to burn a couple hours or if you were staying for a decent amount of time.

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk
            Last edited by westtexducks; 02-21-2020, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Awesome, thanks for all that I'll definitely check it out too.

Comment

And to counter the hustle bustle of Palo Duro, if you want a peaceful, primitive experience check out Mills Canyon outside of Roy, NM. It is managed by the Kiowa National Grassland. RV spots are available at the Rim Campground and it has a bathroom but no utilities.

The fishing is pretty poor in the river but you are likely to spot elk, mule deer, turkeys and pronghorn. If you're really lucky a black bear or mountain lion.

Comment

Been by there. My buddy walleye fishes over there all the time and does really good. One of my buddies caught a rattlesnake with his fishing pole over there,my other two buddies threatened to throw him off the boat if he reeled it in.LOL

Comment

I grew up fishing Ute. It was only an hour from the house which is really close for the panhandle. We kept our boat in storage there, my uncle had a house on the lake in my younger years and when he sold it we got a trailer so we visited the lake often. The fishing can be great but the water will still be really cold in a couple of weeks. Lots of smallmouth and walleyes in the lake. If we fished with minnows it would be very common to have a day where we caught largemouth, smallmouth, walleye, white bass, crappie, perch (bream) and catfish. It is deep lake with a rocky bank/bottom and can get dangerous in the wind...and it gets really windy up there! Logan is a depressing little town with not much going on!

Edit: Oh and it will definitely not be frozen over!
                    Last edited by Cantcatch5; 02-22-2020, 11:57 AM.

Comment

Thanks yall good intel.

Comment

Working...
                      X