Driftwood - How To?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driftwood - How To?

I have a couple nice pieces of driftwood I'd like to use for euro/skull mounts. Not sure if it matter or not, but they came out of fresh freshwater.

What is the best way to clean and preserve? I do not want it bleached; I'd like to keep the natural look as much as possible. These will be used indoors, so I'd also like to hear recommendations on how to keep the pieces bug free.

Thanks.

Originally posted by Goldensammy View Post
    I have a couple nice pieces of driftwood I'd like to use for euro/skull mounts. Not sure if it matter or not, but they came out of fresh freshwater.

What is the best way to clean and preserve? I do not want it bleached; I'd like to keep the natural look as much as possible. These will be used indoors, so I'd also like to hear recommendations on how to keep the pieces bug free.

Thanks.
    What kind of wood is it? I'm not sure you need to do anything to it. I have a mountain lion mounted on a piece of cypress driftwood and it remains perfect after 20 plus years. I did the base myself so know it was not treated--came from fresh water.

Comment

On that topic, lets see some pics of euros mounted on driftwood or old wood, so we can get/"steal" some ideas.

Comment

Epoxy will seal it, and enhance the wood.

Comment

Driftwood can be washed with a pressure washer. Just be careful not to get to close and scar it. Let it dry good and you can seal it with any wood treatment or poly.

Comment

Wash it well, with a garden hose (no pressure washer) to get all the mud and dirt off of it that you can. Then let it dry for a month, where it can get plenty of air, but no rain on it.

After that, it should be good to go. If it's not rotten, it won't rot as long as you keep it dry.

Comment

Good info. Thanks guys.

Comment

Does “driftwood” have to come from salt or fresh water? I have several big pieces that I think are old cedar stumps/roots. They look similar to me. Very rustic looking.

Comment

Working...
                X