New Truck Question 7.3 gas ford or 6.7 cummins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TKRanch View Post
    I have a Dodge 5.9 Cummins with 303,300 miles. I think you have more in your current truck than where you are at 175000..... Of course, it is always nice to get a NEW ride!
    So I've had this thought as well. What holds me back is watched a co worker of mine dump right at $20,000 in a 2006 Cummins that he babied with only about 180,000 miles. After all this money spent, it got to where it was a 50/50 shot everyday after work if his truck would crank in the parking lot. He finally wiped his hands and had enough. The guy was about 55 years old and bought it brand new. The truck was used but well taken care of. I just dont want to get caught in a spot like this. He ended up trading in this truck for about $12,000.

Comment

Originally posted by Tex1986 View Post
      So I've had this thought as well. What holds me back is watched a co worker of mine dump right at $20,000 in a 2006 Cummins that he babied with only about 180,000 miles. After all this money spent, it got to where it was a 50/50 shot everyday after work if his truck would crank in the parking lot. He finally wiped his hands and had enough. The guy was about 55 years old and bought it brand new. The truck was used but well taken care of. I just dont want to get caught in a spot like this. He ended up trading in this truck for about $12,000.
      I do understand the fear of that for sure. Mine is a 2003. I put a new clutch in it when it was at about 250K and new injectors at 295k. Other than that it has been general maintenance really, nothing bad. But the dash is a disaster like most old ones. Mine is also not my daily driver. Just used for horse hauling and work. Good luck on your decision.

Comment

Keep the current truck. Dump some money in novelties important to you. Keep Truckin

Comment

Just ordered the 7.3 Tremor, a few months out or more on delivery. Manufacturers having part shortages currently.

Comment

I heard that Ford was going to sub in F150 parts on the Tremor to make up for the shortage.

Comment

New Truck Question 7.3 gas ford or 6.7 cummins

Any of the trucks you described will do
              All you need and more, including your current truck, even another Ram with the 6.4 Hemi assuming you like your current truck.

But, there is no reason you shouldn’t get 300,000+ out of your Cummins especially since it’s non-emission.

I have 185k on my 2012 Cummins with zero engine repairs other than a water pump. I’ll keep it al least another 5 years and then I might start looking. Should be close to 300k by then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have 7100 miles on a 2020 F250 7.3. Love the truck, plenty of power to triple tow my camper and boat with tons to spare. I don't have to worry about the DEF system going out or causing issues or any of that DPF clogging crap. I came from a 04 3500 Chevy diesel that I loved....I think I did good for myself, but each person is different. From what you say you tow, you shouldn't be hurting yourself.

Comment

I will be in the market for a new truck before long. My 2012 Cummins is getting quite a few miles on it. My heavier loads are 6,000 to 7,500 lbs pulled once a week at most and not for a far distance ( 30 miles round trip). Once a month I might pull this load an hour from the house (100 miles round trip). If the vehicle prices were pretty much the same for a Ram 2500 Tradesman with a 6.7 vs a Ford F250 with the 7.3 gas, which one would you choose?

Just a little background. I don't trade trucks frequently as mine is almost 9 years old. I've had extremely good luck with my cummins. At 167,000 miles I've probably only got $2,500 to $3,000 in repairs since new. All the emission stuff really worries me on the new diesels. My goal is to get atleast 175,000 out of my trucks with minimal repair cost. I'm not one to pay a $10,000 repair bill on injectors, turbos, etc. I will sell the truck before I go through that. It's very appealing to be able to get back in a gas engine for simplicity and longevity reasons.

Between the 2 choices what is the census??

Thanks ahead of time.
                  You still have a lot left on that truck. Keep it.

Especially being the last year before going to DEF.

Comment

Interesting to hear the number of people that say keep driving it considering the mileage. I would have guessed more people were dumping their diesels around this time to avoid the high dollar repair bills.

Comment

That's the problem with relatively modern diesels. They need to be run hard or they have all kinds of issues. It's a problem across all three brands. I totally understand your concern, but way more make it to 300k than don't, especially these days. Hell gas engines are making it 200k no problem these days.

I am just about to turn 170k on my 6.7 F250, and I fully expect it to make it to 300k. She pulls hard, and the only money (knock on wood) that has gone into her is some front end parts, good oil and filters, and shocks.

I pull a 10k travel trailer several times a month.

Comment

Interesting to hear the number of people that say keep driving it considering the mileage. I would have guessed more people were dumping their diesels around this time to avoid the high dollar repair bills.
                        What high dollar repair bills?

Comment

Im gonna keep my 09 duramax until it dies, but right now the ford 7.3 gas is the most attractive option on the market.

It will be interesting once the 6.6 gas and ford 7.3 gas have been out for a while and we can see which one is more durable.

Comment

I got two dodges and a new Ford at my house. Here's my 2 cents...

Keep it. I had a 2011 6.7 Cummins that was a solid truck. I sold it with right at 300k with absolutely zero issues. Had plenty of life left. I have a 2016 ram 2500 and 2018 ram 3500 right now. Both trucks have right over 100k. I plan to keep them as long as I can. Fuel mileage is outstanding on both trucks. I get about 15-16 MPG on the dually and about 18-20 mpg on the 2500. 2500 has a 3" lift and 36" toyo MT's and replacement bumpers. Dually has 33"s and a leveling kit with a heavy ranch hand replacement bumper.

The 2020 f350 dually 6.7 powerstroke we just got is a beast, but fuel mileage is still terrible on them. Truck has 3.55 gears in it with the 10 speed, and you're lucky to get 13 MPG with it. Stock tires with no lift. Has replacement ranch hands. The 2018 ram 3500 dually high output will outpull that Ford and gets better fuel mileage. However, I like driving that f350 better than the Dodge. Rides twice as good. Don't get me wrong, the Ford will flat out smoke the dodge dually in a race, however it doesn't have the balls that the Dodge does. I still have no interest in gassers. Personally If I didn't need a heavy duty truck, I would probably just get a Tundra.
                            Last edited by Arrowthreat; 04-01-2021, 08:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Wall_Hanger View Post
                              Get the 7.3 in the Tremor package!
                              That’s what I did. 7.3 and 4.30 gears is legit

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
                                I got two dodges and a new Ford at my house. Here's my 2 cents...

Keep it. I had a 2011 6.7 Cummins that was a solid truck. I sold it with right at 300k with absolutely zero issues. Had plenty of life left. I have a 2016 ram 2500 and 2018 ram 3500 right now. Both trucks have right over 100k. I plan to keep them as long as I can. Fuel mileage is outstanding on both trucks. I get about 15-16 MPG on the dually and about 18-20 mpg on the 2500. 2500 has a 3" lift and 36" toyo MT's and replacement bumpers. Dually has 33"s and a leveling kit with a heavy ranch hand replacement bumper.

The 2020 f350 dually 6.7 powerstroke we just got is a beast, but fuel mileage is still terrible on them. Truck has 3.55 gears in it with the 10 speed, and you're lucky to get 13 MPG with it. Stock tires with no lift. Has replacement ranch hands. The 2018 ram 3500 dually high output will outpull that Ford and gets better fuel mileage. However, I like driving that f350 better than the Dodge. Rides twice as good. Don't get me wrong, the Ford will flat out smoke the dodge dually in a race, however it doesn't have the balls that the Dodge does. I still have no interest in gassers. Personally If I didn't need a heavy duty truck, I would probably just get a Tundra.
                                Just the opposite for me. I’ll take the Ford for towing all day.

Comment

Working...
                                X