1/2 ton Diesel vs. Gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
    They don't make any sense to me. The new Eco boost are within 2-3 mpg of most of the half ton diesels, if not better than some. Less maintenance, more power, cheaper repair cost.

Right now its clear the best half tons are the eco boost f150 and Toyota tundra. If you want performance and fuel mileage, but don't plan to keep the truck much past 100k, the eco boost is the king. If you want something that will last forever and don't care about sucking fuel, tundra all day.

So the Eco Boost is problematic after 100k? my son has one and we are at 87k
    just wanting to know what to expect

Comment

I just bought a chevy silverado 1500 diesel on friday (2wd)

I am averaging about 27 mpg right now. Hit 30.7 mpg one trip to work. The 3.0L Duramax holds 7 quarts of oil (vs 10 for larger diesels), and it has 460# of torque and will pull anything I need it to personally. I love it.

I was at 600 miles on my odometer and had just under a 1/4 tank of diesel left yesterday.

$2.79 for diesel vs $2.69 at my gas station next to my house, and the gas model of the truck gets 20/23 MPG. I'm expecting it to last me a long time hopefully, and **** it's a smooth ride and engine is really quiet.
      Last edited by EastTexasMan; 03-25-2021, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowthreat View Post
        They don't make any sense to me. The new Eco boost are within 2-3 mpg of most of the half ton diesels, if not better than some. Less maintenance, more power, cheaper repair cost.

Right now its clear the best half tons are the eco boost f150 and Toyota tundra. If you want performance and fuel mileage, but don't plan to keep the truck much past 100k, the eco boost is the king. If you want something that will last forever and don't care about sucking fuel, tundra all day.

Show me any 1/2 ton gas V8 or Ecoboost that gets upper 20s to low 30s fuel mileage. I’m not talking about on the sticker, I’m talking real life.

Then hook a trailer to them and tell me how much the gap opens up.

I think for the guy that drives quite a bit, tows a mid size trailer and wants to maximize fuel mileage they are a great solution. And IMO GM was genius in offering their diesel in the Tahoe/Suburban.

At least in the GM vehicles the cost premium is reasonable and I think they did it right with the inline 6 configuration rather than a V6.

I suppose if you want the fastest truck stoplight to stoplight then yeah, get an Ecoboost or 6.2 V8.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by dwactx View Post

Depends on what internet posts you believe. There are plenty of high mileage Ecoboost engines around.

Comment

I am not sure where some people get their fuel mileage numbers. I previously managed the fleet at my company with over 50 trucks and a few SUV's. Majority were F250 and Chevy 2500 diesels and they all averaged about 14-16 MPG and this included the 1/2 tons as well.

Comment

if you are one to keep it as long as the warranty the 1/2 diesel would be nice to try. Repairs are so expensive for diesels I would question keeping a higher mileage diesel. Cost under 100K will probably average close between gas/diesel.

Comment

I just hit over 50K in my 1/2 ton ecodiesel and its been great. I'll do 600 miles on a tank all day long. On a long distance trip with a family of 4 plus luggage I filled it twice-it did 800 miles 1 st fill up and 764 miles on the second tank. I dont regret trading in my f-250 king ranch at all. The ride is like night and day to the 3/4 ton, no comparison.
                The reason I went with a diesel instead of a twin turbo gasser was that I still pull my boat to the coast, wifes horse, and cargo/rv conversion(when I hunt or fish out of state-several trips every year). Pulling my cargo trailer (with the 4 wheeler in it, generator for a/c plus hunting gear) to colorado or NM -I turn 17 mpg. I couldnt do this empty in my f-250 and I don't know how much pulling that turbo gasser could take(not to mention mileage). She is not a speed demon at the light-that's for sure! I wouldn't buy a truck to drag race in anyway! Lol

Comment

Personally what I've seen I wouldn't trust them to be a high mileage engine. There's always exceptions.

Almost all these new half ton diesels are new designs that are not proven. Unless you plan to sell after the factory warranty is up, I wouldn't trust them. Diesels are expensive to work on, especially when its the dealership. Not many diesel shops will touch those new diesels they're putting in half tons.

I'm an equipment manager for a large construction company. We've tried almost everything under the sun as far as trucks go. My information is based on personal experience and extensive research. It's my job to figure out the best vehicle configurations for our company. There's a lot of guys who want to argue on here about vehicles they've never owned or had any personal experience with.
                  Last edited by Arrowthreat; 03-25-2021, 01:10 PM.

Comment

1/2 ton diesel was a solution to a problem that didn’t exist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by tpack View Post
                      If you can actually get 24-30 mpg, you still have to pay more for diesel(sometimes a lot more), you have the DEF thing, the purchase price is higher and maintenance/repair on a diesel engine is way more expensive. If you had to tow with a half ton, why wouldn`t you just get a 6.2 gasser. I even pulled a 24 ft. camper with a 5.3 to Colorado 20 years ago easily.
                      Yes I actually get that. I dont do a ton of towing. If I did I would have and F250

Comment

Originally posted by EastTexasMan View Post
                        I just bought a chevy silverado 1500 diesel on friday (2wd)

I am averaging about 27 mpg right now. Hit 30.7 mpg one trip to work. The 3.0L Duramax holds 7 quarts of oil (vs 10 for larger diesels), and it has 460# of torque and will pull anything I need it to personally. I love it.

I was at 600 miles on my odometer and had just under a 1/4 tank of diesel left yesterday.

$2.79 for diesel vs $2.69 at my gas station next to my house, and the gas model of the truck gets 20/23 MPG. I'm expecting it to last me a long time hopefully, and **** it's a smooth ride and engine is really quiet.
                        Not to many times I`ve seen a dime difference between the two fuels. Many more times I`ve seen a dollars difference in the two. I can understand someone wanting a 1/2 ton diesel just because they want a diesel, but in the long run, I just don`t think it`s the better choice financially. Maybe after 4-5 more years of them being on the market, the right choice will be clearer.

Comment

I'll keep my 2019 treefiddy oil-burner until they make me turn it in.

Comment

Originally posted by munchie View Post
                            I am not sure where some people get their fuel mileage numbers. I previously managed the fleet at my company with over 50 trucks and a few SUV's. Majority were F250 and Chevy 2500 diesels and they all averaged about 14-16 MPG and this included the 1/2 tons as well.
                            4 diesel 1 ton and 3/4 , couple of G 1/2’s and couple of G 3/4 ton
                            And I agree not much difference in mpg( unless towing D=12 G=7-10 , some had a sweet spot mph with better mpg , can’t figure out where 20’s mpg #’s are coming from, except one buddies fleet all 1/2 ‘s with base V-6 Get 18-21 all 2wd single cab with 100 gallon spray tank payload in back
                            He says “ no € way he would switch to diesel fuel fleet “ his company is multi million dollar company and could make his fleet whatever he chooses if he wanted , makes me wonder if I am over trucked and should be looking @ non turbo V-6’s next time

Comment

If I was in the market for a 1/2 ton truck, I’d buy a GM diesel in a heartbeat, even though I think the Chevy trucks are ugly as sin; the GMC is tolerable.

I’ve owned a 7.3L diesel, a 6.0 diesel (gasp), and now a Cummins. I’ve spent no more money on repairs than I have on gas engines.

I ain’t skeered like some on here.

Comment

I’m over 160,000 in my 2014 eco boost. It’s been a great truck. Been in the shop twice, once for a shift solenoid after I first got it (warranty) and replaced the 02 sensor at around 100k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X