AR-308 questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AR-308 questions

What are your experiences with the following? At times like these, choices are limited so I’m trying to weigh “wait for the right one” vs “get what I can get”. Platform is an Aero Precision upper and lower, which I already have.

1. Barrel. Probably not going to go crazy on the cost of the barrel. Looking at waiting for a Criterion 18-20” to come in stock, or I can back order one from Wilson Combat. Also looks like Tactical Ordnance is taking orders as well. Any experience with these?

2. Bolt carrier group. How does this affect accuracy? Do I just need to get a good quality one, or is there any I should do to make sure it’s a good match/fit for the barrel I select? I understand that milspec should keep everything generally equal, but is there anything additional to consider if building to match grade?

3. Gas block. On a rifle length gas system, should I still consider using an adjustable gas block?

4. On a milspec rifle, how do you fine tune the headspace and chamber for accuracy? ...so is it just bolt it up and go?

Are there any other parts that you have experienced a significant change in accuracy? I know the trigger is an important component and a free floated handguard, anything else? Will be using a fixed stock.

I’ve built a shorty 300BO, so I’m familiar with the build process. That firearm though was built as a plinker without much concern for extra steps or specific parts for accuracy. To the extent that I can, I’d like to lean towards building this 308 as a more accurate build.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I would choose Criterion over Wilson from personal experience.
    Have heard nothing but good about TO and have wanted to try em for awhile now.

As far as bolts, and accuracy, I would say yes to an extent, which comes back around to another question of yours on headspace.
    HS is not adjustable, so buy a bolt/barrel/upper combo that are matched(if we're talking match grade). I love JP but good luck finding anything right now.
    You can achieve sub moa without buying matched parts though.
    Lap the face of your upper, regardless of who built it.
    The BART from x-caliber is the best tool I've found for this.
    On the GB, unless you are going into combat get a AGB.
    Some people feel otherwise but I really like them.
    That along with a JP SCS kit, allows you to really dial in a particular rnd, and the rifle in general.
    Most guns are overgassed anyway, so between the SCS spring kit, and the AGB you can find that sweet spot, and not have a gun jumping all over the place.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
      I would choose Criterion over Wilson from personal experience.
      Have heard nothing but good about TO and have wanted to try em for awhile now.

As far as bolts, and accuracy, I would say yes to an extent, which comes back around to another question of yours on headspace.
      HS is not adjustable, so buy a bolt/barrel/upper combo that are matched(if we're talking match grade). I love JP but good luck finding anything right now.
      You can achieve sub moa without buying matched parts though.
      Lap the face of your upper, regardless of who built it.
      The BART from x-caliber is the best tool I've found for this.
      On the GB, unless you are going into combat get a AGB.
      Some people feel otherwise but I really like them.
      That along with a JP SCS kit, allows you to really dial in a particular rnd, and the rifle in general.
      Most guns are overgassed anyway, so between the SCS spring kit, and the AGB you can find that sweet spot, and not have a gun jumping all over the place.

Thanks for the info. The other barrel I’ve found available is a Proof Research stainless ($460). Seems like most people have commented on their carbon barrels, but I’m not interested in anything that light/high tech/fancy. Also a NEMO branded barrel ($570), which supposedly starts with a Bartlein blank.

I was planning to stay around $300-350 for the barrel, but I do not see anything becoming available. I really just want an MOA capable rifle with a threaded barrel, so I can order one from Tactical Ordnance or Wilson Combat or get a Proof Research for an extra $120 or a NEMO for an extra $250.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
      X