Ever walk away from a career

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ætheling View Post
    Life is too short to spend the majority of your waking hours miserable. I left an Accounting career (extremely lucrative) to become a teacher. Was LE and Military in the past so the goal of purpose over money was strong in my blood. I work with HS students that do not want to be in school. The “hard cases”. I get paid ****.

Money buys convenience, not happiness. Leave the misery behind. Go be something else you are happy to be. You don’t want to bring misery home with you.
    Yep. I gave up being given a very profitable machine shop business that I ran for my Father-n-Law for 8 years to go into full time ministry and took a HUGE pay cut. The decision had nothing to do with money and everything to do with purpose and doing what I felt was right regardless of the perceived financial consequences. I did this after much prayer and reflection and it wasn't an emotional knee jerk reaction to a bad work environment. I have also left jobs that I shouldn't have, thinking the grass would be greener and I found that it was an emotional decision and I regretted it. Life is too short to be miserable and I value fulfillment and purpose over all else when it concerns how I make my living. As in any decision... count the costs before you react. And I don't just mean financially.

Comment

Good sense suggests not just walking away, but keeping your powder dry and be looking for that better postion before just quitting.

When one accepts employment at another firm, you may wind up with the same issues that drove you away from the previous job. How does one know about the politics, favoratism, general BS until you are entrenched in the firm. Those conditions exist in many firms.

Comment

my take is God is working on your heart to move you elsewhere He wants you to be.
        keep listening to Him.

Comment

There’s definitely something to be said about sticking around and standing up for what you believe is right. No harm in looking while you’re trying to turn the current ship in the right direction.

Comment

It's probably pretty close to the same no matter where you work. It's hard to find a company that will hire older people so I would stay where I was and ignore the bs and just do my job. That's what I did and enjoying my retirement now.

Comment

Yes! I’ve never looked back.

I was 8 yrs from retirement and would be 4 yrs away now if I’d have stayed putting me retiring from there at 40.

Comment

Sounds like you work here. I've just learned to deal with it. Only have a couple of more years to go.

Comment

Originally posted by MacDaddy67 View Post
                  Great pay, decent benefits, insurance, EASY WORK, 5 weeks vacation ,etc

Ever walk away from one due to the politics, favoritism, general BS you see day to day?

Wanted to work another 7 years....but dang I feel like giving a two day notice...
                  as in I'm dragging up TODAY !
                  sounds like we work at the same place, it makes it hard when one truly likes his job and cares. but when Management or the LT Team do nothing to improve the situation after they been made aware of problems, its pretty dis-hearting.. makes a good employee, just end up with give caca attitude.. which is pretty sad, but we just put are Big Boy drawers on and keep forging forward

Comment

Originally posted by Chief Big Toe View Post
                    sounds like we work at the same place, it makes it hard when one truly likes his job and cares. but when Management or the LT Team do nothing to improve the situation after they been made aware of problems, its pretty dis-hearting.. makes a good employee, just end up with give caca attitude.. which is pretty sad, but we just put are Big Boy drawers on and keep forging forward
                    Yep.

Comment

Don’t do it! Keep you head down, fly below the radar, and don’t focus on retirement. Retirement, imo, is waaay overrated. Enjoy the benefits and ride it out. Shat is fixing to get real here and it may be hard to replace a job with the nation being flooded with cheap labor. And some have degrees.

Comment

Walked away early 2019

No job or pay is worth that amount of BS and stress.

Comment

After 29 years, 5 months and 4 days, I walked away from a "job"... Joined with a business partner and continued doing the same thing only we're now doing it for ourselves... We ARE "corporate" and make all the rules... That's the best way I know of to "Fix" working for someone or some company you don't like... Go start your own and do it yourself...

Just remember, it is a LOT easier to find a job if you HAVE a job... be it a new job, starting a new company, or whatever... Just to quit and start looking for something else to do is not usually wise...

Comment

I just get tired of the favoritism that goes on, and the back stabbing I hear now in the position I am in....some of it from managers about the people under them. Due to Covid they moved us around and now I hear conversations that I wish I didnt....
                            My company has moved towards a youth movement and has catered to the " kids" with degrees...doesnt matter what the degree is in, but they have one.
                            I had the best boss in the world, easy going guy to work with....the " kid" I have now has a Masters....very smart guy and driven...MICROMANAGER.....and doesnt realize the vast amount of knowledge and experience he has at his disposal....even though he has been told several times.....fun guy to be around though...
                            Sometimes is seems there is no thought or concern for decisions that are made even though we have policies in place....written policies and when you point that out they get all disgruntled and pissy about it

Comment

Im sick of loosing money
                              I want to sell seed & fertilizer
                              And custom harvest
                              Basically farm farmers

Comment

Originally posted by kerrbow View Post
                                If the work place is toxic, be the one that stands up straight, fight for what 's right and go to battle with the "powers that be" and try to change it. You might be surprised what God can do by using you as the catalyst for yourself and others.
                                All fun and games till you get canned for doing what is right... I prefer to make the decision for me when it is best for me to leave. And don't kid yourself I have been fighting with these pricks since I got here. At some point you see the writing on the wall and realize you are either going to stir it up so much you aren't worth it to them anymore by not toeing the line and are going to be forced out or you tell them to shove it and go find a different set of problems to deal with some where else. A change of scenery does the body good occasionally. That old school grin and bare it mentality is crap, I know my worth and am willing and able to take it somewhere else.

Comment

Working...
                                X