Hot water heater outlet for running a welder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
    Every one I ever had was on a 50 amp circuit... Lived in 4 houses with electric dryer, current included and all had either the 3 prong or 4 prong 50 amp plug and circuit breaker...

Then all 4 were wired wrong. Do a quick search on dryer cords and look at the amp rating on them. No residential dryer is 50 amp.

Comment

My house in Kingwood actually had 2 circuits for the dryer... One was a regular dedicated 20 amp 115V and the other was a 50 amp... ( 115 volt circuit was for use with a gas dryer)... The house was built in the early '70's. My house in Alief, same thing only just 1 50 amp circuit... Maybe codes have changed, but they sure used to be 50 amp circuits..
      had the same plug for the electric stove/stove top as dryer... go figure...

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
        Then all 4 were wired wrong. Do a quick search on dryer cords and look at the amp rating on them. No residential dryer is 50 amp.

You got me curious now... gonna check my house when I get home this evening...
        But not necessarily "wrong" unless there's a code issue. Plugging in a 30 amp requirement dryer into a 50 amp circuit is not a problem tho... The reverse however definitely would be tho...

Comment

Dryer’s are 30A/240V. Reason why you have an additional 15A-20A/120V circuit because you probably have a Natural Gas option option as well for the dryer.

Receptacles/Plugs are designed according to NEMA configurations that correspond to amperage and voltage used.

Check out the Nema plug chart and know all the configurations related to it. Know the voltage, amperage, and much more. Get information on non-locking plugs.

Wire should be the base consideration for the breaker/receptacle sizing.
          Last edited by Greenheadless; 02-09-2021, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
            Dryer’s are 30A/240V. Reason why you have an additional 15A-20A/120V circuit because you probably have a Natural Gas option option as well for the dryer.

Receptacles/Plugs are designed according to NEMA configurations that correspond to amperage and voltage used.

Check out the Nema plug chart and know all the configurations related to it. Know the voltage, amperage, and much more. Get information on non-locking plugs.

Wire should be the base consideration for the breaker/receptacle sizing.

Yea, I knew that 115V plug was to use for a gas dryer. There was a gas outlet there. The house had both gas n lektrik...

Comment

So it’s not missed, why would you need a water heater to heat hot water?

Comment

But not necessarily "wrong" unless there's a code issue. Plugging in a 30 amp requirement dryer into a 50 amp circuit is not a problem tho... The reverse however definitely would be tho...

Charlie it’s not good either way. If you have a 30A appliance on a 50A circuit you could cause a fire if there is an over current fault but not enough to trip the larger breaker.

Whereas if you connect a 50A appliance to a 30A circuit the breaker will trip due to overload.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Haha. The job I came to do was done before I arrived.

Comment

I always used my dryer plug

Comment

I ran my welder off of my hot water plug for a couple years until my shop was built. I made a pigtail for it, and it worked like a champ. I never tried to run it at max capacity, but for the welding I did it worked fine. Only downside is when you’ve been welding all day and you go to get a shower and you have forgotten to plug the heater back in.

Comment

You are incorrect.

Comment

In my old house, my breaker panel was full, so When I needed to run my welder, I disconnected my electric dryer (50 amp) and connected my welder to that circuit until I got a add-on box installed to make room for the new circuit...
                          I'm sure it's not "within code", but I piggy backed off of my dryer plug, to run an air compressor, in my first house. Just had to make sure to turn the compressor off, when I wasn't using it and make sure that Tina didn't start a load in the dryer while I was using air.

I'm sure the dryer circuit was larger than needed for the compressor. Not an ideal situation, but it worked.

Comment

Thought you guys were slipping. Glad you covered it.

Comment

I knew I couldn't slip anything past yall!

I did a little more research and based on manufacture specifications, a 30A circuit is what is recommended. So I am good to go with my dryer outlet that I have. Now I just need to wire up a 30 ft extension chord that will allow me to work with it out in the driveway.

Comment

Working...
                              X