Life of a Rancher! Warning graphic pic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mine got smashed by the momma !
    First calf, what a kick in the nuts, gotta love Farm life.
    Attached Files

Comment

Why are people saying take her to the sale? Calf was backwards, not something indicative of the future. It just happens sometimes. We've pulled several backward calves and the cows never had trouble afterwards.

OP, hope she bounces back quick. My last pull the cow never made it back up. Like you said, part of it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes sir, it happens.
        Hope she makes it.

Comment

Only thing worse is a prolapse

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
            Yep^^^ Had lots of these. Been ranching close to 50 years. It happens from time to time.

Comment

Originally posted by solocam_aggie View Post
              Why are people saying take her to the sale? Calf was backwards, not something indicative of the future. It just happens sometimes. We've pulled several backward calves and the cows never had trouble afterwards.

OP, hope she bounces back quick. My last pull the cow never made it back up. Like you said, part of it.

If you can afford to keep her without a calf for another year then keep her. If you ranch for a living you need a calf every year.
              Last edited by Walker; 02-04-2021, 08:46 PM.

Comment

When I was around 4th -5th grade my dad and uncle had some Charolais cows. I remember using a come along tied to a corner fence post before school trying to pull a calf out. Sometimes we hitched it to a Ford ltd hitch as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                  If you can afford to keep her without a calf for another year then keep her. If you ranch for a living you need a calf every year.
                  So you would propose selling her and buying a bred replacement so you don't lose that calf? Don't see that being an even swap.

Comment

Lost my first calf last year exactly 30 days after it was born. Never did figure out what happened to her. Was definitely a kick to the nads.

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                      I’ve never experienced this with cattle. What makes it worse than a stressful birth?

Comment

uterus pulls out, and needs to be cleaned, pushed back in (if even possibly), and (usually) sew her up.

Hope she doesn't bleed out (internally) before the next sale, or infection doesn't set in.

Then there is a calf to take care of or sell, if it is still alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                          I hear ya. I’ve had to use a chain, come along and a tree to pull them. Not fun. Nerve in the hip gets pinched sometimes and they can’t get up. Given time and encouragement I’ve had them recover.

Now let’s move onto the other fun ranching chores such as palpating and castrating. Lol.
                          I actually don’t mind doing these things. For whatever reason, it makes all the brawny, burly men at my place very squeamish, so these chores are left to me (while they watch and make “cringing” noises).

If you think about it, it probably makes more sense that these two duties are best left in the hands of women. After all, who but someone who’s been through child birth would be more empathetic to being poked, prodded, and palpated; but, more importantly, I don’t know any woman—living or dead— who hasn’t secretly wished she could castrate some man at one point or another.

Comment

Hate when that happens [emoji26]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've been there too and it isn't fun. Had one a couple of years ago I found with the calf half out but the cow couldn't push it. I pulled the calf out but it was already dead and the cow couldn't stand. Had the Vet. come out but there wasn't anything he could do. had to put her down too, which sucked.

Comment

Originally posted by sasqy View Post
                                Mine got smashed by the momma !
                                First calf, what a kick in the nuts, gotta love Farm life.
                                Yeah I went through a couple years of that with Trophy Sheep lambs. Finally after the third year I decided no more lambing for me. I just purchase yearling grow outs now. Much easier to keep alive.

Comment

Working...
                                X