Duck Recipe???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Duck Recipe???

Coming up on duck season and for the past 4 year of hunt I have been giving my ducks to my friends. I ask them how they cooked them but, then wasn’t good to me. So I know some has a recipe out there the doesn’t make duck taste so gamey. What’s your trick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pan sear All sides on a Super hot skillet with salt then hit it with some Fresh ground pepper when almost done. Has to be rare! Medium rare is pushing it. It really is this simple, I used to feel the same as you until My buddy Showed me this.Over cooked duck is horrible and very gamey. The difference is night and day.
    Last edited by Jcjohnson; 08-20-2020, 01:27 AM.

Comment

I cut the breast into thin strips( like steak fingers) and chicken fry them. I love them with eggs and biscuits and gravy for breakfast.

Comment

I chicken fry them most of the time because that's how my kids like them. I'm getting a little pickier as I get older and eat mostly Pintails and Wood ducks. I'll also smoke a few Specklebellies or Mallards if I have the time.

Here's something my daughter showed me when she was about 10..... After you chicken fry them, mix up some yellow mustard and grape jelly for a dipping sauce. If it's too sweet, more mustard. Too tangy, more jelly. Not sure where she found that but it's pretty good.

As far as being "gamey", that's just part of it. Wild game is supposed to taste wild.
        Last edited by WT; 08-20-2020, 06:42 AM.

Comment

Cook them in a pot with potatoes. When done, give the duck to your dogs and eat them taters.

Comment

Look up the recipe that Curtintex posted.

Comment

Rare

Put the same seasoning you put on your steak.

Get grill real hot, cook for about a minute and a half a side.

If it gets to medium rare then they get the "wild gamey" taste.

puddle ducks breasts

Comment

Search in the campfire section for Dinner Thread from about a week ago. I posted pics of how I cooked duck three ways. Took some breast and chicken fried some thin slices, sautéed some with butter and garlic and then just flash seared some with a dry rub.

If you have a WHOLE bunch of left over duck I recommend duck sausage.

Comment

i always brine them, smoke, then shred and add to gumbo. brining does the trick and doesnt take very long.

Comment

After a cold and dreary morning of hunting ducks, warm yourself up with some Pappardelle noodles in Tuscan Duck Sauce.

Just had this for lunch and it was awesome!

Comment

Seared in a skillet to medium rare with olive oil and a steak like or Italian like seasoning. Pair it with some Jasmine rice

Comment

Sear in a hot cast iron with whatever seasoning you prefer and leave rare/medium rare. Overcooking is the worst thing you can do to duck.

Comment

Man, you guys are all doing it wrong. Cut it up 1in to 3/4in squares and wrap it with bacon and jalepeno, and put a tooth pick to hold it together. Spread it out on a cooking sheet covered with foil, and bake till done. It's great. Some ducks are better then others. I only shoot the one's I like to eat.

Serve with white rice, black eye peas, and greens.

Comment

Soak a cedar plank for 3 hours in warm water. Season the duck as you would like. Grill the duck on plank for 5 minutes on medium-high heat. Remove duck and plank from grill. Toss the duck in the trash, chew on the plank and enjoy!

Comment

Sear the breasts like others have said, but confit the legs, thighs, and wings.

And when in doubt on game recipes, Hank Shaw has the answers: https://honest-food.net/wild-game/duck-goose-recipes/

Comment

Working...
                              X