• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pit boss

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
      If I won’t get more than 5 years out of a Yoder, I’m not buying one

You’ll get more than 5 years out of a Pitts & Spitts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I splurged last year and went with the Pitts and Spitts 1250. It works great! I recently purchased the smoke daddy that goes over the burn pot. I modified it and now I can get more wood smoke flavor with it.

Comment

RecTec has 6 year warranty on the 700 and up models....just FYI
          Last edited by Passthrough; 05-31-2020, 10:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 44magnum View Post
            I splurged last year and went with the Pitts and Spitts 1250. It works great! I recently purchased the smoke daddy that goes over the burn pot. I modified it and now I can get more wood smoke flavor with it.

Why would you need this on a P&S? Mine gets plenty of smoke flavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I never could get a good smoke flavor out of the pit. I've tried various pellets and even called Coy at P&S. I currently use Lumberjack pellets with small chunks of pecan in the smoke daddy. I leave the ball valve open and sometimes crack the lid a little and it maintains temp. I cant stand too much smoke either however this seems to be the right amount.

Comment

Originally posted by 44magnum View Post
                I never could get a good smoke flavor out of the pit. I've tried various pellets and even called Coy at P&S. I currently use Lumberjack pellets with small chunks of pecan in the smoke daddy. I leave the ball valve open and sometimes crack the lid a little and it maintains temp. I cant stand too much smoke either however this seems to be the right amount.

Interesting. Everything I cook has great flavor and when smoking brisket I get excellent bark. Not sure what the issue may be with yours.

Comment

They are built like a tank, I would think they would last for many many years, may have to replace a thermal coupler or something down the road, the pit itself looks to be the last one I will have to buy unless I just want something different.

Comment

Pitts & Spitts... I've owned a RecTec and now have a Pitts & Spitts.

Comment

I bought the Traeger Ironwood 850 earlier this year and love it. It gets up to 500 for grilling w/o a problem and I do most of my smoking at 225 on super smoke mode. Turns out great and it’s easy enuff to use that my wife has cooked a lot of stuff on it also

Comment

I got my Rec Tec 590 friday and got is setup and seasoned this weekend. So far it has performed well, maintains temp evenly (within 2 degrees for 8 hours), and is able to recover fairly quickly after the lid is opened. I was a little worried how well it would do with recovering heat but it was back to temp within 5 minutes of closing the lid. I seasoned a new cast iron flat top in the pit which took about 6 hours total and each time it recovered within 5 minutes. You can also get insulated blankets for pellet grills if you want to.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                          Why would you need this on a P&S? Mine gets plenty of smoke flavor.

Mike, I have the Pitts and Spitts 1250 as you do. I have been very impressed for the most part with the smoker. I have only done a few briskets and admittedly haven't gotten the bark (color) you are getting. Do you mind telling me what temperature you smoke at and what internal temp you wrap?

Comment

What pellet grill?

Originally posted by Pin Oak DXT View Post
                            Mike, I have the Pitts and Spitts 1250 as you do. I have been very impressed for the most part with the smoker. I have only done a few briskets and admittedly haven't gotten the bark (color) you are getting. Do you mind telling me what temperature you smoke at and what internal temp you wrap?

I run my briskets at 225° for the entire cook. Be prepared to cook for 12-14 hours depending on the size of the brisket, probably longer on one over 15# or so. I season Texas style with corse ground kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper and nothing else. So far I only use 100% oak lumberjack pellets.

I pull around 165° if the bark looks good and wrap in pink butcher paper. I start probing for tenderness around 202 and have taken some as high as 205°. I pull, leave in the butcher paper and rest for a minimum of 2 hours. I used to rest them in a cooler but I now have a warming drawer in the house and I rest them in there on it’s lowest temp setting.

This is one I did recently. Pulled at 165 to wrap because of the stall and the bark was already well developed.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
                              I run my briskets at 225° for the entire cook. Be prepared to cook for 12-14 hours depending on the size of the brisket, probably longer on one over 15# or so. I season Texas style with corse ground kosher salt and coarse ground black pepper and nothing else. So far I only use 100% oak lumberjack pellets.

I pull around 165° if the bark looks good and wrap in pink butcher paper. I start probing for tenderness around 202 and have taken some as high as 205°. I pull, leave in the butcher paper and rest for a minimum of 2 hours. I used to rest them in a cooler but I now have a warming drawer in the house and I rest them in there on it’s lowest temp setting.

This is one I did recently. Pulled at 165 to wrap because of the stall and the bark was already well developed.

Thanks Mike. Appreciate the information.

Comment

Rec Tec...thank me later.

Comment

Working...
                                X