No announcement yet.

2019 LBJ Grassland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice buck troy, you consistently seem to get close to bih bucks on public land...well done again!

Comment

Originally posted by topshot View Post
      Nice buck troy, you consistently seem to get close to bih bucks on public land...well done again!
      Thanks man! Lots of scouting and homework pays off every once in a while!

Comment

Congrats Zach on the first bow buck. Good deal!

Comment

Thank you fellas! Headed back this morning with the slug gun!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by troy_w_7 View Post
            I shot a doe a few weeks back. I may try again over Thanksgiving weekend or try to shoot a spike. I do have a big deer on cam that's got a 5 point side and a long spike on the other. I'd really like to find another public place in a different county to hunt the rut.
            Caddo grasslands and corps land around texoma are the first ones that come to mind. There is also public hunting around Whitney and Aquilla lakes.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
              Caddo grasslands and corps land around texoma are the first ones that come to mind. There is also public hunting around Whitney and Aquilla lakes.
              Thanks for the info. Looking into Caddo, Pat Mayes, Texoma, and/or Tawakoni. Possibly Whitney too.

Comment

There are no deer at lake Whitney, same as lbj.

Comment

That's awesome, it's a great place to work!

Comment

Originally posted by xZachTheRipper8 View Post
                    If you decide to go down to whitney let me know! I went down a few weeks ago. It's a little more of a challenge I think

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk
                    Whitney is a cool place to go, yea you are correct in saying it is a challenge.

Comment

Shot a pretty good buck this morning! The track job was very difficult but I found him. Deer were moving today and this guy came right through at 15 yards. Very proud of him! I guess I'm done at LBJ this year.

You guys suggest any public in north/northeast/east TX?
                      Nice Buck! That is a brute!! Congrats!

Comment

Not sure who needs to see this, but Charles posted this on fb:

Attention all grasslands hunters

Respectfully,

1. If you have questions about the grasslands, go by our office at 1400 N. 287 Decatur or call 940-627-5475

We have a person at the front desk that can give you all the information you need along with TPWD books.

2. CALLING GAME WARDENS AND FS LE FOR EVERY LITTLE QUESTION IS NOT THEIR JOB.

WE GET CALLS at 4 am, 5 am, 6 am, 7 am etc every day asking questions like,
                        Q. How long can I keep my blind up 5am
                        Q. Can I drive behind a gate 630a.m
                        Q. Is a buck legal to shoot if he is 7 yrs old but 11 inches wide spread at 730am
                        Q. Can i ride my 4 wheeler to get my deer 745 am
                        So on and so on,
                        SOMEONE IS HUNTING NEXT TO MY SPOT ETC....

Look, we do not mind calls for emergencies. Legitimate poaching in progress, spot lighters, etc at home at 5 am or midnight but these question everyone has is not a State Game Wardens job nor FS Law Enforcement.

We have websites, TPWD has outdoor Manuel on an App now. It is your responsibility to know the rules and regulations prior to hunting. We know some things in the rules and regulations are confusing, even we have to figure them out because the way they have attorneys write these rules and regulations.

However, If it is life or death situation call 911

We are busy and we can not answer ever call about stuff, you can find out online or visiting the Forest Service office on your own time.

1. Wear your orange
                        2. Do not bait
                        3. Do not leave stand up more than 72 hrs. If your stand or camera is missing, good chance we have it in evidence. Feel free to call our office.
                        4. Do not drive off road. The map has all legal roads, I suggest everyone buy a map.
                        5. Do not cut locks or drive in gates.
                        6. No target shooting anywhere on grasslands.
                        7. Do not leave camping trailers all season.
                        8. Do not leave unattended campfires.
                        9 Doe season 4 days starting Thanksgiving day.
                        10. No hunting within 150 yard of horse trails and 50 yrds from roads. 150 yrds away from rec areas, Tadra, Valley View, Black Creek.

Just a reminder, Game Wardens work all over the county and have to work other counties. Therefore we are all extremely busy. Taking calls on legitimate poaching cases, search and rescue. Etc...... so just understand I am not asking you to not call on a situation, just use common sense when and what your calling for or about. We have families and work 16 hour days during hunting seasons. We need our down time like everyone else. So please do not take this in the wrong way.

Good luck, we have made great cases so far from hunters giving us legitimate information and it is greatly appreciated.

1 800 792 4263, OGT TPWD to report poaching.

For general questions FS office or 940-627-5475

Thank you

Comment

Originally posted by DirtyDave View Post
                          Not sure who needs to see this, but Charles posted this on fb:

Attention all grasslands hunters

Respectfully,

1. If you have questions about the grasslands, go by our office at 1400 N. 287 Decatur or call 940-627-5475

We have a person at the front desk that can give you all the information you need along with TPWD books.

2. CALLING GAME WARDENS AND FS LE FOR EVERY LITTLE QUESTION IS NOT THEIR JOB.

WE GET CALLS at 4 am, 5 am, 6 am, 7 am etc every day asking questions like,
                          Q. How long can I keep my blind up 5am
                          Q. Can I drive behind a gate 630a.m
                          Q. Is a buck legal to shoot if he is 7 yrs old but 11 inches wide spread at 730am
                          Q. Can i ride my 4 wheeler to get my deer 745 am
                          So on and so on,
                          SOMEONE IS HUNTING NEXT TO MY SPOT ETC....

Look, we do not mind calls for emergencies. Legitimate poaching in progress, spot lighters, etc at home at 5 am or midnight but these question everyone has is not a State Game Wardens job nor FS Law Enforcement.

We have websites, TPWD has outdoor Manuel on an App now. It is your responsibility to know the rules and regulations prior to hunting. We know some things in the rules and regulations are confusing, even we have to figure them out because the way they have attorneys write these rules and regulations.

However, If it is life or death situation call 911

We are busy and we can not answer ever call about stuff, you can find out online or visiting the Forest Service office on your own time.

1. Wear your orange
                          2. Do not bait
                          3. Do not leave stand up more than 72 hrs. If your stand or camera is missing, good chance we have it in evidence. Feel free to call our office.
                          4. Do not drive off road. The map has all legal roads, I suggest everyone buy a map.
                          5. Do not cut locks or drive in gates.
                          6. No target shooting anywhere on grasslands.
                          7. Do not leave camping trailers all season.
                          8. Do not leave unattended campfires.
                          9 Doe season 4 days starting Thanksgiving day.
                          10. No hunting within 150 yard of horse trails and 50 yrds from roads. 150 yrds away from rec areas, Tadra, Valley View, Black Creek.

Just a reminder, Game Wardens work all over the county and have to work other counties. Therefore we are all extremely busy. Taking calls on legitimate poaching cases, search and rescue. Etc...... so just understand I am not asking you to not call on a situation, just use common sense when and what your calling for or about. We have families and work 16 hour days during hunting seasons. We need our down time like everyone else. So please do not take this in the wrong way.

Good luck, we have made great cases so far from hunters giving us legitimate information and it is greatly appreciated.

1 800 792 4263, OGT TPWD to report poaching.

For general questions FS office or 940-627-5475

Thank you
                          Good to know. A few years ago, my buddy went in early to setup and half an hour later, was met by 3 guys trying to kick him out because they've set up their spot the night before. It's freaking PUBLIC land! He almost got into a stupid fight over it but my buddy decided to leave and not cause any trouble even though he had every right to be there. I was upset when he told me when we met up later that afternoon. Some guys are jerks

Comment

Originally posted by Hunterlo70 View Post
                            Good to know. A few years ago, my buddy went in early to setup and half an hour later, was met by 3 guys trying to kick him out because they've set up their spot the night before. It's freaking PUBLIC land! He almost got into a stupid fight over it but my buddy decided to leave and not cause any trouble even though he had every right to be there. I was upset when he told me when we met up later that afternoon. Some guys are jerks

My rule on public land is first in has the rights, but if I know a set is there then I move on. No way of knowing someone set up the night before when I setup in the early AM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for the info. Looking into Caddo, Pat Mayes, Texoma, and/or Tawakoni. Possibly Whitney too.
                              Look into some of the land that is in Gordonville area around Hagerman. They have a lot of public land up there that is bow only. I use to hunt it when I lived in Pilot Point.

Comment

congrats on the kills guys, I hunted all October at lbj and had no luck, but i did get at full draw on a fat lone mature doe about two weeks ago, just needed her to go 1-2 more yards but she never did, I saw 3-4 young bucks and lots of promising areas.....

so now is it ML only and no more archery or can you hunt archery out there all year long? i talked to a gentleman at one of my camp spots one time and he said its gun only once regular season starts?

Comment

Working...
                                X