Home Away From Home

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Away From Home

I was going to name this post "Blog Cabin" because I thought I would be able to post images as the construction slowly took place.

However, building began while I was away and so my brother Bubba keeps me updated on the swift construction progress.

A few months ago, my wife and I decided it would be a good idea to build a small cabin on our land close to where we both grew up in Northeast Texas some 250 miles from where we live in the Texas Panhandle. Call our pending lifestyle bi-residential if you will.

Anyway, while getting started on the construction was painfully slow, it went blazingly fast once the framing crew began. These two images were taken 24-hours apart and show how fast this thing really went up.

It isn't a big place but big enough for sleeping quarters. If you've ever stayed in a hotel suite at a Residence Inn, the place is roughly the size of those room. By no means big enough to make a permanent residence but perfect for sleeping, some light cooking, and hanging out.

We've been inspired to go green as well. The walls are framed with recycled lumber pieces finger-jointed together to make the pieces stronger that first-cut lumber. Ample windows allow plenty of natural light and eliminate the need for using a bunch of electricity during the daylight hours, and the water system will consist of captured rainwater, double osomosis filtered and supply a low-flow shower head, toilet, and kitchen and bathroom faucets.

Furthermore, we're installing a U-panel, Galvalume roof which will direct more heat away from the ventilated attic space. For now, we've wrapped the house and will insulate the attic with a cellulose material to further reduce the energy expenditures to heat and cool the place.

The cabin's exterior will be lapped Hardy Plank siding stained with a cedar stain.

Sunday, I arrive to start the interior work so I'll keep you updated on the progress.

Should be a neat place.

Last edited by Russell Graves; 06-19-2009, 08:04 AM.

looking good sir. thats always a neat project.

Comment

Looks great Russell how about a invite? LOL

Comment

now the work will never stop.

Comment

No time for work. Surrounded by four fishing ponds and less than a mile from where I hunt back in those parts, you know what I'll be doing.

Comment

sweet!

i love a good project!

Comment

nice

Comment

Great project.

Comment

you know the saying about idle hands... your's will be anything but

looking forward to following the progress

Comment

Very nice Russell. I am considering converting to solar panels, batteries and 12v lights at our cabin to keep from having to run the genset so much at ours.

Tbar

Comment

Very cool, Russell! When you get to the "light cooking and hanging out" phase, give me a shout. I'll bring beer! That's going to be a great place for you and the family to stay!

Michael
                      My Flickr Photos

Comment

Intrigued. I need to do the same at our family place. The cost is a big concern, though.

Looking forward to following along.

Comment

looking good

Comment

Originally posted by Casey View Post
                            Intrigued. I need to do the same at our family place. The cost is a big concern, though.

Looking forward to following along.
                            I have a budget of $15,000 and it looks like I'll come in about $1,000 under.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                              Very cool, Russell! When you get to the "light cooking and hanging out" phase, give me a shout. I'll bring beer! That's going to be a great place for you and the family to stay!

Michael

I will. Once I get everything together (hopefully by mid July) I plan on having a party out there.

Comment

Working...
                              X