Colorado Elk 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colorado Elk 2016

First, let me say I haven't killed an elk with a bow in Colorado, or anywhere else.

I have killed a couple dozen with a rifle and revolver, though. I know where to find them, and to some extent how to hunt them.

I've called a bunch of bulls in, both in Colorado and Montana, but never shot an arrow, even though I've had bulls inside 15 yards. They know EXACTLY where the caller is, and I've always hunted alone.

Coyote callers will be be familiar with this. Teams are the ticket.

In their home they are smarter than we are. :-)

Anyway, in my 20-odd years in Colorado, I have seen most first-time nonresident DIY hunters spend that first year just learning a bit about where to hunt and how to hunt elk.

I can't promise a shot, obviously, but I do know a bit about elk.

By now it sounds like I'm selling something, I know...:-)

I'm not. I just met some good men a couple of weeks ago at Big Oak; men I think I would like to hunt with.

I'm planning to give those rascals another try this year. If anyone wants to go along, I can at least get us in good country, teach the basics, and maybe cut a year or two off the learning curve.

At best, figure your chances of killing a branch-antlered bull at 25%. If a cow will do, maybe 50%.

This ain't philanthropy. I'm interested in up to a half-dozen experienced hunters who are in good shape, know how to hunt on foot, know how to camp without electricity, will learn to call elk (I can help with that)

If you can't jog a mile without puking, or have 50# extra around the middle, this ain't for you.

Elk hunting is HARD WORK. Especially if you kill one. :-)

Joe

Hey Joe where do I sign up my father and I want to get a elk likecrazy

Comment

Oh I didn't read the last part.i fail on both of those criteria but I'm strong as a mule

Comment

Originally posted by little john View Post
        Oh I didn't read the last part.i fail on both of those criteria but I'm strong as a mule
        From my experience it doesnt matter how strong someone is (not being rude). It matters if they can walk up and down mountains while carrying extra heavy loads if no horses are available . Going down is the worst I think.

Comment

Originally posted by RutnBuk View Post
          From my experience it doesnt matter how strong someone is (not being rude). It matters if they can walk up and down mountains while carrying extra heavy loads if no horses are available . Going down is the worst I think.
          noooo going up is way worse imo.

Comment

Yes sir

Comment

Strong as a mule is a very good attribute in elk hunting, John. :-)

'Specially after one is down in a deep hole on an 80 degree afternoon.

I'll bring a freezer and a generator, but we gotta get 'em to it before they spoil.

You'd do, I reckon. Heart counts too.

Actually the Uncompahgre is not too hard to hunt. It's a flat-topped plateau, and we camp on top. It gets hard when the dead elk is 1000' below camp, though.

Joe

Comment

I am VERY interested in a hunt. I am very interested in learning to call and how to hunt elk in CO. I hunted the Uncompahgre forrest on the mountain in my avatar in 2013 and 2014.
                I am 0-2.... missed a cow.
                Are you packing in or camping at road side/trail head?
                Contact info natvet73atgmail
                Nathan
                Last edited by natvet; 02-22-2016, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Are we talking September-October hunt? I'm not that far out of shape, plus, I have packgoats!

Where are we going, how much is the cost (tags, fuel, etc.)?

It has been MANY years since I have hunted Elk and we never called so much as sat on wallows, glassed and stalked, and hunted trail/mountain crossings; seriously, I was a kid the last time I hunted Elk in New Mexico.

I would love to get with someone who knows how and learn from them while we hunted.

I already have all the gear needed (I am a hiker/backpacker already) and just need to whip myself into shape.

I shoot a wheelie bow though, hope that's okay with you...

Comment

Originally posted by RoyseCity View Post
                    Strong as a mule is a very good attribute in elk hunting, John. :-)

'Specially after one is down in a deep hole on an 80 degree afternoon.

I'll bring a freezer and a generator, but we gotta get 'em to it before they spoil.

You'd do, I reckon. Heart counts too.

Actually the Uncompahgre is not too hard to hunt. It's a flat-topped plateau, and we camp on top. It gets hard when the dead elk is 1000' below camp, though.

Joe
                    What unit? 61 or 62?

Comment

Originally posted by txhoghunter73 View Post
                      noooo going up is way worse imo.
                      I always thought up was the worst until I took one this past season that had to be taken down a mountain that was straight down. My knees gave out more than once causing me and hind quarters to go downhill.

Comment

Natvet-main camp by road- spike camps or hunting overnight with a pack a great plan though. If you find 'em in the evening it is good to stay the night with them.

Rat- to be honest I was thinking trad bows, but I ain't no wheelbow hater. Pack goats? Now that's intriguing! Not sure if they're allowed, but can find out. Anything that ain't me carrying 100# of meat is my best friend. :-) 4- whlrs can be handy, but are restricted.

Bow season is roughly the month of September. 1st week is real crowded, 3rd week includes muzzleloaders, 4th week might be winter. I'm retired; I could be there all season and folks could come and go and bring me beer and snacks. :-)

Joe

Comment

Rutnbuk-It's a tie. Up and down both suck with a heavy pack.

I haven't been there in 4 years, and can't remember which area is which. I think 61 is the limited draw area. If you can draw there, your chances go way up. Gotta get on it though.
                          Deadline is April I think.

Regarding costs and dates, Y'all can look that up as easy as I can.

Joe

Comment

I've hunted the Uncompahgre area in the limited draw area, but we horsepacked into the Wilderness area. I would love to do this hunt, but I'm just to old and beat up for it.

Comment

Originally posted by RoyseCity View Post
                              Rutnbuk-It's a tie. Up and down both suck with a heavy pack.

I haven't been there in 4 years, and can't remember which area is which. I think 61 is the limited draw area. If you can draw there, your chances go way up. Gotta get on it though.
                              Deadline is April I think.

Regarding costs and dates, Y'all can look that up as easy as I can.

Joe
                              I will agree. It is one awesome problem to have though.
                              61 is the limited draw. Ive got 17 or 18 points and still will not be drawn this year. Last time I hunted elk there was 98'. Know the area well but just sucks it takes so long to get a tag.

Comment

Working...
                              X