Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Booked a hunt, need a processor...

...or at least I hope I will.

Got a call from Whitney at Big Oak yesterday. Sadly, it wasn't to ask me out :-), but it was the next best thing.

I had asked her about booking a hunt last Saturday, and she said they were booked up, but she'd see what she could do.

I'm in for April 1-2! COOL!!!

Primary quarry is a hog or two, but if a fat red deer gives me a shot, I'm pretty sure I'll take it.

So...planning ahead...any recommended processors on the east side of the Metromess? I cross Lake Ray Hubbard with great reluctance...:-)

Joe

Awesome!!! Can't wait to follow the hunt!

(sorry, no advice on processors, not only do I not live anywhere near you, I also DIY processing.)

Comment

Booked a hunt, need a processor...

Good luck, Joe! I can't wait to hear about, and see the pics from you adventure!

Bisch

Comment

Good luck Joe.

Comment

I think there is a processer in Rockwall

Comment

Best of luck to you Joe. Hope to see a pic of some dead critters soon.

Comment

Good luck Joe! Knockem dead! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Good luck Joe...

Comment

Rockwall Deer processing.

Comment

You got bitten good by the Big Oak Bug, I tell you the place is totally addicting! Good luck on your hunt. .

Comment

Thanks for all the good wishes. From your keyboards to God's ears!

I googled Rockwall Deer Processing. Really spotty reviews. Apparently they often take weeks or even months to get your meat back to you.

I don't get that. Every processor I've ever used wanted it in and out ASAP.

Maybe I'll just do it myself. I can cut it up, but I can't make sausage or burger.

Joe

Comment

I've done a lot of research in the last couple of days, and it seems every processor has as many ravers as haters.

Crapshoot. Spendy too.

The several week wait seems typical. Don't like that at all.

I used to always butcher my own, but got lazy in the last 15-20 years, and was blessed with good, quick processors, both in Colorado and the Texas Panhandle.

So...I'm going to go back to butchering my own.

Back in the old days in Montana, I could take my trimmings to a butcher and he'd grind them then and there for 10 cents a pound.

Yeah, yeah, another old man yammering about the good old days...:-)

Anyway, I can live without ground meat, but it IS the best way to use some cuts, in my opinion, and I love a good burger.

From other recent threads, I gather that at least Little John and SwampRabbit grind their own.

Probably others too. I'm considering buying a grinder, but the only experience I have with one was bad. A hand grinder. Worthless

Don't want to spend a ton, preferably south of $200.

Any recommendations?

Thanks.

Joe

Comment

Try posting a wanted on the classifieds. Seems like lots of folks like the idea, but never use that nice grinder they got for Christmas a few years back.

Comment

Oh and I have an LEM big bite #8. If that ever breaks, I will make my own grinder.

Comment

Working...
                            X