Instinctive shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Instinctive shooting

How do you learn to shoot instinctive? I have an old recurve that I play with sometimes and I have yet figured out how to aim. I can hit my block at 5 yards but no further.
    The reason I say sometimes is because I get frustrated from not knowing what I am doing.

For me it is a lot like throwing a baseball. I just practiced picking a spot and concentrating on it then letting her fly (after getting the right anchor of course). Repeat over and over until the pattern is ingrained.

Honestly, if you are having trouble just hitting the block past five yards, it may be that your bow/ arrows are pretty out of tune.

Comment

How do I tune it? The arrows seem to fly straight. Its only a 28# bow so its not fast at all and easy to watch arrow flight.

Comment

First I would make sure that your brace height is correct and you have the nock point in the right place.

when you move past 5 yards, how are you missing? what size is your block target? are you shooting 3 under or split?

also, there are some good threads on tuning in the Traditional Forum. I Started there.

Comment

You can probably find some folks who shoot traditional equipment close to you and they could help you get off on the right track. There are trad archers everywhere.

Comment

The first key to instinctive shooting is developing consistent form - especially a consistent anchor. Every variation at your face - up/down/left/right - is magnified out at the end of the arrow. You don't have much chance of consistency until you draw and anchor the same way every time. There are not a lot of shortcuts, you just have to shoot enough to let the computer between your ears take over. Stand at 5-8 yards, focus on a spot and start shooting. You will automatically start making adjustments without consciously thinking about it. When you start to find your groove at 5-8 yards, move back to 10-12 and do the same thing. After you have been shooting a while you will start to "see" the arrow trajectory before you even shoot. The first time you look at a small spot then hit it, it is a great feeling. Then it is just a matter of practice - I would do as much blind bale form practice as target practice at this stage. Stick with it - it will come, and it will be awesome!

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
              The first key to instinctive shooting is developing consistent form - especially a consistent anchor. Every variation at your face - up/down/left/right - is magnified out at the end of the arrow. You don't have much chance of consistency until you draw and anchor the same way every time. There are not a lot of shortcuts, you just have to shoot enough to let the computer between your ears take over. Stand at 5-8 yards, focus on a spot and start shooting. You will automatically start making adjustments without consciously thinking about it. When you start to find your groove at 5-8 yards, move back to 10-12 and do the same thing. After you have been shooting a while you will start to "see" the arrow trajectory before you even shoot. The first time you look at a small spot then hit it, it is a great feeling. Then it is just a matter of practice - I would do as much blind bale form practice as target practice at this stage. Stick with it - it will come, and it will be awesome!
              I think Jerp nailed it. There are no shortcuts, you have to get out there and shoot. Don't overthink it.

Comment

What Jerp said
                when i bought my first trad bow about 5 years ago i could not hit a dang thing for a long time. didn't practice enough and missed a buck the next year.
                started practicing a lot and have not missed a deer since(3 years). It takes awhile to train the mind to point the bow where you look.

Comment

Originally posted by jerp View Post
                  x2 practice, practice, practice

Try to get with someone who already shoots traditional to help you shorten that learning curve. Good luck and give it time and stick with it.

Comment

What jerp said. an even simpler method think about throwing a baseball. keep both eyes open and alot of practice with a lot of focus and concentrating on where you want the arra to go.

best of luck to ya Bud

Comment

Point the index finger of your bow hand at the spot you want to hit.

Comment

Originally posted by A.M. Rambler View Post
                        For me it is a lot like throwing a baseball. I just practiced picking a spot and concentrating on it then letting her fly (after getting the right anchor of course). Repeat over and over until the pattern is ingrained.

This.

Honestly, if you are having trouble just hitting the block past five yards, it may be that your bow/ arrows are pretty out of tune.
                        This.

Originally posted by A.M. Rambler View Post
                        First I would make sure that your brace height is correct and you have the nock point in the right place.

This.
                        when you move past 5 yards, how are you missing? what size is your block target? are you shooting 3 under or split?

also, there are some good threads on tuning in the Traditional Forum. I Started there.
                        Originally posted by Ron View Post
                        You can probably find some folks who shoot traditional equipment close to you and they could help you get off on the right track. There are trad archers everywhere.
                        And this.

Comment

I will add this. I anchor my middle finger in the corner of my mouth. That gives me a consistent anchor point. Other than that, good advice above. Good luck!

Comment

Thanks guys. I will work on it my next set of days off.

Comment

Also, I like to anchor my middle finger between my canine tooth and my first molar. This postition also means that my thumb knuckle is touching my earlobe, and the fletching is barely touching the tip of my nose. If a hit all three of these positions, and brush my thumbnail against my shoulder on release, my shot is within an inch or two of where I'm looking. If it goes outside of this, it usually means I didn't hit all my positions correctly, most likely because my concentration was dwindling or I rushed the shot.

Comment

Working...
                              X