Glue-on Broadhead Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glue-on Broadhead Question

What's the best way to get them glued onto the adapters straight? I seem to have a little trouble with the longer heads like the Grizzlys and the Interceptors. I twist the broadhead on when the glue is hot and press and hold it on a few seconds before sticking it in water. Then I spin them and redo if they wobble. Any tips will help. Thanks, Jeff

I do about the same, minus sticking in water

Comment

For me, i like to clean them both with acetone and q-tips and then do a dry fit once they dry. 9 times out of 10 the dry fit is fine and I know that once glued they'll be almost perfect. I spin check and adjust as necessary after gluing just to be sure

My preferred method for actually installing is to rub some wax on the end of an arrow and then screw in the adapter. I use the wax so that any epoxy overrun doesnt permanently attach the broadhead to the arrow. Then I roll the the adapter in the epoxy and slowly insert into the broadhead....twisting as I go. I make sure to use a lot of pressure at the end. Then i wipe off the excess and do a spin check and then eyeball it. Adjust if necessary.

While my method isnt as scientific or precise as a true spin tester, I believe it to be a sound method.

Comment

^^^ For what it's worth, Bill Dunn of Grizzly Broadheads does it about the same way.

Comment

I only use LONG tapered adapters. They seat on straighter than short adapters.

I like to use the hot melt glue so I can remount the broadheads on another adapter if that one becomes damaged.

I use a propane torch as a heat source. I heat up the glue then apply to the adapter. I then heat the INSIDE of the BH. This gets the BH hot so that it mounts on the adapter easier and it burns away any paint etc that is inside of the BH.

I install the BH by twisting on the shaft. After it is aligned I push the BH onto the shaft by putting the point on a piece of wood and shoving down on the arrow.

Comment

I use the longer adapters as well. I use insert iron because you can heat it up and remove the broadlead like you can with hot melt. I spin it onto the adapter and line it up and put pressure on it for a few seconds the wipe away excess glue. Never had a wobble problem that way and I use grizzly and tusker

Comment

Thanks for the input guys. How do you adjust if there is a wobble issue?

Comment

An arrow spinner with an adjustable point on an end plate is the best way to adjust the broadhead to be perfect. i made the one I have about 35 years ago and can't imagine mounting heads with out it. It makes it very fast to do and extremely accurate.

Comment

Working...
                X