No announcement yet.

What's your Trad arrow Setup?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will preface this by starting that I prefer to spend my limited time shooting rather than messing with gear. My bias is to have a point-on around 40yds and would like my arrows to weigh 500grn+ (56# @ 29”). That can generally be achieved in a variety of different combinations.

I start by bare shaft tuning at 20yds to get the arrows close, then add feathers (now tradvanes) and work my way back shooting from 10yds to 60yds. If they appear to fly good, I shoot some broadheads. If the broadheads fly well, I forget about it until I change bows or can no longer get some component of that arrow combination.

In college we would tune until we could group our bare shafts with our fletched arrows at 70meters. I’ve never had the ability or rather patience to really tune bare shafts shooting off the shelf. As mentioned above as long as my broadheads appear to fly well, I turn my attention to my shooting.

Current setup Axis 260shafts, 51grn black eagle insert, 4-3” tradvanes, 150” cutthroat. 531grn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
      There is a dealer in Dallas. He goes by TexKing on here. You can PM him for any Widowmaker shafts or broadheads you may need! I work on his ranch in London. If you want more info, let me know!!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Thanks !!!

Rick

Comment

All three bows are unstrung and in storage. Ops tempo at work for the next 7 months is 120% above normal. No hunting this year. All those arrows, all that work tuning and shooting this spring and summer... in storage.

Richard.

Comment

Amended:

60” 54@28 Sarrels Lynx Recurve
          31.25” Beman 400 Centershots
          Factory 4” parabolic 3fletch

Arrow Front load #1
          18gr aluminum insert
          250gr Abowyer single bevel brown bears
          Glory Nocks Blue 22 gn
          OAW 600gn
          FOC: enough

I paper tuned tonight and it was interesting the difference that a 9 gn factory H nock caused versus a 22 gn illum nock whether or not I shot bullets holes (w/22gn Glory nock) or shot lateral tears (w/9gn factory H nock). Since Ive only got 3 illum nocks and wanted more practice nocks (and I dont think Colorado allows lighted nocks), I cut a piece of threaded 8-32 screw thread and hot glued it into a factory 9gn H nock to make the nock 23 gn. Now the altered factory H nock arrows punch (closer to) bullet holes. Im looking forward to some bareshaft shooting but need to build a few more altered nocks. I like testing/tuning with several arrows for variance purposes.

I had a doe jump my arrow at 11 yds WT opening evening and I felt compelled to retest and reevaluate my system since last post. Carrying on Boss.

Comment

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post
            All three bows are unstrung and in storage. Ops tempo at work for the next 7 months is 120% above normal. No hunting this year. All those arrows, all that work tuning and shooting this spring and summer... in storage.

Richard.
            Thank you for doin what your doin. God bless!

Comment

Originally posted by Junkers88 View Post

Richard.
              Aww man! Was hoping we could make it out to granger or amistad this season!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Fishxbones View Post
                Aww man! Was hoping we could make it out to granger or amistad this season!

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                Man if I can get just a little ahead here we'll go. New leadership and increase in numbers has me working my tail off. Between work, trying to finish two degrees and my military education all my rec time has disappeared.

Comment

Originally posted by LiftAndShoot View Post
                  First of all - what's ASC? I live up near you..

Second, I would do this if it were not for a week of the wife's late shift and my ankle-biting hooligans driving me batty..
                  Arlington Sportsman Club, if you don’t know it, you need to go check it out

Comment

Working...
                  X