The Backcountry Gear Thread!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
    What sleeping bag is that? I'm shopping down bags now. Chickened out of the quilt idea and I want at least a 15 degree bag but still want it to compress.
    North Face hyper kazoo

Comment

Originally posted by TexaRican View Post
      What sleeping bag is that? I'm shopping down bags now. Chickened out of the quilt idea and I want at least a 15 degree bag but still want it to compress.
      Big Agnes has a light/affordable 15* bag. I went with the REI Lumen 20 and a Nemo Tensor Insulated bag (40oz for the bag). The Hammock Gear quilts have already caught my attention for next year..

Just ordered my Aqua Quest tarp. 17.5oz and 10’x7’. Thoughts or experience?

I decided I won’t be bringing my tripod as it’s too much weight (2.2lbs) and I don’t think I’ll need/use it enough. If I drop my rain gear (pending the forecast) and my extra shirt, I’ll be at 28.5lbs(bow included) before water/food. I’m sure I’m forgetting something but I should still be under 30lbs. Trekking poles and food are the last things to buy on my list.
      Last edited by Patton; 08-05-2018, 02:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
        From my experience of 30 years of buying the wrong stuff this is what I have found to work in the back country. 1st I don't shop on "hunting" web-sites, go to the backpacking web-sites because when it comes to walking in the mountains for days at a time the backpackers know what they are doing. 2nd weight is everything, I when from a 6 lb hunting pack to a 3 lb backpackers pack, from a 3.5 lb (20°) sleeping bag to a 18 oz (20°) sleeping bag. 3rd Hiking boots not hunting boots and I wouldn't go with the really stiff ones unless you have about 2 years to break them in. 4th If you don't 100% need it don't take it, I've burned a lot of things on a mountain so I wouldn't have to carry them any longer. LOL
        Hope this helps someone.
        Unfortunately, I've never had the privilege of going on a true backcountry hunt. I dream of it, though. Melds my two passions of backpacking and hunting perfectly. However, I have done a TON of backpacking and used to work for REI. I can talk gear ALL DAY

Comment

Compressed in dry bags and then the pack loaded. The stuff on the right will be worn in. All in at 35lb without food. Was shooting to stay under 60lb and should do that pretty easy

Comment

Are you just rolling with the therma rest foam pad?

Comment

Originally posted by Texans42 View Post
              Are you just rolling with the therma rest foam pad?
              Yea. Not a fan of inflatable. Too easy to have them leak. This may not be as good but it’s better than a flat inflatable

Comment

Anyone use a rain cover on their Exo 5500? I'm looking at getting a kuiu but want to make sure a large will fit.

Comment

Kill the camp Crocs and go to Walmart and buy a $.98 pair of flip-flops . It’ll cut probably 10 ounces or more .

Comment

Consider Palatypus collapsible water bags for water storage and a Smart Water bottle for drinking. your water (the tops on Smart Water bottles are nice). You would shave a few ounces here as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvilheadtexas View Post
                      Kill the camp Crocs and go to Walmart and buy a $.98 pair of flip-flops . It’ll cut probably 10 ounces or more .
                      The reason for crocs is to double for camp and stream crossing. I thought about it and wouldn’t want to blow out a flip flop in moving water and just have boots left.

Comment

Consider Palatypus collapsible water bags for water storage and a Smart Water bottle for drinking. your water (the tops on Smart Water bottles are nice). You would shave a few ounces here as well.
                        Have collapsible for storage and nalgene to carry

Comment

Originally posted by bphillips View Post
                          The reason for crocs is to double for camp and stream crossing. I thought about it and wouldn’t want to blow out a flip flop in moving water and just have boots left.
                          Unfortunately, I have experience with this. The flip flops WILL blow out in a stream crossing. They make great camp shoes for a thru-hiker, but the thong pulls out in a light breeze. The Crocs are EXTREMELY slippery in the water. I'm not talking about the bottom of the shoe slipping about on rocks, I mean your feet slips inside the shoe. Decent recipe for an ankle injury. If you're gunna rock the crocs...undersize a bit to make sure your foot stays in place.

Comment

Makes sense... the 98 centers are not good for anything but letting your feet air out before you go to bed . Not reliable if you are crossing streams.

Comment

Have collapsible for storage and nalgene to carry
                              Cool, those water bags are nice, But you don’t want to be drinking out of them unless you had a Sawyer attached.

Comment

Makes sense... the 98 centers are not good for anything but letting your feet air out before you go to bed . Not reliable if you are crossing streams.
                                I’d definitely be using the flip flops for elk or something else in the lower 48. I wasn’t wanting to the extra weight but figured it was a good idea

Comment

Working...
                                X