Pine Tree Harvest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pine Tree Harvest

I hunt a small track of land, 84 ac, by my self in East TX. I have learned that in the next weeks to month the Owner is having the pine trees harvested.

Pine groves are all next to the 20 ac field and pond. Hardwoods and scattered pines cover the rest of the property. I am assuming that they are not going to go and pick out the pines in the hard woods, but I have no idea.

What type of effect is going to have on my deer population and deer travel patterns? Will they return if they leave due to high traffic? And if they do will there travel patterns be altered?

Any experience with this please let me know what I might expect.

Could be the best thing that could happen. The deer won't mind at all. Its amazing how they will come out even when logging is going on!

Pines offer nothing in the way of deer feed. Beauty berry will immediately jump up along with broads that deer eat. The changing cover may change patterns but you will likely have more deer.

Comment

We always have the best hunting in the first few years after a pine harvest. All the new growth pulls in a lot of deer. They walk right past the feeder for it.

Comment

Glad to here. I am curious how it plays out and if it opens any new stand locations.

Comment

Originally posted by DesertDug View Post
          Glad to here. I am curious how it plays out and if it opens any new stand locations.

The skidder operator would likely push you some lanes right where you want them for a 50 .

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
            The skidder operator would likely push you some lanes right where you want them for a 50 .
            Thats funny was thinking similar idea, just nut sure I will be out there when they are. I would not think they work weekends.

Was a little worried about things sprouting legs and walking away, but hope this is not the case.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
              U ain't never lied....lol!!!
              What county? Pine prices has been disappointing for over a decade.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

As said Probably best thing that could happen...Get a few rains and it will be a gold mine..If you rifle hunter build a tall enough stand near Middle and you can hunt WHOLE place....or scope it out for deer patterns for bow hunt..

Comment

Working...
                X