TPWD heli hog kill questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TPWD heli hog kill questions

Was that TPWD that used the helicoper at Granger to kill 50 somthing hogs? What did they do with all of them besides test them for disease?

Just curious.... I know a lot of people let hogs lay for the varmints to eat but was curious if TPWD id the same.

Yes they just kill them and leave them for the yotes and vultures. There is still plenty of piglets out there that will grow big for next year. and I am sure there are alot of pigs still out there. But they just kill them and leave them.

Comment

So the 50 something pigs shot are the ones they actually found and took blood samples from? So they could have shot more? Just wondering how they get their kill count.

Comment

I aint positive on that. sorry

Comment

They took samples from ten of the pigs. Five from each of the two main areas that they killed the pigs from. Removing pigs feom the property to avoid them from overpopulating is their primary goal, testing for the deceases is second.

Comment

Thanks crod888. Is there any way I can prove to someone else this actually happened?

There is a big "waste of resources" debate over at this forum. http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/...40#Post1944940

People seem to think it's illegal to dispose of carp without eating them. If TPWD can dump and let lay pigs then that should say it's not illegal.

Also check this video out pretty neat.
            Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Yea but the thing about it the hogs are going to be eaten by vultures, yotes, and any other kinda pray the fish would go back in the water possibly and could cause disease and all that stuff it aint like the hogs are just ou there rotting they will be eaten for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by RiverRat1 View Post
                Thanks crod888. Is there any way I can prove to someone else this actually happened?

There is a big "waste of resources" debate over at this forum. http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/...40#Post1944940

People seem to think it's illegal to dispose of carp without eating them. If TPWD can dump and let lay pigs then that should say it's not illegal.

Also check this video out pretty neat.
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZzCM6fqvQis
                I got all my info from the Ranger there. He said that the TPWD doesn't have to give him or the Army Corp of Engineers (the operators of Granger) any information regarding the hunt because they don't pay for it. Any info that is given to him is of courtesy.

Comment

Its the farmers around there that push for the helicopter kill. What you have to remember is this reservoir is surrounded by blackland farm land and these hogs can absolutly destroy a corn or milo crop. 15 years ago there were no hogs in this area and the agricultural community wishes it was still that way, TPWD will protect the whitetail population but hogs are a pest and carry diseases that can be transmitted to livestock (brucellosis) as well, couple this with feral hogs ability to multiply quickly something has to be done to control them.
                  Last edited by boss bowman; 02-05-2008, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by boss bowman View Post
                    Its the farmers around there that push for the helicopter kill. What you have to remember is this reservoir is surrounded by blackland farm land and these hogs can absolutly destroy a corn or milo crop. 15 years ago there were no hogs in this area and the agricultural community wishes it was still that way, TPWD will protect the whitetail population but hogs are a pest and carry diseases that can be transmitted to livestock (brucellosis) as well, couple this with feral hogs ability to multiply quickly something has to be done to control them.
                    I agree!!! The Ranger told us last year that they had reported to them that there was approximatly 1000 hogs on Granger. I don't know how true that is but the Ranger did say that hogs breed 2 times a year and that they have 3-6 piglets at a time, they also can breed at 6 months of age. the Ranger said that they will never disappear. So im thinking that theres alot of hogs for us to love and the farmers to hate.

Comment

Yea I am sure the farmers would like you to love them more and kill them off.

Comment

maybe they should allow shotgun hunting if they are not going to allow rifles. i bet a few seasons of shotgun hunting will reduce the population somewhat. look at the old sabine bottoms, they allow shotguns and rifles and that population is way thinned out compared to what is was 5 years ago when i didnt have to go in a mile to kill some hogs.

Comment

where is sabine bottoms located?

Comment

Originally posted by quickstrike View Post
                            Yea but the thing about it the hogs are going to be eaten by vultures, yotes, and any other kinda pray the fish would go back in the water possibly and could cause disease and all that stuff it aint like the hogs are just ou there rotting they will be eaten for sure.
                            Turtles will eat those fish within a few minutes. I've had fish eaten by turtles that were on a stringer and still alive on numerous occasions. A group of local flyfishers (including me) used to stock a pond at a golf course with trout each winter. The trout would all die each spring when the water hit 70 degrees or so, and we NEVER saw any of them floating or had any smell problems or water disease problems. We did have healthy turtles.

Comment

Originally posted by boss bowman View Post
                              sounds to me like KARMA.....i feel no sorrow for the farmers.if its as bad as they say they could put the word out in the community im sure there are plenty of us here on this web site that wouldnt mind lending a hand getting rid of these so called pest,i dont have access to private land so i hunt public lands.granger should have a shotgun season,or at least donate the meat to the homeless.......

Comment

Working...
                              X