No announcement yet.

grainger hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think it's a crap shoot. They'll eat it when they find it, I don't think the time of day matters. Seems like the best thing would be to bait a site a few days before you hunt, and check it every day, rebait it after they find it, maybe they'll come back for more.

You don't check in anywhere. Just go hunt. I'd like to join you, but I still have a few deer tags to fill, and the clock is ticking.... I haven't been out there since last year. Good luck.

Comment

If you are going on saturday try behind the dam first if you dont see any sign also try willis creek and maybe that area to the right of the primitive boat launch. Just some areas where we have seen lots of signs this summer.

Comment

thanks....are there some pretty good trees around to hang a stand on? and how far off the road have you gone
        Last edited by pflugerville hillbilly; 12-24-2007, 04:22 PM.

Comment

Hey guys Im in georgetown myself and ive been to Granger a couple of times,(fishin mostly) but I would love to go along. Let Me Know. I work with a guy who knows the area pretty well. I could check with him for any info. Let Me know. Rodney

Comment

I was just there on TPWD Management hunt. Took 2 doe and 2 hogs 12/10&11/07.
            posted pic with "new to forum post" http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...ad.php?t=26588

He's not a monster but respectfully a 165# field dressed. There are some bigger ones. 2-225 field dressed came in to hunter check station. Course, we took these with rifle.
            Good luck everybody and be safe.

(make sure someone brings a sharpening stone when you go. )
            Last edited by no1hogkiller; 12-24-2007, 06:06 PM.

Comment

I think it's a crap shoot. They'll eat it when they find it
              hogs are impossible to pattern they're not creatures of habit like deer, middle of the day is a good time to hunt for hogs from trail cam pics I've gotten they don't seem to move very well in the moring

If you are going on saturday try behind the dam first if you dont see any sign also try willis creek and maybe that area to the right of the primitive boat launch.
              I don't think hunting is allows west of the ramp, at least on the draw hunts it wasn't.

Comment

I was just there on TPWD Management hunt. Took 2 doe and 2 hogs 12/10&11/07.
                posted pic with
                what area did they stick you in? we were there right before you on the archery hunt with no luck.

Comment

Count me in

I grew up in Granger so know the river some. Take HW29 from Georgetown to Hw95, 29 end at 95 just outside of CircleVille. Granger is to the left and Circleville/Taylor to the right. Take a left and get in the right hand lane. Take the frist right, not sure the county road number. Follow the road over the railroad tracks and keep going till it curves to the left, at the curve go right it turns into a gravel road and that is where Section 6 is. park in the first parking area. There will be a clear cut "road" that you can walk down. About 500 yards the clear cut will take a left. Go about 3 to 400 yards down and there will be an old telephone pole, the hogs rub against that. I put corn there by that post ans seen some hogs, have not shot one there. You can sit in the trees across from the pole, good spot to hide. behind those trees in an old farm stead area, great sign there too. You can follow the creek, lots of good spots for hog wallow. There is another area down the river that is a very good area and an old pond that has good sign. There i also a good mud wallow near the pond. I suggest you go with someone as the grass and weeds get tall so good to have someone just in case. I been there by my self a few times and it can get scary in the weeds.

Comment

Originally posted by boss bowman View Post
                    what area did they stick you in? we were there right before you on the archery hunt with no luck.
                    Area F & G. Hunt was a gun hunt.
                    Found hogs in G. Or they found me. Oh, F had hog highway and few wollows down in the bottoms near finger of lake/river. Sorry for poor description, first time there.

Comment

Area F & G. Hunt was a gun hunt.
                      Found hogs in G. Or they found me. Oh, F had hog highway and few wollows down in the bottoms near finger of lake/river. Sorry for poor description, first time there.
                      You did well for that area we hunted E, talked to the three guys who were in F (don't know if they were in G too), and they were ****** because they were seeing nothing all 5 days, and complaining there were not trees in their unit. I kinda got the sense they were new to public hunting/archery or inexperienced on this style of hunt.

Comment

anyone point me in the right direction to get topo maps of granger,and would tpwl have them? i used to work there a long time ago, every one i know is either retired or past on, or moved on....thanks

Comment

I have heard that there is a lot of pigs at granger but never hunted it, would like to try it out thou just for the fun of it if anything.

Comment

Sounds to me like it's already overhunted. There may be lots of pigs but the ones left learned real quick to only come out at night with all the year round pressure.

Would having a boat help or are most areas easy enough to get to by just walking? Just thought if there were less unpressured areas that takes a boat to get to that may increase our odds by a lot.

Comment

That whole area gets a lot of pressure. Not all that many hunters, but lots of people bank fishing, fishing from boats, camping, illegal camping, random pot heads, underage drinkers.

As far as I can tell the hogs out there are pretty educated. I've only seen them once, and that time I was fishing. One of the guys that works out there told me he likes to get a few guys together, find the hogs on an island, send one guy over to push them off the island and then they shoot them swimming.

Pretty good plan if you have a boat, a bunch of guys, and get lucky.

Comment

all right got the map part out of the way.....any one wanting to hunt and has gps numbers let me know and i will bait the area and we can get together and hunt...looking to get a group together before the granger ranger hunt and check out the lay of the land....looking to get out the weekend after deer season, buy then the corn should be nice and ripe.....the boating idea sounds good if someone has one....i have left over corn i can use as bait,but no boat....512-284-5388 is my # call if you want thank you

Comment

Working...
                                X