Public hunting around Greenville

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Public hunting around Greenville

I'm new to Texas and live in the Greenville area. Is there any public hunting around this area that may be good for Hogs. I got hooked on it a couple years ago in West Texas and would like to take it up again.

TeaMan

Caddo national grasslands is really close. Cooper WMA and Tawokani WMA are also good choices.

Comment

Is nothing sacred? Sure, he'll find out sooner or later, but do we have to advertise it? At any rate, welcome to the fire!!!

Comment

Try Cooper for hogs. Requires the $48 APH through TPWD. I love Cooper. Lots of hogs there, too. Check the dates for the upcoming shotgun hog season, as well. It's usually Feb through March, if I remember correctly.

Comment

Here's your page for Cooper Lake WMA.

It's about thirty minutes from Greenville. Great deer hunting there, too. It will take you a few trips to find your favorite areas. Cooper is an awesome place. The hog season is actually going on now...archery and shotgun slug or buck shot. You can check out the map and season dates, etc on the PDF at the bottom of that page.

Comment

Thanks

Hey thanks everyone for the feedback. Much appreciated.

One more question:

Can you leave a stand in these public areas or do you have to set up every day?

TeaMan

Comment

Hey Tea, I'm in Greenville too. There is a great little place to hunt hogs over on Lake Lavon. It's Corps land, which means FREE, all you have to have is a use permit (allows them to keep track of how many hunters are using the land), which is available from their office in Wylie, or by mail from their websited. It's bow only, and there is a ton of land...

Comment

Dont forget about Grapevine,lots of deer and hogs. Of course to get to your stand you'll have to hike past the soccer moms,BMX bikers,meth-heads and the teenagers making out in thier car. Urban hunting at its finest!

Comment

Thanks again guys. I was running around the lake Lavon area looking for property. It looked pretty inviting for hunting. Wish I would have found something to buy. Would be nice to be able to hunt almost in my own back yard.

Later.
                  TeaMan

Comment

Lake Lavon

I live in Wylie and would be great to stick a piggy within 10 min of the casa.

Comment

Working...
                    X