Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Loading cast bullets

About to dive into loading some fast stuff for
    My 357 max and 35 rem I’ve only ever loaded cast bullets that were sub sonic, so my question is how hot can I push cast projectiles without issues? They are not powder coated or gas checked.

I don’t know it’s hard to say. I run about 900 fps in my .44 magnum with cast 240’s over 8 grains of Unique. I run as hot as 9 grains with no leading problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Powder coat is the way to go and simple. All you need is some powder, cool whip bowl, colander a screen type basket to set them on while you put them in the toaster oven. I think I have less than $50 in it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
        About to dive into loading some fast stuff for
        My 357 max and 35 rem I’ve only ever loaded cast bullets that were sub sonic, so my question is how hot can I push cast projectiles without issues? They are not powder coated or gas checked.

Without GCs or powder coat, the rule of thumb if i recall correctly is 1200 fps
        Last edited by RJH1; 02-08-2021, 07:48 AM.

Comment

Thanks guys!

Comment

I run gas checked 255 gr 41 rem mags at +1500 all the way up to 1700. Not a problem with those old Leadhead bullets. The old Leadheads used 11% antimony in the alloy giving them a Brinell 22 hardness. I would think the alloy would make a difference. Pure lead might not work so well at my load velocities.

Comment

I’ve only recently started casting but I haven’t been gas checking my pistol rounds, only my 223. Powder coat is the way to go. I picked up some Eastwood powder coat and it worked great.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                I run gas checked 255 gr 41 rem mags at +1500 all the way up to 1700. Not a problem with those old Leadhead bullets. The old Leadheads used 11% antimony in the alloy giving them a Brinell 22 hardness. I would think the alloy would make a difference. Pure lead might not work so well at my load velocities.

I’ve sadly run out of them, but I have used a 300gr gas checked hardcast from Leadhead’s in my Marlin Guide Gun loaded to 2215fps. No problems at all. I keep the plain base hardcast bullets to about 1200fps in my Super Blackhawk as a “mild” load (that will still go lengthwise through a deer).

I think it’s the old wax coated messy swayed lead bullets that you have to keep the velocity low. I think those were for sub-1000 fps. I don’t see them for sale much anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
                  I’ve sadly run out of them, but I have used a 300gr gas checked hardcast from Leadhead’s in my Marlin Guide Gun loaded to 2215fps. No problems at all. I keep the plain base hardcast bullets to about 1200fps in my Super Blackhawk as a “mild” load (that will still go lengthwise through a deer).

I think it’s the old wax coated messy swayed lead bullets that you have to keep the velocity low. I think those were for sub-1000 fps. I don’t see them for sale much anymore.

One deez days I'm gonna find me some Leadhead clone bullets. Let me know if you get a line on some that are as good. I be looking for .41 in 255 to 270 gr. flat nose Keith style gas checked.

Comment

Found these and they appear to be 11% antimony Bn22 hardness. Kinda pricey though. https://rimrockbullets.com/xcart/g-c...category_id=15

Comment

Looks like I’ll go the powder coat method I’ve heard about the harbor freight powder coat. Is there a powder coat that works better or does it not matter?

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                        One deez days I'm gonna find me some Leadhead clone bullets. Let me know if you get a line on some that are as good. I be looking for .41 in 255 to 270 gr. flat nose Keith style gas checked.

I was going to suggest Rim Rock but I see that you beat me to it! I placed an order with them in January. Processing time was 8-10 weeks, so I will have to be patient. I ordered some 260gr Keith plain base for my Super Blackhawk, and some 158gr WFN plain base for my 357 Blackhawk. As much as I would prefer gas checks, I was going for “cost effectiveness”. That 260gr loaded to about 1200 will do all I’ll even need it to, and though I don’t hunt with my 357, a WFN should be a hammer if I ever decide to try.

I wish they had a heavier 30cal gas checked bullet. I’d like to load some for my son’s 30-30.

Comment

I've always kept my cast below 1000fps in .45 acp and 9MM. Even at those speeds, I would get very light leading of the barrel over 100s of rounds. The chore boy copper scrub pads make quick work of it, though.

Once I moved to powdercoating, zero leading. There was a guy selling a "kawasaki green" powdercoat on that cast boolits forum. I tried several colors and brands and this one coated the best with plastic BBs in a cool whip bowl. The HF powder didn't stick well for me at all and I finally gave up on it.

White Label Lube also worked pretty well to reduce/eliminate leading. You put a bit in a bowl, warm it, swirl your cast around in and set them up on wax paper and let it harden. It's kind of messy, though, but easy to lube 100 or so at a time.

Comment

Home made gas checks are easy to make. Lots of YouTube on how to make out of different materials. And how to attach them.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                              Looks like I’ll go the powder coat method I’ve heard about the harbor freight powder coat. Is there a powder coat that works better or does it not matter?

There is better stuff. I have been using the HF for awhile and its decent.

Get on castbullets forum and do some reading. There is TONS of info on that site.

Comment

Working...
                              X