Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mechanical Broad Head Failure (How does it affect flight pattern?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mechanical Broad Head Failure (How does it affect flight pattern?)

Hey guys,
    Fairly new to bow hunting. This is my second season shooting a bow. Saturday morning I shot a doe. I had my pin directly behind her front leg. My arrow ended up just in front of her rear. Luckily hitting an artery. She didn’t go more than (50) yards. I was shocked that I was off that much. A buddy of mine videoed it, looking back my mechanical broad head opened up immediately. The video also showed that the arrow was not on a straight flight pattern. Can your broadheads opening up screw that up or did I make a poor shot????? The doe was (42) yards.

Thanks in advance for the info.

I would guess it had more to do with the arrow than the broadhead opening up. But the broadhead still could have done that.

Comment

A mechanical broadhead that opens in flight will cause flight issues. I watched a guy shoot at an antelope several years ago with a mechanical broadhead that arrow went no where near the goat the rubber bands were dry rotted and broke when he shot.

Comment

What do you mean? What could be wrong with the arrow? Like to light for the setup?

Comment

The blind was tight for two people. I know my broad-head kept hitting the side of the stand. I didn’t even think to check it because I didn’t know this was a “thing”. What made me look into it was how badly I missed my spot.

Comment

Sometimes you just make a bad shot. I shot a doe yesterday morning. Aiming for the crease and hit her in the back hip. I have been bow hunting for 8 years and never missed that badly before. I felt like a dog **** on the bottom of a boot, watching her run off with 25 inches of arrow sticking out of her. I was shooting slick tricks. I can't blame mine on anything but the indian

Comment

Yes an open blade can cause flight issues

Comment

Shoot Veteran broadheads and no flight issues

Comment

A lot can go wrong at 42 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                    A lot can go wrong at 42 yards.

Word

Comment

The open broadhead probably had some impact on the arrow flight. I tried Rage a long time ago and they consistently opened upon release, they went in the trash.

A little unsolicited advice. Shooting at a deer 42 yards away is way too far, they have all kinds of time to move. Most folks on here would recommend keeping it under 25 yards, more would probably say 20. Especially if you’re shooting from a ground blind.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                        The open broadhead probably had some impact on the arrow flight. I tried Rage a long time ago and they consistently opened upon release, they went in the trash.

A little unsolicited advice. Shooting at a deer 42 yards away is way too far, they have all kinds of time to move. Most folks on here would recommend keeping it under 25 yards, more would probably say 20. Especially if you’re shooting from a ground blind.
                        42 may not be too far. You don't know this guy his abilities what not... Sooo lets all not assume things... That said at least half the fun of this game is getting them CLOSE

That said OP yes if the broad head opened in flight it can cause plaining issues for sure

What broad head?

Comment

Mechanical BH opening in flight would cause accuracy issues. Im sure your arrow is fine.

Comment

These were Rage-2 Blade SC broad-heads. First site of the arrow on camera the blades were completely open.

Comment

I switched to the rage NC (No collar) and haven't had any issues with blades opening early, or successful blade deployment at impact. They clip in nicely. Although, 35 yards is the furthest opportunity I've had since switching, still got a full pass through.

Comment

Working...
                              X