No announcement yet.

Cover scent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I use EverCalm and the deer seem to be at ease when they come in.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
      how long do you have to stand in smoke to kill bacteria? 8-10 hours?
      I have an old pop up that I put up, hang my clothes on a rack on the inside and use my bee smoker to smoke my clothes. As far as what i do before I go out is to try and stay as clean as possible. I keep my clothes in an enclosed styrofoam box when I am not wearing them.

Smoke kills bacteria that causes body odors. Works like a charm

Comment

Only until you hit the ‘stall’

Comment

I use Tink's smoke sticks - All Season scent. They work great, especially if you're in a pop-up or Krivoman type blind. I was in my Krivo the other day with the 2 middle windows open, smoke stick burning inside the blind underneath the open windows. Wind was blowing from blind to the feeder (terrible). Had whitetail does with fawns from 3 yards to 40 yards all morning. Never had one even get nervous.

It's better than just smoking your clothes. You'll get smoked inside the blind. It's not terrible, but you're gonna smell like smoke when you're done hunting. Having it burning the whole time you're sitting really covers your scent, and the smoke doesn't spook the deer at all. Seems to work just as well as ozone for me.

Comment

Marlboros

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Until you reach an IT of 165.

Comment

No... all that will give you is a nice smoke ring. LOL!

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                  Until you reach an IT of 165.
                  Yes! Then wrap yourself in butcher paper. Should be good.

Comment

Originally posted by LRam19 View Post
                    Just curious what everyone on the green screen uses for cover scent? Im having an issue with scent control in the spot im hunting. What seems to work the best for everyone here?
                    Skunk..... it's undefeated. I keep myself clean, my clothes clean, and use skunk scent. I pay zero attention to the wind and haven't in 40 years. Have had MANY mature animals dead downwind over the years and they've never winded me. In KS I've had em light blow and haul arse, 20 or 30 yards, but, never panic for the hills from detecting human scent.

Kroll did a pretty extensive study of various scents and I read it. His conclusion was most packaged doe in heat, etc were more or less a waste of money. However, he stated that skunk was by far the best cover scent. "Skunk overrides everything"
                    You can research it yourself and verify.
                    Last edited by Slicefixer; 12-03-2020, 06:14 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Slicefixer View Post
                      Skunk..... it's undefeated. I keep myself clean, my clothes clean, and use skunk scent. I pay zero attention to the wind and haven't in 40 years. Have had MANY mature animals dead downwind over the years and they've never winded me. In KS I've had em light blow and haul arse, 20 or 30 yards, but, never panic for the hills from detecting human scent.

Kroll did a pretty extensive study of various scents and I read it. His conclusion was most packaged doe in heat, etc were more or less a waste of money. However, he stated that skunk was by far the best cover scent. "Skunk overrides everything"
                      You can research it yourself and verify.
                      I will disagree with this statement to a certain extent. My theory is "why did a skunk spray to leave that odor?" What spooked it to spray? Yes it is out there, MAYBE, BUT to me I personally think the best cover scent outside of smoking your clothes is "Cattle Scent" Not many places or leases in Texas that do not have cattle and their scent is basically everywhere. Pete Rickards use to sell Cattle Scent and it worked well for me. Better than stepping in a cow pattie going to the stand. Just my opinion.

Comment

So the only time skunks put off scent is when they are spooked...Nope

Comment

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
                          Marlboros

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

A guy where we hunt in Frio County has been using this for years. He smokes in the stand and from what I can tell has never been busted by a deer.

Right Adam?

Comment

Originally posted by Johnny44 View Post
                            So the only time skunks put off scent is when they are spooked...Nope
                            Hehehe......then you've never had a skunk saunter by with you in a ground blind 20' away.....I'll assure you they smell.....

Comment

Mexico vanilla 1part vanilla 2 parts water for the last 35 plus years

Comment

My post was sarcastic

Comment

Working...
                                X