Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Memories of yesteryear..... how many remember?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Those were the days.... I lived in Cypress (houston) and remember mattress mack in his matress outfit for advertising, look at him now. I still remember him saying, ""6006 I45 north between tidwell and parker"" At least that's what I remember..

Comment

Pardon my ignorance, but are any of the Von Erich's still alive? I remember one or two of them passing away in the late 80's or early 90's but I may be mistaken.

Comment

Originally posted by RogueSamurai View Post
        Pardon my ignorance, but are any of the Von Erich's still alive? I remember one or two of them passing away in the late 80's or early 90's but I may be mistaken.
        I believe Kevin is still alive

Comment

Ah yes... Freebirds and Von Erichs... the ultimate wrestling fued.

Kevin and Kerry used to come in to Champion Fitness Center in Lewisville when I was there.

Kevin was always full of stories and Kerry was always high as a kite.

Five of Fritz's six sons died before him (three by suicide).

Kevin is the sole survivor.

It's a movie that needs to happen.

Comment

I grew up in the Big Easy and remember going to the Municipal Auditorium to watch UWF matches that were run by Leroy McGuirk. He sold out to Cowboy Bill Watts who formed Mid South Wrestling in the late 70's.

My fondest memories are the feuds between JYD and Freebird Michael Hayes, Stagger Lee & Watts vs. the Midnight Express, etc

These guys were always in the mix: Ted DiBiase, Steve "Dr Death" Williams, Skandar Akbar and Devastation Inc, Kamala the Ugandan Giant, Ice Man King Parsons, Ernie "Big Cat" Ladd, Dusty Roads, Magnum TA, the Guerrero brothers, and the Nature Boy Buddy Landel

Those were the days

Comment

the iron claw once it was on it was over

Comment

Our family was glued to the TV on Saturday nights when wrestling came on. Seems like it was on right after Hee Haw or something like that. We finally wore my dad down and he took us to see some "live rasslin" at the Sportatorium a couple of times.

If you would have told us (a bunch of 10-12 year olds) that wrestling was fake we would never have believed it. Those were the days.

Comment

My grandad used to watch all of them on TV, and I'd watch with him at his house sometimes. I remember all those guys. Also Terry and Dory Funk, Jr. Terry used to live on the ranch on the east side of Canyon where the creek runs through and under the highway. I don't know if he stll lives there or not. He had cutting horses, I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                    My grandad used to watch all of them on TV, and I'd watch with him at his house sometimes. I remember all those guys. Also Terry and Dory Funk, Jr. Terry used to live on the ranch on the east side of Canyon where the creek runs through and under the highway. I don't know if he stll lives there or not. He had cutting horses, I think.
                    I remember one of the Funks being interviewed on San Angelo tv.....he said they had these "grudge matches' and acted like they wanted to kill each other then all load up in his broken down Cadillac and head for Abilene, Odessa or wherever.....beer bottles flying out the windows...

Comment

Never saw a raslin match there, but I did see a Willie Nelson concert there in the 70's.

Comment

Never missed one on TV on Friday Nights! I used to beat the snot out of the couch pillows in front of the TV. Remember Kamala the Ugundan Giant and The Missing Link?! Lol. Good times.

Comment

I remember watching it on TV when I was a kid. Never did get to go to a match though. We had a lot of fun watching it.

The Sportatorium has an interesting history, for those who aren't old enough to remember:

Jim Gatewood wrote a book that included it, and some of the stars that boxed and wrestled there during the depression: http://www.dcarb.com/dallas-history/j-frank-norris.htm

Comment

My great grandma would get mad as a hornet if you tried to tell her wrestling was fake! My grandpa hated it.

Comment

Man there were a bunch of them Hacksaw Jim Dugan was alwasys a favorite along with many of the already mentioned

Comment

Used to watch them on TV with a bucket of popcorn.

I remember a wrestler named "Goldeneagle", never would of thought that was you!

Comment

Working...
                                X