Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old Yesterday, 03:19 PM   #1
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Smith County, Stephens County
Default What the heck is trade value?

I know it's been covered before but I'm bored and still don't get it. I have a gun worth $100 cash but if I trade I want $150 in trade value. If trading makes the value go up doesn't the item your trading FOR go up in value also? It makes zero sense to me. Carry on...
BowSlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM   #2
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

It means they prefer cash. If you want to offer something in trade it has to be worth their time.
TX03RUBI is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM   #3
Apodz
Six Point

Hunt In: Central, Brazos Valley and West Texas

I think it’s just the times we are in right now. People will “trade” for something at a higher value because they can’t find it anywhere else. Just my guess.
Apodz is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 03:24 PM   #4
COACH_EM_UP
Ten Point

Hunt In: Florence, Doss, Fredericksburg

I dont know exactly what it means. I think it is stupid as heck. I do know that when I see a higher trade value than cash value, I just hit the back button and don't even give them the time of day.
COACH_EM_UP is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 03:29 PM   #5
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post
I dont know exactly what it means. I think it is stupid as heck. I do know that when I see a higher trade value than cash value, I just hit the back button and don't even give them the time of day.

I have to admit if I see something with a cash price and an inflated price for trade value I back out too. Lol
Old Yesterday, 03:36 PM   #6
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX03RUBI View Post
It means they prefer cash. If you want to offer something in trade it has to be worth their time.

Then they should just say something like ďI donít really want to trade but I will if I can put the screws to youĒ.
Old Yesterday, 03:46 PM   #7
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BowSlayer View Post
Then they should just say something like ďI donít really want to trade but I will if I can put the screws to youĒ.
Or they could say ďcash value ***, trade value ***Ē Not their fault it hurts your feelings.
Old Yesterday, 03:47 PM   #8
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Or they could say ďcash value ***, trade value ***Ē Not their fault it hurts your feelings.

Lighten up. Geez Frances
Old Yesterday, 03:48 PM   #9
McPatrickClan
Ten Point

I take it to mean, hey I have this Glock that I have $500 into and well, that's maybe a bit high, but maybe you have a compound bow that you have $500 and maybe that's a bit high, but hey why don't we swap and then the sticker shock isn't so bad because, well, you wanted a Glock and I wanted a new bow.
McPatrickClan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 03:52 PM   #10
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
Lighten up. Geez Frances
My apologies. It came across as butthurt and snarky. I tend to respond the same when so.
Old Yesterday, 03:52 PM   #11
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by COACH_EM_UP View Post

Yep

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM   #12
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

I means they prefer not to trade.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 04:08 PM   #13
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Hunt In: now accepting invitations!

It means they need to get into politics.
Texastaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 04:12 PM   #14
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Let’s be honest here. Too many of y’all throw out some dumb*** trade offers. You want to do that be my guest. It’s going to be in my favor if I accept it. Ifs it’s something I actually want (I’ll list it in the ad) and then I’ll give you same as cash value if it’s in good condition. Y’all that skip right over it aren’t hurting anyone’s feelings. That’s exactly what we wanted you to do. Keeps the stupid to a minimum.
Old Yesterday, 04:14 PM   #15
careybirdwell
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Melvin, TX

It doesn't bother me. I have listed a $600 Weatherby Vanguard for $325 cash or trade for something of similar value, only to have people ask about trading for a $300 Remington 770. It I'm trading, I'm wanting to trade for new to new value or used to used value, but not my used price for your new price
careybirdwell is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 04:14 PM   #16
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

I see adds listed the way I don’t like all the time. I keep right on scrolling. They don’t have to deal with me and vice versa. Works out in everyone’s favor.
Old Yesterday, 04:16 PM   #17
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Letís be honest here. Too many of yíall throw out some dumb*** trade offers. You want to do that be my guest. Itís going to be in my favor if I accept it. Ifs itís something I actually want (Iíll list it in the ad) and then Iíll give you same as cash value if itís in good condition. Yíall that skip right over it arenít hurting anyoneís feelings. Thatís exactly what we wanted you to do. Keeps the stupid to a minimum.

You arenít going to live long with your anger issues. Lol

Seriously, lighten up. It was not that serious of a thread. Calling folks stupid seems well stupid.
Old Yesterday, 04:17 PM   #18
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
You arenít going to live long with your anger issues. Lol

Seriously, lighten up. It was not that serious of a thread. Calling folks stupid seems well stupid.
I didnít call anyone stupid. I said the offers we receive are stupid. Hence posting the way we do.
Old Yesterday, 04:18 PM   #19
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
I didnít call anyone stupid. I said the offers we receive are stupid. Hence posting the way we do.

How does inflating the value of something change the offers youíll get?
Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM   #20
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
How does inflating the value of something change the offers you’ll get?
I’ve already seen plenty of people posting they keep on scrolling if so. Seems to work quite well. Offer me want I want and I’ll take a fair value. Offer me your junk or something I don’t need/want and I’m going to come out ahead. If people think they’re coming out on the losing side they don’t tend to offer it.
Old Yesterday, 04:22 PM   #21
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Iíve already seen plenty of people posting they keep on scrolling if so. Seems to work quite well. Offer me want I want and Iíll take a fair value. Offer me your junk or something I need/want and Iím going to come out ahead. If people think theyíre coming out on the losing side they donít tend to offer it.

I can assure you Iíve never made a trade offer that wasnít fair. And Iím one of the ones that backs out when people do that. Mainly because it makes zero sense. If you donít want to trade, donít trade. If someone makes an offer you donít like, donít take it. Itís not rocket science.
Old Yesterday, 04:25 PM   #22
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Quote:
I can assure you I’ve never made a trade offer that wasn’t fair. And I’m one of the ones that backs out when people do that. Mainly because it makes zero sense. If you don’t want to trade, don’t trade. If someone makes an offer you don’t like, don’t take it. It’s not rocket science.
I’m not saying you have. Plenty do though. It keeps it to a minimum. If you’ve seen my inbox when I post things you’d understand. I don’t like or use junk, but plenty of people think it’s ok to offer 5 junk $30 parts in trade for something that’s $150 value. When that $150 value is based off used prices, and the 5 junk parts aren’t worth the box they’re sent in used. Things of that nature
Old Yesterday, 04:27 PM   #23
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

You asked a question. My second response was snide, as I believed yours was as well. The rest haven’t had any attitude even though it may come across that way. I’m brash and don’t really care to sugar coat things, but there was no ill intent meant.
Old Yesterday, 04:28 PM   #24
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Iím not saying you have. Plenty do though. It keeps it to a minimum. If youíve seen my inbox when I post things youíd understand. I donít like or use junk, but plenty of people think itís ok to offer 5 junk $30 parts in trade for something thatís $150 value. When that $150 value is based off used prices, and the 5 junk parts arenít worth the box theyíre sent in used. Things of that nature

I agree 100 percent. People make dumb trade offers all the time. All Iím saying is you canít inflate your price to weed out dumb offers. Dumb people do what dumb people do.
Old Yesterday, 04:29 PM   #25
rladner
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

I'm just assuming here, but seems to me that if they have a cash value, that is what they want. It is liquid and they can use it for just about anything. If you are going to offer them trade value, then they will require a premium since it is not as liquid and in the end they may take on the burden of selling that item for cash at some point.

I'm not saying that is the way I do business but since the thread was about "understanding", I'm just throwing out a theory.

for the record, I have nothing for sale or trade .
rladner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 04:31 PM   #26
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

I could be way off and it confuses me too, but I was kind of thinking it was basically the new price of the item. That gives people a direct comparison of what something costs new. Obviously demand changes stuff like that, ammo and guns for example new price would be very close to used price whereas a compound bow new price would be much higher than used price.
justletmein is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM   #27
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

I’ll trade you my opinion for $100
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 07:48 PM   #28
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
Iíll trade you my opinion for $100

Cash value?
Old Yesterday, 07:54 PM   #29
justletmein
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Public lands

Quote:
Cash value?
$0.02 maybe?

Sorry Fishndude I had to!
justletmein is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 08:17 PM   #30
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

What gets me is people trading guns for bows. Bows depreciate to zero value. Guns never go to zero.

Anyone want to to trade a top of the line clean Bear Whitetail for 1984 Remington 700 BDL Ď06?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
175gr7.62 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 08:21 PM   #31
TexasHayBaler
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishndude View Post
Iíll trade you my opinion for $100
I want to trade you 5 knives made in Pakistan. They are made of sharpless stainless.
TexasHayBaler is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM   #32
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHayBaler View Post
I want to trade you 5 knives made in Pakistan. They are made of sharpless stainless.
Lmao
Old Yesterday, 08:26 PM   #33
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by justletmein View Post
$0.02 maybe?

Sorry Fishndude I had to!
Thatís a tad high.
Old Yesterday, 08:28 PM   #34
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

Here's how I take it.... its basically just listing a price close to retail or what was paid so that folks know what would be an acceptable trade item value without adding some to the kitty.

Gun ad example: I'll take $200 for it but I paid $300 for it. My trade value is gonna be higher for folks so they know that I don't want their $200 gun they'd sell for $100 in this instance... If I can get cash I'll take a lesser amount so I can spend it how I want but we need to trade equal values...or you gotta add cash to even it out. makes perfect sense to me.

Say I have a $300 Seiko I would take $200 cash for. I'd only trade it for something of like value...I'm not going to trade it for a $200 Citizen somebody would sell for $100 and not get some added to the kitty. It just saves some negotiating time and fends off the jakelegs offering a pack of gum and a rubberband.
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old Yesterday, 08:30 PM   #35
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smart View Post
Here's how I take it.... its basically just listing a price close to retail or what was paid so that folks know what would be an acceptable trade item value without adding some to the kitty.

Gun ad example: I'll take $200 for it but I paid $300 for it. My trade value is gonna be higher for folks so they know that I don't want their $200 gun they'd sell for $100 in this instance... If I can get cash I'll take a lesser amount so I can spend it how I want but we need to trade equal values...or you gotta add cash to even it out. makes perfect sense to me.

Say I have a $300 Seiko I would take $200 cash for. I'd only trade it for something of like value...I'm not going to trade it for a $200 Citizen somebody would sell for $100 and not get some added to the kitty. It just saves some negotiating time and fends off the jakelegs offering a pack of gum and a rubberband.

If I have a gun thatís worth $300 cash and you have a gun thatís worth $300 cash is it acceptable to offer to trade even if the seller wants $350 trade value?
Old Yesterday, 08:36 PM   #36
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
If I have a gun that’s worth $300 cash and you have a gun that’s worth $300 cash is it acceptable to offer to trade even if the seller wants $350 trade value?

I would think if both guns are worth $300 cash they'd be similar trade values. The problem arises when somebody overvalues their lesser item...
Old Yesterday, 08:38 PM   #37
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
I would think if both guns are worth $300 cash they'd be similar trade values. The problem arises when somebody overvalues their lesser item...

I agree. I just put a cash price and if someone offers to trade something a literal 30 second google search of their item will tell you what itís worth.
Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM   #38
Smart
Pope & Young

Say some one wants to sell their Ruger 10/22 for $200 for the cash flexbility....but retail its worth $275-300. Somebody else who wanted a 10/22 instead settles for a $199 Marlin retail. They then see the $200 cash price of the Ruger and say hey, I'll trade you my Marlin straight up. I just paid $200 for it. This is a classic overvaluing of a lesser item in a trade.
Old Yesterday, 08:45 PM   #39
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
Say some one wants to sell their Ruger 10/22 for $200 for the cash flexbility....but retail its worth $275-300. Somebody else who wanted a 10/22 instead settles for a $199 Marlin retail. They then see the $200 cash price of the Ruger and say hey, I'll trade you my Marlin straight up. I just paid $200 for it. This is a classic overvaluing of a lesser item in a trade.

Inflating the price of your item isnít going to stop stupidity. Anybody that offers a gun thatís $200 new for a gun thatís $300 new should know better. If they donít, your ďtrade valueĒ means nothing to them.
Old Yesterday, 08:47 PM   #40
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
I agree. I just put a cash price and if someone offers to trade something a literal 30 second google search of their item will tell you what it’s worth.

I agree but some folks who trade a lot stave off the lowballers by giving them a value that is acceptable....so as not to waste their time
Old Yesterday, 08:48 PM   #41
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
Inflating the price of your item isn’t going to stop stupidity. Anybody that offers a gun that’s $200 new for a gun that’s $300 new should know better. If they don’t, your “trade value” means nothing to them.

It happens and its worth a shot.. Even a gill net full of ripped holes stops a few fish
Old Yesterday, 08:53 PM   #42
BowSlayer
Pope & Young

Quote:
It happens and its worth a shot.. Even a gill net full of ripped holes stops a few fish

True

What about the trade only guys? Iím not talking about ammo but other large things. Iíve seen multiple people post items like atvs for ďtrade onlyĒ. People ask them over and over how much cash and itís not for sale, only trade. Never understood that either. Makes me think they only want to get rid of it if they can get more than itís worth. I avoid the ďtrade onlyĒ sellers too. Iím not sure if they understand they can trade cash for anything they want. Lol
Old Yesterday, 08:59 PM   #43
Smart
Pope & Young

Quote:
True

What about the trade only guys? Iím not talking about ammo but other large things. Iíve seen multiple people post items like atvs for ďtrade onlyĒ. People ask them over and over how much cash and itís not for sale, only trade. Never understood that either. Makes me think they only want to get rid of it if they can get more than itís worth. I avoid the ďtrade onlyĒ sellers too. Iím not sure if they understand they can trade cash for anything they want. Lol

My thought in that is some folks just like to dicker....and they feel like they can get a like value item trading versus taking the hit on the cash price and have to add to it to get what they want. But that's just a WAG! I've never been a trade only person.
Old Yesterday, 10:04 PM   #44
asu-indian
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Kansas

And some want cash and won’t take a casher’s check.
asu-indian is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top